• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 2:09 am
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
233 posts
6 upvotes

the scotch thread

Used to be a beer drinker, but just doesn't pair well with winter. So I started exploring sipping drinks, tried this and that before finally falling in love with Johnnie Walker Black Label. At 38 a bottle its a higher end scotch that won't break the bank. What else does everyone like for scotch or whatever else you like to sip on? And if you think JW is bad merely from trying their low end Red Label, do yourself a favor and spend the extra 15 dollars for Black! Its like night and day as JW themselves say the Red is meant for mixing!
734 replies
Nov 20, 2003
525 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
single malt scotch is the way to go..

Brand?
depends on if you like it smooth, or peaty.
I've always been a fan of Glen Livet.
glen livet 12 yr @ ~$40
Glen livet 18 yr @ $90 nicer
Glen Livet 21 Yr @ ~$200 - smooth as can be

Lagavulin 16 yr for a strong peaty style @~$90
Glenfiddich is nice too.

Never been a fan of Johnny.
Even tried Johnny Blue, bland and no umph for a +$200 bottle.
i still prefer my single malt scotch.

Try it out one day
kookieMonster2k2 - GTA Baby!!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
Theres a whole whisky thread.....

anyway, with the JW, I think Johnnie Walker Green is the best bang for your buck. It is a vatted malt of Talisker, Cragganmore, Linkwood, and Caol Ila...all good single malts, all over 15 years. It is usually just a little more than the Black label. Unfortunately Diageo cut off Ontario to supply a market in the far east.

Johnny Walker Gold is ok but I dont think its worth $100 at LCBO but Ive seen some places in the world that sell it for a similar price for the green. Its not a spectacular one but for the taste profile its one of a kind.

The blue label you can get under $150 at duty free if you're lucky. If I would put a price for the taste of it I would pay no more that $120 ($100 2 years ago). Nevertheless its one of the better blended scotches I had.

Get into single malts and I could post forever. From what kookie monster listed, Lagavulin and the older Glenlivets >>> the best johnnie walker label.

For the OP, Im glad that you started exploring the sipping drinks.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
kha_ wrote:
Mar 4th, 2010 9:00 pm
Used to be a beer drinker, but just doesn't pair well with winter. So I started exploring sipping drinks, tried this and that before finally falling in love with Johnnie Walker Black Label. At 38 a bottle its a higher end scotch that won't break the bank. What else does everyone like for scotch or whatever else you like to sip on? And if you think JW is bad merely from trying their low end Red Label, do yourself a favor and spend the extra 15 dollars for Black! Its like night and day as JW themselves say the Red is meant for mixing!
JWB is not a higher end scotch...that's scotch and soda/coke at best....maybe once you get into green, gold, or blue.

As the previous poster said, single malt! Then you can pick one to suit your palate.

Right now my I keep a supply of Macallan Elegencia as a nice scotch to share when people come over...for me to drink alone (ok, not necessarily alone) I would move to something with more taste like a laphroaig.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
233 posts
6 upvotes
hey everyone, thanks for the replies!

id love to see a link to the whiskey thread! im all for a little research!

im happy to hear that if i like JW Black i will love other similarly priced scotches

the only single malt ive tried was glen fiddich 12 yr and i gotta say i like the JWB more, but i am more than willing to try another

actually going to RCSS liquor store tomorrow to get some stuff, any recommendation for a ~$40 bottle?

i was actually looking forward to getting a bottle of JW Blue when i had reason to celebrate something but now you guys have killed my excitement lol..
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
kha_ wrote:
Mar 5th, 2010 12:18 am

im happy to hear that if i like JW Black i will love other similarly priced scotches

the only single malt ive tried was glen fiddich 12 yr and i gotta say i like the JWB more, but i am more than willing to try another

actually going to RCSS liquor store tomorrow to get some stuff, any recommendation for a ~$40 bottle?

i was actually looking forward to getting a bottle of JW Blue when i had reason to celebrate something but now you guys have killed my excitement lol..
Therein lies the issue, as a rule blends are smoother (and milder) in flavour than a single malt. And while I do prefer my single malts, I do keep Crown and Crown Reserve for my mixed drinks.

If you are buying a big bottle, make sure it is something you like. At the same time, see if they have any of the small bottles and start exploring.

Alternately, if you are in the Toronto area, my colleagues mate owns a pub called Feathers in the east end. They have a huge scotch collection and regularly have a sold out scotch tasting events---sorry, did not read where you were from...apparently there are people in Canada who don't live in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
My absolute favorite and one I'll always go back to is Balvenie 10 year. I think it's $50-60 per bottle.

I recently tried some Oban (don't know which one, someone else bought it) and it was great, but closer to $100 a bottle.

I have one or two oz left in a JW Blue Label bottle I bought on a cruise. It was good, but I would rather buy 3-4 bottles of Balvenie than 1 JW Blue. Not a blend fan.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
kha_ wrote:

seems there is only [thread=848232]Scotch Recommendations![/thread] but the other ones are more Ontario oriented.

kha_ wrote:
Dont try to let us downers kill your moment. Of course JW Blue is notoriously overpriced in most places in the world. Here in Ontario it is over $250. If I wanted to spend $250 on a scotch (and in Ontario) I would buy Highland Park 25. JW blue is more reasonably priced at duty free shops and might be ok in Alberta. When it gets down to comparing JW Blue against some single malts that are over $100, Id choose Lagavulin 16, Highland Park 18, Yamazaki 18 which are in the $130 price range (at LCBO) over JW Blue.

The thing is getting a reasonably priced JW Blue is a rare opportunity and I would probably jump on it. Like I said before although it is overpriced, JW Blue is still a very good blend and one of the best I had.

If the RCSS has a site where you can see prices I can see whats good around the $40 price range.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1131 posts
86 upvotes
I'm a fan of The Glenlivet for sipping.

If I'm in the mood for mixing with cola or ginger ale, I'll go with 40 Creek and sometimes Crown Royal.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
233 posts
6 upvotes
wow ontario is steep, jw blue is $180 here.

Ill have to see if glen livet is available here
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
Balvenie Doublewood is praised highly everywhere. Since its $60 in Ontario you might be able to get it for less than $50.

If you like the smokiness of the JWB, you might be a fan of the Islays. Bowmore 12 is actually a good price in Ontario just over $40 and often goes on sale for $5 off....therefore its probably be under $40 in Alberta.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2214 posts
209 upvotes
Black Label and Chivas Regal are pretty much the only drink's I like.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
this is my shelf right now:

what I need to get sometime soon:

Yamazaki 18 (phoned today about stores not receiving and they havent received in the vintage warehouse so it might be a while)
Laphroaig QC (bought so many and $63 is starting to look like a good price and Im paranoid its going to increase so I need to stock up)
Redbreast 12 (my favourite Irish whiskey...rated high by both Micheal Jackson, Jim Murray, and Dave Broom)
Knob Creek (Makers Mark used to be my bo to bourbon but Im going to try this)
Havana Barrel Proof Rum (The El Dorado 15 that I have is a popular one but I dont think I like it as much as the Havana BP)
+1 Need one more Highland or Speyside SM...might go with one of the Macallans

My collection is usually around 65-70% single malts.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
233 posts
6 upvotes
That's a great looking cabinet! Ill be on the lookout for some of these on the weekend! How does everyone drink their scotch? I've been drinking it on the rocks, not so much to dilute it, but I just find it tastes better chilled. I'm sure disagreement will ensue!