• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 7:53 pm
Jun 6, 2016
76 posts
60 upvotes
Any opinions on either of those ?

Jameson Crest : Any different than your run-of-the-mill Jameson or does it stands on its own ?

Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or : The only Glenmorangie I have tasted was the 12-year Lasanta, which was really good. I have been recommended the Nectar d’Or over it. About $ 25-to-$ 30 more expensive but apparently well worth the price — any truth to it ?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
For the Glenmorangie, I think the Lasanta isn't a good whisky at all and prefer the original over it, but it may have been a batch experience of bad sulphur notes. I had all 3 expressions. They were lined priced closely and the Nectar D'or was maybe $10 more than the other 2. Nice sweet notes with the NE, but the Quinta Ruban is my favourite...even with the older bottlings when they didn't include exotic names. With current scotch inflation, I suppose the Nectar Dor is a good whisky if it's 30% more than $90, so that brings the price to $120. Nonetheless explore the Gleorangie line, they are all pretty good besides LS (IMO)
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Mar 5, 2012
194 posts
31 upvotes
Midland
arvind84 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:03 pm
Hello All,

New to this thread, can't believe I never came across it before with all the time I spend on RFD Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm almost exclusively a whisky drinker, except for the occasional cocktail.

Looking forward to trying some new single malts soon based on all the great info here :)

I picked up a couple of bottles of the Arran Malt - Sauternes Cask Finish last month in Chicago. Binny's was clearing them out @ US$60

It is my new favourite whisky, super smooth and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend it to anyone who prefers a lighter, less peaty flavour.
Had this not too long ago, it was a good experience because I was not used to the wine-finish. LCBO has the 'Amarone finish' available now, I'll probably pick that up to try.
Mar 5, 2012
194 posts
31 upvotes
Midland
Anyone have any Sub-$80 Scotch Recommendations?

My picks right now would be
- JW Green - $79.90
- Benromach 10 - $59.15 (unavailable currently though)
Jan 17, 2017
67 posts
36 upvotes
Rfd10202 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 8:13 am
Anyone have any Sub-$80 Scotch Recommendations?
I really like ledaig... If they ever stock it again.... Good ole lcbo... Probably my favorite sub 80.

Glenfarc is always good too.
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
ErBoProxy wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 5:19 pm
Any opinions on either of those ?

Jameson Crest : Any different than your run-of-the-mill Jameson or does it stands on its own ?

Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or : The only Glenmorangie I have tasted was the 12-year Lasanta, which was really good. I have been recommended the Nectar d’Or over it. About $ 25-to-$ 30 more expensive but apparently well worth the price — any truth to it ?
I tried the Lasanta with my BIL in Calgary and enjoyed it so picked up a bottle. I like it more than the Nectar d'Or from what I recall and the Quinta Ruban I can't absolutely recall but I believe I place this 2nd. Time to line them all up and taste test (I'm pretty sure I have them all)
Jan 14, 2007
382 posts
48 upvotes
GTA North
No Frills wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:29 pm
I'd get the Talisker Distillers edition, have only seen it twice at LCBO in the past 10 years. Perhaps you can hunt down a Talisker 18 there...I haven't had that since '05, I knew I should have bought stock up but I didn't have money at that time.

What I'd try to do is order something from thewhiskyexchange.com and get it delivered to your hotel.
This is what I will do. Checked out the Talisker 18 which is at the top limit (maybe over at L73.85) and it does look appealing. I'm also looking at the ILEAHC Cask Strength which is under at L44.45 with reviews (speculation) being all over the place due to its unknown origin and age
Apr 20, 2015
193 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON
anyone been or going to the Spirit of Toronto
Mar 5, 2012
194 posts
31 upvotes
Midland
MrPsv1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:21 pm
anyone been or going to the Spirit of Toronto
I went many years ago, was very decent. I don't feel to go again any time soon though.
Apr 20, 2015
193 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Rfd10202 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:41 pm
I went many years ago, was very decent. I don't feel to go again any time soon though.
I'll be going next year with a few friends, feel like it maybe one of those "once in a lifetime" events
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I used to go to SoT all the time, but in the past few years I've been priced out. The ticket price almost doubled. Congrats to the organizers though, the booths wrap all the way around Roy Thompson now...I remember when it was half to 2/3s around the lobby.

I think there's enough whisky events around small and big that I don't feel the need to attend this one.
Apr 20, 2015
193 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON
No Frills wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:29 am
I used to go to SoT all the time, but in the past few years I've been priced out. The ticket price almost doubled. Congrats to the organizers though, the booths wrap all the way around Roy Thompson now...I remember when it was half to 2/3s around the lobby.

I think there's enough whisky events around small and big that I don't feel the need to attend this one.
any recommendations for other events?
May 2, 2011
734 posts
95 upvotes
Oakville, ON
We should start a list of good buys from Duty Free. Picked up a bottle of Highland Park Harald (Warrior Series) in Newark, but not the greatest deal ($99 US). Bought it because I've never seen it in the LCBO before, I'll try it this weekend.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
MrPsv1 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:52 am
any recommendations for other events?
For large walk-around events it seems Whisky Live didn't come to Toronto this year, used to be October. For smaller structured tastings, they happen all the time. Emmet Ray on College has them throughout the year for example.