• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2012 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes

SCOP Walmart

This might belong in shopping discussion.

The sale that walmart's having right now, has alot of items marked down to round numbers ($5, $1, etc). They don't have all these prices in their system.
We SCOPed some mason jars for jam, and a kids disney princess photo. Could have also got a sewing needle, but didn't bother.
The jars were scanning at $6.xx (6 something) marked down to $5. The disney pic was also scanning at $6.99 marked down to $5. Sewing neddles were only $1.33, should have been $0.99. Got the jars and pic free with very little trouble.

There were alot of other items in the store with these sale signs on them, that probably also don't scan right, since we had 3 items of the 6 things we were purchasing.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
in before RFDers says "scamming, isnt good!"

EDIT: that was quick
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes
I'd just like to say that I didn't scam anyone. SCOP is a legit policy.
Its more like walmart doing the scamming.
They've got all kinds of items on sale, that are scanning at full price.
It was me that was going to be ripped off by walmart, since they weren't charging me the shelf price.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
yao416 wrote: in before RFDers says "scamming, isnt good!"

EDIT: that was quick
The only one scamming would be Walmart for not ensuring that their products scan correctly. For every one person who calls them on SCOP, how many let it go and overpay for the item. Most people don't know about SCOP. There are still a lot here who don't know about it or understand how it works. I use SCOP frequently at WM and it is always a hassle with cashiers who don't have a clue what I am talking about even though they have the sticker posted at their register. I even recently went to customer service with a SCOP and the CSR was only going to give to me for the sale price and not free. It turned into a 30 minute battle with a manager having to be called.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
No matter what store I am at (that honors SCOP) I will not correct the cashier. They usually just adjust the price. I always wait until I'm done and then go to customer service.

It amazes me how many people are unaware of SCOP. I agree that there's prob more money made back from people that don't pay attention or couldn't be bothered. SCOP exists for both the consumer and the vendor.

I noticed a WM commercial last night saying they save Canadians an average of $14 million a month. I can only imagine how much Canadians are spending to have that level of savings.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Why not do it at the cashier? That is how it is supposed to be done. In the process, you can make the cashier aware of SCOP. If you are worried about holding up the line, the cashier can suspend the order and go on to the next customer. Or you can have the cashier ring through the rest of your order except the SCOP item. This is what I usually do especially if the SCOP item is under $10 and will be free. Most stores, especially WM, have huge line ups at customer service so why would you want to do that.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I wait to go to customer service because most cashiers will only adjust the price to the posted price. They may also have to wait for a manager to override. I find it easier to just go to customer service and have them adjust it. Even then you sometimes have to inform them of the SCOP.

It's also in consideration of other customers. I hate having to wait for someone else to finish their transaction. In my experience, most cashiers don't suspend the original transaction to assist the next person. They would rather wait to get price verification.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Mirx wrote: I'd just like to say that I didn't scam anyone...
Puh_leeeeeeeeeeaz. :D

One or two haphazardly selected and happened-upon items, I entirely agree it is honest and legit.

What your thread is CLEARLY doing is bringing to light an error and inviting people to abuse it.
  1. You mentioned SCOP.
  2. You mentioned WHICH types of items are predisposed to being incorrectly priced at the till.
Need I say more?

Scam on! Ooops., I mean SCOP on!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
bubble.tea wrote: Puh_leeeeeeeeeeaz. :D

One or two haphazardly selected and happened-upon items, I entirely agree it is honest and legit.

What your thread is CLEARLY doing is bringing to light an error and inviting people to abuse it.
  1. You mentioned SCOP.
  2. You mentioned WHICH types of items are predisposed to being incorrectly priced at the till.
Need I say more?

I really dislike your posts sometimes. This is one of those times.
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes

