Students

Science programs

[OP]
Nov 1, 2012
93 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton

Science programs

I want to hear your opinions, which school do you think have the best science programs?
45 replies
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough
Science is a pretty broad. What programs? Undergrad? Graduate? Research opportunities?
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
I am not sure if there is a best sciences program, from my understanding normally you will need grad school anyways to get any job close to science that is meaningful.. You also need to be more specific about what job/field you are talking because some jobs require phds, others require 2nd bachelor degree, and some may require post grad degrees. Probably the easiest undergrad because you will need grad school anyways so high grades and doing well on the standardized test to get into a good grad school.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13705 posts
1275 upvotes
jungeon has a point. The least academically stringent program is probably going to yield the best post-grad opportunities, whether they be grad school or professional school.

Unfortunately, to make that determination you'll have to rely purely on anecdotal evidence, as no school is going to admit that their program is easier than another university's.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Nov 18, 2012
162 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough
Syne wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 1:21 pm
jungeon has a point. The least academically stringent program is probably going to yield the best post-grad opportunities, whether they be grad school or professional school.

Unfortunately, to make that determination you'll have to rely purely on anecdotal evidence, as no school is going to admit that their program is easier than another university's.
Not true in all circumstances. If the aim is to do research/professor, then the least academically stringent program may not be the way to go. Finding tenured-track employment post-doc is going depend on a number of factors, of which grades is only a small part.

Grades + letters of reference from top researchers with weight behind their name + RAing and learning from top researchers + university recognition --> top graduate school with top researchers with weight behind their name and RAing and learning from top researchers + university recognition --> tenured-track employment.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6845 posts
297 upvotes
York
Question relating to this thread: Considering I do not and will not want to/do a master's degree, how would environmental science fare? It's not your typical physics, biology, chemistry degree, yet is still in the faculty of science. What if it has co-op?
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
UTScPhilosophy wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 1:40 pm
Not true in all circumstances. If the aim is to do research/professor, then the least academically stringent program may not be the way to go. Finding tenured-track employment post-doc is going depend on a number of factors, of which grades is only a small part.

Grades + letters of reference from top researchers with weight behind their name + RAing and learning from top researchers + university recognition --> top graduate school with top researchers with weight behind their name and RAing and learning from top researchers + university recognition --> tenured-track employment.
The problem with going to a stringent undergrad is your undergrad means nothing from a science point of view. Its all about where your 2nd bachelor, master, phd etc is from. A doctor, dentist, researcher etc from U of T and an undergrad from Trent is more impressive than an undergrad from U of T.

Based on how my cousin did before she transfered out of U of T to McMaster, because Mac was easier and its very hard to get the A grades needed to make grad school going to U of T. U of T should just be avoided, I've only heard bad things out of their undergraduate program for business and science. All they do is give their grads low grades that they can't get into a grad school with and you have a bunch of unemployed/underemployed U of T science grads who are 30 working in sales all it does is devalue the entire degree when you go to footlocker and the guy had a B- from U of T life and science. Sure the guy was a smart guy, he is not dumb, but when your school screws you over with a worthless expensive degree what other choice do you have. U of T is like the largest school in Canada, its grads for undergrad are a dime a dozen. I have no question a U of T life science grad would pull A- at low tiered schools like trent, carleton, guelph, brock etc.

The best schools are the ones who give their students high enough grades that they can get into grad school and get good jobs and some top schools like Harvard are moving toward eliminating grades to force employers to not discriminate against students based upon.

Before you get to the level of a professor, you have to do a masters first usually. Sure if you can finish with an A- in U of T after 4 years in science go for it, but do you seriously think a guy who could pull of a 4.0 at U of t would be posting her asking which school has the best science program? That is like a guy with a 99% average asking what is the best business program for undergraduate. It'd be rather obvious, no one smart enough to pull of a 4.0 in a top school is going to be asking which is the best one (they might what is better u of t or mcgill for science or schulich/queens/ivey for business)

1. You go to a hard school you are not even going to get the grades to get a research position. You won't get a research assistant position from a top researcher with a C+. You won't get into a top research school with a B- or B+, you need an A average in undergraduate. If you can get an A in U of T undergrad, just go to trent and get an A+ and then you will have a fully paved way and apply to harvard medicine or stanford dentistry and roll in dough.
2. Its utterly nuts to think you will be at any advantage to go to a "prestigeous" undergrad science program when they accept so many people you're only held in high regard IF you get A which is so rare unless you are scoring above 95% in highschool, forgetaboutit.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2450 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
don't go to u of t, that's for sure
Jan 25, 2013
252 posts
26 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
medalgo wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 10:12 pm
don't go to u of t, that's for sure
why not?
U of T is not bad... :<
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2008
2277 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Go to UofT, far more rewarding to complete their degree.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3361 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
koalorka wrote:
Jan 29th, 2013 4:38 pm
Go to UofT, far more rewarding to complete their degree.
This is very misleading. It might be rewarding for those who feel that UofT's program is much more challenging than elsewhere during the process of completing the degree. However, for those who don't care much about school reputation or those that want to go to grad school, going to UofT might end up ruining their lives for the 4-5 years that they spend at UofT. I didn't go to UofT but there are a lot of people who go to UofT on the forums that claim that they had a bad student experience there.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
^+1, how can it be rewarding to get bad grades for hard work? To me I'd rather get A, be lazy, drink have fun and be in extracurriculars go to gym etc.. Most people think the latter is a good experience
Jan 25, 2013
252 posts
26 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
jungeon wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 11:30 pm
^See my above post. Its a bad idea.
I do agree. I am getting a nasty average and im in UTSC. Sucks. :<

However, U of T downtown has indeed one of the most research focused science programs. It changes people's lives.
Nov 18, 2010
49 posts
5 upvotes
If you want to go into research, as in doing science vs. applying it - UofT wins hands down. Yes, your marks will suffer. But if you want to do science, (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge"), the fact that you need to study vs. "be lazy, drink[,] have fun" should be a positive feature. At UofT, the opportunities to do research - get hands - on knowledge of science are unparalleled.

You're paying a university lots of money, why not get the most out of it?

{disclaimer: currently a UofT undergrad}