None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1797 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver

schwinn comp or Bowflex

Could somebody give me a mini review of those product? I am looking into the schwinn comp base model but i'm afraid of the recalls from bowflex.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2086 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Big Brother wrote:Could somebody give me a mini review of those product? I am looking into the schwinn comp base model but i'm afraid of the recalls from bowflex.
I'm personally not a fan of these types of gyms (weider crossbow/crossbar is another example)...I've tried my friend's crossbow a couple of times - you'll get a good workout out of it, but I prefer the more traditional stack-drive home gyms. I personally work with just dumbells and a bench at home, but if you're looking for a home gym and willing to spend the $$ for a bowflex/schwinn...I'd say go for stack-drive system, unless you absolutely have to have the quietness of the bowflex/schwinn.
Here's a good deal on a Body Solid, great company with an unbeatable warranty,
http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_inf ... ts_id=1789

reviews,
http://www.home-gym-review.com/Body-Sol ... me-Gym.htm
http://www.trainersecrets.com/home_gym/ ... _1500s.htm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
Looks like bowflex realized the limitations of spring based training. Now they have this:
http://www.bowflexselecttech.ca/products.asp

Here's something I wrote about the bowflex a while back. You might find it useful.
Mintmaster wrote:Bowflex is not very good for working out the stabilizer muscles. Yes you shake like crazy when pressing, but there is no inertial resistance to the handles, so your stabilizer muscles are not doing any work. If you have dumbells, it takes an appreciable force to accelerate and decelerate the mass if it goes slightly out of position. The bowflex is good for developing control, though, so for gymnists it could be beneficial.

I don't like it for strength training for a couple of reasons. First, the lack of inertial stability often makes it hard to use a high weight. I use dumbells a lot more than I use a bar, so I have better stability than most people, but even then I couldn't feel anything in my chest doing presses, and I was wobbling a lot.
The second problem is that it is spring based. By it's very nature, the force increases throughout the range of motion, as you mentioned. Subjectively, I'd say it's a factor of 2 at least. I don't know about you, but even 15% more weight for me is enough to cross from an easy 10 reps to 5 tough reps. So this feature is a very bad thing. I'd only be pushing the limit of my strength for a small part of the motion, and the rest will be easy. DeeCee is absolutely right.

Finally, the cost is way too high. These plastic "power rods" cost much less than steel does, so it should be less than other home gyms. Add to this the fact that a recall was issued, and you know that all the money is going to marketing.

This is not to say it's useless. I totally agree with you regarding ballistic motion. This will be very useful for sports. For circuit training and a full body cardio workout the bowflex should be good as well. However, don't buy it for strength training. I was expecting a lot more when I tried one out.
What are your goals? I'd strongly advise against a bowflex unless you fall into the specific categories I mentioned. It's definately overpriced, so buy a Schwinn if you really want one, which is still overpriced IMO. I agree, the recall is very alarming.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
if ur looking to get a bowflex make sure it is a brand new one because they just had a recall on it a week or 2 ago
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
To me the bowflex is a rip off, how can anyone buy something for soo much. you can go to fitness depo and get a good gym set for 1100
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1797 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
Alright, thanks for the comments. It's just that i see a schwinn comp base model system for 650 at fitness depot. I will invest my money into that tv in my basement instead.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5480 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
okay I have a bow flex.

Honestly no machine in the world can replace free wieghts. But when it comes to machine vs machine boflex would be near the top. If suddenly free wieghts were suddenly no available I would definitely use the boflex.

Bowflex Vs free weight (dumbells): to me dumbells are the best especially when it comes to benching, works your stabilizer muscles in ways that barbells and normal metal weight machines cant. I find with the bowflex your stablizing muscles are also very well worked, hence the shaking. However 100 lb on bolfex is definitely easier than 100lb on free weight, I would discount bowflex stated weight resistance by 25%. Also you can do most excercises, but many are a bit awkward to do, and you do not get full extension in many cases.

