• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 8:01 pm
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ErBoProxy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 11:40 am
Anybody has an opinion on Canadian Club 20yr ?

I don’t expect it to be on the same level as a vintage scotch sold at 4~5 times its price, but is it drinkable / a good gift ? I’m no scotch or whiskey connoisseur, but it’s been something I have developped over this past year and a half so I’m willing to try anything in order to expend the horizons.

From what I tasted from CC

Regular CC : 2nd worst whiskey I ever tried. No taste except for the cheap alcohol burn
CC 12yr : A bit too sugary / caramelly for my taste, but still drinkable.
CC 100 % Rye : Surprisingly good for its price — its made by a different distillery, so maybe CC Rye is the exception to the rule.

Is it worth something forking 60 bucks on ? Or is worth spending a little more and get a good 12yr scotch instead ?

Yeah I'd spend a few more bucks if I were you.

Limiting yourself to only canadian club isn't a wise decision if you want to experience more of what whisky has to offer.

Glenlivet, glenfiddich, aberlour 12, auchentoshan 12 .. are all in the area of $60-70 and are likely to be considerably better.

Also if you aren't sure you went to invest in a full bottle, some lcbo's have those small itty bitty bottles by the cash. Nothing too extravagant but a couple of different ones. Try those out before you invest a full 60 on a bottle (they usually go for like $8 or so, I think).

Once you explore a bit more and it suits your fancy, you'll figure out what style you like and from which region, then you can sample more from there.
Jun 6, 2016
71 posts
59 upvotes
My question was leaning more on the side on whether or not the "20 years old" label was a bait -- if the product is indeed worth a purchase or not.

The next mid-range bottle I want to buy is most likely a Highland Park 12yr. I’m always checking out however if there are any worthwhile "contenders" in the meantime (Aberlour 12 was also on my list)

Gotta empty those bottles first. Leaving too many open at the same time is not a good habit to have ;)
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ErBoProxy wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 12:45 pm
My question was leaning more on the side on whether or not the "20 years old" label was a bait -- if the product is indeed worth a purchase or not.

The next mid-range bottle I want to buy is most likely a Highland Park 12yr. I’m always checking out however if there are any worthwhile "contenders" in the meantime (Aberlour 12 was also on my list)

Gotta empty those bottles first. Leaving too many open at the same time is not a good habit to have ;)

Ah. My bad.

From my perspective, no, the Canadian club would not be worth the price. Tho to be fair, I'm not a fan of anything of their line that I have tasted so I can't imagine the 20 year changing that trend :p. But you appear to like them so you might enjoy the 20 year. Perspective my friend :)
Jun 6, 2016
71 posts
59 upvotes
I thought that maybe the 20yr could be a surprise like the 100% Rye....but their rye is made by a different distillery ( Alberta Distillers ), so who really knows ? Maybe the 20yr is on the same level as the other CC products.

Scotch / Whiskey is a nice hobby, but it could be also an expensive one -- it doesn't hurt to ask for opinions :)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 8:47 am
anyone else throw your order into the lottery?

http://www.vintages.com/vmail/bourbon_en.shtml

although not whiskey related entirely. i managed to get a single of the van winkle 12 last go round.

guess should find out pretty quickly.
My orders in, can't wait to get the email with all the zeros....lol. Didnt bid on VW12 as I have a bunch from when they sat on the shelves for weeks a few years back.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No Frills wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 5:50 pm
My orders in, can't wait to get the email with all the zeros....lol. Didnt bid on VW12 as I have a bunch from when they sat on the shelves for weeks a few years back.
So I gotta ask dude .. how many bottles do you actually have?

Cause almost every post you make is "I have a bunch of 'x' from that time ..." You make it sound like you have more bottles than an average LCBO. haha. Which is awesome btw :D

EDIT: I have 5 bottles and I wonder if thats "too much" sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
LucifersGhost wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 9:57 am
So I gotta ask dude .. how many bottles do you actually have?

Cause almost every post you make is "I have a bunch of 'x' from that time ..." You make it sound like you have more bottles than an average LCBO. haha. Which is awesome btw :D

EDIT: I have 5 bottles and I wonder if thats "too much" sometimes.
Somewhere around 100 closed bottles. The times I know of exceptional whisky for a good value or diminishing global supply I usually buy 3 at a time. One for immediate consumption and the others for later. There were some rare times I bought 6 (Alberta Premium 30 and the First Kilchoman release for $35).

In the VW case, I knew it was a time to start buying bourbon as a Renaissance was about to happen. Another example is when I knew a steep price increase was about to happen to Irish whisky and I bought a case of redbreast 12 when they cost $42.

Unfortunately I can't jump on everything, there are a lot of good whisky releases I lost out on because I didn't have the funds or couldn't get out to get it in time.

For open bottles, 5 is a good number of profiles to choose from. I think I have around that much open.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
all zeros for me in the bourbon offer. my wife got a single of the $35 Old Weller Antique Original 107 Straight. hope others had some luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1490 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I got a Old Weller Antique Original 107 Straight Bourbon. Not my first choice from the ones I wanted but still something.

On another note Aberlour 12 is $10 off at the LCBO right now. A respectable scotch, normally pretty good value, well worth it with $10 off.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
All zeros for me, i didn't post for any Weller, CEHT, or OVW10.

I think the Gooderham and Worts is also a good value of $10 off this week.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
Gooderham and Worts is very good stuff IMO.
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No Frills wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 11:10 am
Somewhere around 100 closed bottles. The times I know of exceptional whisky for a good value or diminishing global supply I usually buy 3 at a time. One for immediate consumption and the others for later. There were some rare times I bought 6 (Alberta Premium 30 and the First Kilchoman release for $35).

In the VW case, I knew it was a time to start buying bourbon as a Renaissance was about to happen. Another example is when I knew a steep price increase was about to happen to Irish whisky and I bought a case of redbreast 12 when they cost $42.

Unfortunately I can't jump on everything, there are a lot of good whisky releases I lost out on because I didn't have the funds or couldn't get out to get it in time.

For open bottles, 5 is a good number of profiles to choose from. I think I have around that much open.
Wow. that is impressive. Well done sir.

I know view you as EXACTLY the old spice dude from the commercials lol You are THAT awesome :)
Mar 24, 2012
65 posts
31 upvotes
Etobicoke
No Frills wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 11:10 am

Got any VW you can part with?