1. You mentioned SCOP.
Need I say more?

Yes, you do need to say more.
go oh please yourself, and take your Self-righteousness comments elsewhere.
Walmart goes though a lot to put items "on sale". The items are picked, discounts determined and distributed to stores, shelf stickers printed and placed on said items, flyers printed, etc. Oh wait, what did they "forget" to do, oh yeah, actually LOWER the price when I take money out of my wallet at the cash register, right.
Perhaps I should have just posted something more politically correct like "watch out for over scanning prices at walmart, they forget sometimes".
I find it rather questionable on walmart's part that 3 items, haphazardly selected and happened-upon that were on sale all scanned higher.
There's nothing illegal or scamming about telling people what said items are or that the sale they have on right now seems to be bogus. Furthermore these are pretty low demand items, certainly not worth going out of your way for. Scamming would be if you start doing questionable things like trying to return the free items for store credit.
I'm sick of being constantly ripped off by stores, and its nice to catch them in the act every one in a while.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Mirx wrote: ...I'm sick of being constantly ripped off by stores, and its nice to catch them in the act every one in a while.
LOLz...I'm totally with you., don't get me wrong. But you can't deny your post was hypocritical.
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote: LOLz...I'm totally with you., don't get me wrong. But you can't deny your post was hypocritical.
I'm not seeing it... point out the hypocritical lines to me?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Mirx wrote: I'd just like to say that I didn't scam anyone...
_______________-________________
May 4, 2004
495 posts
54 upvotes
I'd just like to say that I didn't scam anyone...

There's nothing hypocritical about that line.
It was in response to:
yao416: in before RFDers says "scamming, isnt good!"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
The whole scanner code thingy is about PRICE ACCURACY, and retailers voluntarily join and actually start this to elevate their industry-wide standard. Therefore, consumers SHOULD take advantage of ANY discrepancy which actually helps retailers to identify sub-par stores or incompetent department supervisors.

To be honest, if e.g. Wal-Mart has such a large scale discrepancy in scanner accuracy, they deserve to be penalized financially, which is exactly how this Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code works. It's NOT about getting back at them, or scamming/abusing or hypocritical. For example, if the scanner prices of those items reported by the OP are not corrected right away, then there is clearly something wrong with Wal-Mart.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
teknoluv wrote: The whole scanner code thingy is about PRICE ACCURACY, and retailers voluntarily join and actually start this to elevate their industry-wide standard. Therefore, consumers SHOULD take advantage of ANY discrepancy which actually helps retailers to identify sub-par stores or incompetent department supervisors.

To be honest, if e.g. Wal-Mart has such a large scale discrepancy in scanner accuracy, they deserve to be penalized financially, which is exactly how this Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code works. It's NOT about getting back at them, or scamming/abusing or hypocritical. For example, if the scanner prices of those items reported by the OP are not corrected right away, then there is clearly something wrong with Wal-Mart.
How could I disagree with this :) .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
teknoluv wrote: The whole scanner code thingy is about PRICE ACCURACY, and retailers voluntarily join and actually start this to elevate their industry-wide standard. Therefore, consumers SHOULD take advantage of ANY discrepancy which actually helps retailers to identify sub-par stores or incompetent department supervisors.

There was an item at a certain Walmart that I SCOP'd about 6 times over a 2-3 month period. At some point it became a game to me so see how many free items I would get before they changed the price.

YOUR post by the way? Quoted for truth. Couldnt have said it better myself.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
mocha'n'me wrote: I wait to go to customer service because most cashiers will only adjust the price to the posted price. They may also have to wait for a manager to override. I find it easier to just go to customer service and have them adjust it. Even then you sometimes have to inform them of the SCOP.
For SCOP to work properly, cashiers are supposed to have the authority to override the price without calling a manager. At WM they can price match and change the scanned price so why not do SCOP.
mocha'n'me wrote: It's also in consideration of other customers. I hate having to wait for someone else to finish their transaction. In my experience, most cashiers don't suspend the original transaction to assist the next person. They would rather wait to get price verification.
The cashier usually won't do it unless you tell them to. Not all registers allow you to suspend a sale, so I always ask if they can suspend the transaction or if they can just ring in everything else and I pay for it so they can move on to the next customer. This way once they get the price check, they just have the SCOP item to ring in and override and you are ready to go. I usually do this if I have a lot of items. I, too, don't want to inconvenience anyone including myself.
Apr 7, 2006
225 posts
91 upvotes

1. You mentioned SCOP.
Need I say more?

Wow, you still have the chip on your shoulder! Still haven't gotten over your little poll, remember that time you wanted everyone to join your crusade to get SDM to give away the extra 15x points? The poll that you claimed got taken over by 'trolls' just because too many people disagreed with your position.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=732126

Why are you in such a hurry to call someone else's posting to be a scam (which I do not think is because SCOP is valid) and you were asking for support to take advantage of SDM's error in awarding points 30x instead of 15x.
bubble.tea wrote: We need to figure out how we are collectively going to make a stand against SDM.
Please tell me, who is the hypocrite now?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
m1b wrote: >>flamebait<<
Please flamebait elsewhere (IE, on another forum).

Watch your personal attacks or I will report you for an infractional warning :) .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)