The reason why I got the bowflex was because, My floors got so marked up with dumbells. Working out with dumbells is also very loud. Normal Machines were also very loud and I did not have the space for a large machine. Bowflew was as close to a free wieght feel as I got with machines, it was small, but very expensive.

Value wise the bowflex is very bad value, expensive base unit, and if you want to really get results you have to pay through the nose for upgrade parts. If i could do it all over again, I would not buy the bowflex, if it was half the cost then I would get it.

But so far only the bowflex offers the following: small, relatively quite, safe, free weight feeling resistance, does not ruin you floor, is relatively light(about 60 lbs or less I think).

Overall your money is better spent on a good gym membership.
Nov 25, 2002
537 posts
66 upvotes
Winnipeg
Has anyone tried these?

The idea is cool, but the price it nuts.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
The price is definately nuts, but if I had to choose, I'd take that over the bowflex (which costs even more), even if they were the same price. Of course, traditional dumbells is by FAR a better value, but you'd have to get adjustable ones to keep the cost reasonable.

I think I saw those at finess depot for around $400 or so. If you really want to save the time switching weights on dumbell bars (which I do while catching my breath anyway), have the dough, and find 50lbs per hand is enough, go for them. Personally, I think it's better to get the manual equivalent for something like $60.

One last thing to consider is safety. With ordinary adjustable dumbells, you'll always have protruding ends of the main bar. If the weight falls or your arm gives way, it could injure youself pretty badly. These things have those dials on the ends, and you wouldn't hurt yourself as badly.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2002
2025 posts
14 upvotes
Hamilton
Fightguard wrote:I'm personally not a fan of these types of gyms (weider crossbow/crossbar is another example)...I've tried my friend's crossbow a couple of times - you'll get a good workout out of it, but I prefer the more traditional stack-drive home gyms. I personally work with just dumbells and a bench at home, but if you're looking for a home gym and willing to spend the $$ for a bowflex/schwinn...I'd say go for stack-drive system, unless you absolutely have to have the quietness of the bowflex/schwinn.
Here's a good deal on a Body Solid, great company with an unbeatable warranty,
http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_inf ... ts_id=1789

reviews,
http://www.home-gym-review.com/Body-Sol ... me-Gym.htm
http://www.trainersecrets.com/home_gym/ ... 1500s.h tm
Can you get more then the 160 Ibs to work out the larger muscle groups on that machine you linked to?
Heatware 152-0-0 and climbing
Ebay 77+ (87+)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2086 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
moose3833 wrote:Can you get more then the 160 Ibs to work out the larger muscle groups on that machine you linked to?
I'm not 100% sure on this....but you might be able to get an attachment that goes on top of the wieght stack that will let you add on your own freeweights/plates.
I don't know if there is one for this model (or if there's something generic) but I have seen them though so I know they exist.
Jan 4, 2005
656 posts
Can somebody explain to me what this recall is about? this is the first time I am hearing about it!

Anyways...here's my $.02 regarding the Bowflex which I do have

As stated earlier, the Bowflex is absolutely terrible for strength training, so if you're looking for a machine that will make you big you might as well spend the money on a gym membership.

The Bowflex is only good for people who have 2 and ONLY 2 goals in mind.
1. Lose weight
2. More definition

Thats it!

I bought the Bowflex in Sep 04, and I've lost 45lbs and I am extremely more defined. I'm basically cut like Usher :cheesygri But now that I reached my desired goal its only natural that I want to get big, which is why for certain excercises I only use free weights.

BTW I plan on buying that new Bowflex Selecttech, and I'll let you know how that goes.

People here always go off on how expensive the Bowflex is which is technically true, but here's a little secret that Bowflex does not advertise that I am going to share...

If you are already a Bowflex owner and have been since the beginning, you are entitled to a massive discount. Since the 80's my whole family and I have bought a total of 4 differenet Bowflex's and each time we bought one the price kept going lower and lower. I'm hoping that the selectech will only cost me a half of what they advertise.
× < >