• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 2:09 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5895 posts
342 upvotes
Looking for a scotch recommendation for a good friend of mine that is retiring soon.

He was a great mentor and had a lot of faith in me when I first started out.

I'm looking for something in the ~$150 - ~$200 price range.

Suggestions?
Feb 8, 2017
244 posts
93 upvotes
glenfiddich 18, aultmore 18, balvenie 12 single barrel would all be really good which anyone would be glad to receive as a gift. i'm assuming the person you are buying for is not a peat or smoke freak......
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1490 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Octavius wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 11:03 pm
Looking for a scotch recommendation for a good friend of mine that is retiring soon.

He was a great mentor and had a lot of faith in me when I first started out.

I'm looking for something in the ~$150 - ~$200 price range.

Suggestions?
Honestly without knowing his tastes exactly its a bit of a shot in the dark. But I've also only had a small handful of bottles/tastes that are in the $150-200 range, I'm more around the $80-120 range myself.

I'd go with Aberlour 18 Yr personally. Nice, mellow, some good body, a bit of christmas cake with some fruit. The way I like my scotches that aren't Islay.

For a little more Dalmore Cigar Malt. I don't like it as much as the Aberlour myself but its a nicer bottle, nicer package and still good. Makes for a better gift because of its look.

Other options. Glen Breton 14-Year-Old Single Malt Whisky if he has any connection to the east coast. Canadian, but tastes like a scotch. Its nothing amazing. But its pretty good especially for a Canadian offering. In a blind taste test I think it would surprise a lot of people that its Canadian and its not a scotch. Its about $100.
Oct 18, 2006
242 posts
26 upvotes
North York
Nice scotch selection on sale at LCBO.
Mar 13, 2006
891 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
LCBO Big Deal for the week:

Auchentoshan 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
LCBO#: 107359
750 mL bottle
Sale Price: $58.15
June 15-June 21
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3280 posts
257 upvotes
Calgary
Depends on what he likes, and what's available where you live. Some scotches are pretty unique and may fit the history you two have. Any gift with a story attached is better.

I'm a big Edradour fan. Fits into your budget, it's the smallest distillery in scotland, and all of them are super tasty. Just pour, add a few drops of water and enjoy.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/whyte- ... Uxfde4pDqA
Boughr one today and drank neat
What do you think?

Many compare this with teachers highland cream
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/teache ... Ux9Je4pDqA
Going to try that one once this finishes

Someone added this to the list too
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/dewar- ... U0A6-4pDqB
Last edited by CocoJambo on Jun 22nd, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah but there they talk only 100 dollars stuff. This is rfd. Cheap scotch needs its own space. I don't know. Mods if you feel like, merge
I dont have 100 dollars all the time. Even the op of the scotch thread says 38 dollars a bottle for black label. Where do you get that? I am talking about 40 dollar whiskey for 1140 ml bottle in 2017 and it must not taste terrible either.

Anyways, i drank Whyte & Mackay Special Blend Scotch Whisky the third time today.I added only two small ice cubes. The scotch opened very nicely.
I just kept in mouth and swirled for some time, it did gave lots of different flavours, i tasted Christmas cake and vanilla and also a little sea salt today which i didn't on the first time. It goes smooth down. Does not burn.
The black label was good but that was smokey.
Once this bottle finishes, i will buy teachers and report back.
Trying to get hold of working man's good drink so hang with me guys.....
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I drink $100+ scotch and would NEVER turn up my nose to the low tier whisky. If all of us only drank the premium stuff, there wouldn't be any more to drink and the $100 a bottle whisky is suddenly $350 (Japanese whisky in 2017 for example).

Teachers is probably my favourite inexpensive scotch blend and make it my "table whisky" along with 40 Creek BS (Canadian). Second favourite scotch blend would be Dewars.

I do understand whisky snobbery, there are people that won't drink whisky unless it's rare, highly rated by a popular writer, or single cask, etc. Then I wonder if they really like drinking whisky or just like people knowing they are consuming an expensive commodity.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mike002 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 10:35 am
IMHO this is the best value in blended scotch, 8 yrs aged, only $32 and has undisclosed amount of Laphroaig single malt.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/islay- ... VO-D5LyvmE
Good. Thx Now we are talking...
32$ for a 750ml bottle ..sounds good .. I will try this. Is it smokey? I am still not sure whether I like smoky or not.. Will keep one with smoke one without and over several months pick a side or may be I will like both and drink each on alternate week
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
While I like the really expensive stuff since it just has so much complexity, I also like the cheaper stuff and we've been moving more to the cheaper end of whisky for a while now... I've tried the Islay Mist too and agree its a good bottle although I much prefer the Speyside ones.

We've really been enjoying the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve ($51) - http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/the-gl ... VPRdNPyvVo

and we keep buying Collingwood - pretty simple, good, and at just over $30, totally affordable - http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/collin ... VPRmtPyvVo
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mike002 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 10:35 am
IMHO this is the best value in blended scotch, 8 yrs aged, only $32 and has undisclosed amount of Laphroaig single malt.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/islay- ... VO-D5LyvmE
CocoJambo wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 11:43 am
Good. Thx Now we are talking...
32$ for a 750ml bottle ..sounds good .. I will try this. Is it smokey? I am still not sure whether I like smoky or not.. Will keep one with smoke one without and over several months pick a side or may be I will like both and drink each on alternate week
Drinking it now .32 dollars well spent. Its Smoky but not too much and its nice taste. Need to.keep.in mouth for a while though to taste the Sweetness
Jan 17, 2017
67 posts
36 upvotes
CocoJambo wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 9:00 pm
Drinking it now .32 dollars well spent. Its Smoky but not too much and its nice taste. Need to.keep.in mouth for a while though to taste the Sweetness
Islay mist is my go to cheap scotch too. I prefer the peeted scotches, so I find it abit lacking there, but it is a good mix of sweet and smoky at a great price!

Sometimes I toss a little bit of Ardbeg, Ledaig, or Lagavulin in there to up the smoke.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)