• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 10:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1781 posts
67 upvotes
FR-S/BRZ is like a Miata with a fixed roof, rear insurance seats, and a boxer engine...just wait for all the issues to get resolved first
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car; oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall; torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
jelena-c wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:31 pm
by sissy you mean a way to avoid an accident, and not drive like you're in a race
Nope, not the meaning of sissy. My sissy I mean sisssssssssy.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Apr 24, 2011
195 posts
23 upvotes
Scarborough
My buddy has one and it's a fun, peppy little car to drive/be in. Much sportier feel than most stock cars, as it is lower to the floor with a moderately stiff suspension and what feels like a short-shifter. For a stock car, I think it's definitely a fun little car.

Also, I dunno much about RWD and traction control, but even after he turned traction control off, the computer would only let the rear wheels lose control for about a couple seconds before it automatically kicks back in. Silly little feature for those nice snowy nights...
Oct 5, 2008
127 posts
4 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:54 pm
Personally, I don't see the value proposition in this car. A gen Coupe 2.0T or even a V6 Mustang would be a better buy.
I see where you are coming from, especially when your options can be bought used.

But it is still a fun car, but there is no massive bang for buck / value.
CarCheckCanada | Free resources on buying used cars. View RFD Forum Post
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1254 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:54 pm
Personally, I don't see the value proposition in this car. A gen Coupe 2.0T or even a V6 Mustang would be a better buy.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/cou ... ewall.html
People buy the FR-S and BRZ either because they like how it looks or the hardcore enthusiasts who see it as a great handling platform to work on. I think those are reasons that are considered when deciding over the 2.0T and the Mustang. There are a billion comparisons of the FR-S vs the Genesis vs the Mustang.

The FR-S only lacks one thing when comparing it to the Genesis and Mustang.. Power.. If the FR-S was 300hp it would be a whole different game. Too bad it isn't.

Even at 200hp its still a ton of fun to drive and I love the way it handles at its limits.

It is actually not bad in practicality for a 2 door RWD. From everything I've read it does pretty good in the snow with its near equal weight distribution, and skinny snow tires. It's not as sensitive as an S2000 on the track with snap oversteer. The trunk space owns the Miata and S2000. And it is possible to fit people in the back though it would be uncomfortable for everyone. It also gets decent gas mileage..

The most important thing for ricers is the amount of aftermarket support. Never have I seen a car receive such a high level of rapid aftermarket support.

Those who have driven the Mustang, the Genesis, and the FR-S seem to agree the FR-S is the most engaging and fun to drive. I think the weight are big killers for the Mustang and Genesis in overall handling feel. They've got great power though.
kthxbye
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
1687 posts
855 upvotes
Vancouver
At least waitlist for FR-S is relatively short. I'm on the massively long waitlist for the BRZ :(
Aug 21, 2012
332 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
the FR-S is the same as the BRZ. theyre nearly identical. wasnt subaru goin under?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
16519 posts
2211 upvotes
Thornhill
thilly wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:19 pm
the FR-S is the same as the BRZ. theyre nearly identical. wasnt subaru goin under?
I think the BRZ has more creature comforts, and IMO front end(note many others see it the other way around).
Aug 21, 2012
332 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
oh yeah some of the features are gonna be different. i was talkin about performance-wise. all those other little things are to make the cars different. i think the FR-S and BRZ are using the same engine that Subaru made.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1254 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
The BRZ waitlist is very long but I think it's worth it if the BRZ is what you want.

The FR-S and BRZ have minor differences. BRZ just seems to be a slightly nicer FR-S on the inside.

On the outside the front bumper looks very different. (most prefer the FR-S) but the FR-S chrome headlights are not that great looking vs the BRZs blacked out LED lights.
kthxbye
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4210 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:04 pm
At least waitlist for FR-S is relatively short. I'm on the massively long waitlist for the BRZ :(
How long did your Subaru dealer tell you?

My local Scion dealer told me April or May earliest for the FR-S - and this was back in October.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
1687 posts
855 upvotes
Vancouver
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:21 pm

My local Scion dealer told me April or May earliest for the FR-S - and this was back in October.
Can't even give me an estimate. 2013 allotment sold out for BRZ and they don't have info when the 2014 will be released yet. Hopefully by summertime...he promised to call in a week to give me an update though (I just put my name on the waitlist last week).

Where are you located? There is a Vancouver dealership that has a few FR-S in stock right now.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4210 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:59 pm
Can't even give me an estimate. 2013 allotment sold out for BRZ and they don't have info when the 2014 will be released yet. Hopefully by summertime...he promised to call in a week to give me an update though (I just put my name on the waitlist last week).

Where are you located? There is a Vancouver dealership that has a few FR-S in stock right now.
Wow that bad eh?

I'm in Toronto. I've been looking around and have test driven both already but not really serious about purchasing yet.

I've read on ft86club that there's still a bunch of bugs that have to be ironed out so I'm waiting on official word that everything's a-ok.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1542 posts
124 upvotes
Newmarket
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:21 pm

i was told i could have one in about four weeks.....and that wait time for a manual is 3 months or so
i'll be going for auto because i'm short, and can't reach the clutch.....not too sure if i want to get the pedals to add, plus the wait time is a big thing for me too
× < >