• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 2:09 am
Nov 6, 2015
184 posts
272 upvotes
Oakville
Hello All,

New to this thread, can't believe I never came across it before with all the time I spend on RFD Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm almost exclusively a whisky drinker, except for the occasional cocktail.

Looking forward to trying some new single malts soon based on all the great info here :)

I picked up a couple of bottles of the Arran Malt - Sauternes Cask Finish last month in Chicago. Binny's was clearing them out @ US$60

It is my new favourite whisky, super smooth and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend it to anyone who prefers a lighter, less peaty flavour.
Images
  • file (2).jpeg
Feb 8, 2017
244 posts
93 upvotes
arvind84 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:03 pm
Hello All,

New to this thread, can't believe I never came across it before with all the time I spend on RFD Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm almost exclusively a whisky drinker, except for the occasional cocktail.

Looking forward to trying some new single malts soon based on all the great info here :)

I picked up a couple of bottles of the Arran Malt - Sauternes Cask Finish last month in Chicago. Binny's was clearing them out @ US$60

It is my new favourite whisky, super smooth and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend it to anyone who prefers a lighter, less peaty flavour.
nice. never had a bad bottle of arran scotch. enjoy!
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
Looking for a recommendation on a scotch to buy in England (which is not available here or US) to bring back in December.

My tastes tend to be toward the Islay smokey peaty side (think Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig Quarter cask) but if there is a "must have" from across the pond then that would be my preference.

Max Budget $120 Cdn (L70)

Thanks
Jan 17, 2017
67 posts
36 upvotes
IMHIP2 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 12:23 pm
Looking for a recommendation on a scotch to buy in England (which is not available here or US) to bring back in December.

My tastes tend to be toward the Islay smokey peaty side (think Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig Quarter cask) but if there is a "must have" from across the pond then that would be my preference.

Max Budget $120 Cdn (L70)

Thanks
Have you tried Ardbeg? While you can get the 10 and Uigeadail at the LCBO, they are fairly expensive ($100 and $175). Amazon UK has both of them for about 50-60% off CDN price, so I assume you can get around same price or even less at the duty free. I am kicking myself for not picking up a second bottle of Ardbeg 10 when coming back from the US... much cheaper.

Other than that, I'd be looking at distillers editions of your favorite brand, but might be limited selection at duty free Not sure if you buying in duty free or trying to bring back in your suitcase...
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
Soty613 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 12:49 pm
Have you tried Ardbeg? While you can get the 10 and Uigeadail at the LCBO, they are fairly expensive ($100 and $175). Amazon UK has both of them for about 50-60% off CDN price, so I assume you can get around same price or even less at the duty free. I am kicking myself for not picking up a second bottle of Ardbeg 10 when coming back from the US... much cheaper.

Other than that, I'd be looking at distillers editions of your favorite brand, but might be limited selection at duty free Not sure if you buying in duty free or trying to bring back in your suitcase...
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have both Ardbeg 10 and Uigedail at home and yes enjoy those alot. Good recommendation on distillers editions. I'm open to buying in the store because i don't want to be kicking myself at the duty free to only find out they only carry what we get here.
Also naive question, would Scotch be duty free in England?
Jan 17, 2017
67 posts
36 upvotes
IMHIP2 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 1:33 pm
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have both Ardbeg 10 and Uigedail at home and yes enjoy those alot. Good recommendation on distillers editions. I'm open to buying in the store because i don't want to be kicking myself at the duty free to only find out they only carry what we get here.
Also naive question, would Scotch be duty free in England?
Haven't made it to UK yet, planning Scotland next summer, so only did some basic research so far. From what I read, most people just say get at duty free to avoid having to bring back in luggage. My plan is to maybe pick up a distillers edition on a tour and then something in the duty free.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I'd get the Talisker Distillers edition, have only seen it twice at LCBO in the past 10 years. Perhaps you can hunt down a Talisker 18 there...I haven't had that since '05, I knew I should have bought stock up but I didn't have money at that time.

What I'd try to do is order something from thewhiskyexchange.com and get it delivered to your hotel.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
any recommendations for a bottle i can buy from LCBO? I don't like the peaty ones last one i tried was wisers didn't like it very much. my budget is around 40-50$
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
reayen wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 2:58 pm
any recommendations for a bottle i can buy from LCBO? I don't like the peaty ones last one i tried was wisers didn't like it very much. my budget is around 40-50$
I like the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, usually around $50. Not peaty either.
Aug 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
wirebound wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 3:03 pm
I like the Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, usually around $50. Not peaty either.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try it out.
Feb 8, 2017
244 posts
93 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:29 pm
What I'd try to do is order something from thewhiskyexchange.com and get it delivered to your hotel.
or if in London visit the store. It's an amazing place. Granted they don't stock everything you see online but if you can't find something in that store there is no hope for you! :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7448 posts
765 upvotes
Victoria
reayen wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 2:58 pm
I tend to stick the speyside (and highlands) ones. The ones from Islay tend to be smokier/peatier.

My go to for a cheaper single malt lately has been Abelour 12 Double Cask. It's about $60/bottle here in BC (probably cheaper in Ontario). If you're looking for a blend try Dewars 12. It's not peaty or smokey. It's my favourite blend to keep me from bankrupting myself.

Speaking of Abelour 12. Has anyone in Canada seen the other version (Abelour 12 Non-Chill Filtered). I've heard nothing but good things about it, but they only sell the double cask here in BC. I love the scotch's that were in Sherry casks... mmmmm.
Last edited by zod on Oct 19th, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4910 posts
4847 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 3:18 pm
I love the scotch's that were in Sherry's casks... mmmmm.
My favorite and now finished bottle of Scotch was a Glenmorangie 25 finished in Malaga (fortified wine similar to Sherry) casks -- quite similar to Sherry cask finish but somehow richer and more "buttery" flavor I really enjoyed.

It's still available but at a price reflecting its rarity/collector status now (about 2.5X what I paid for mine.)

Has anyone else seen other Malaga finishes that are recommended? I tried the Arran once and it wasn't nearly as nice probably because the overall dram was quite a bit less refined.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.