Personal Finance

Scotia Momentum Visa - 2 %, Gas, Groceries, Pre-Auth; 1 % Other. Not Tiered !, $39/yr

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2014 6:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
35 upvotes

Scotia Momentum Visa - 2 %, Gas, Groceries, Pre-Auth; 1 % Other. Not Tiered !, $39/yr

New Visa from Scotiabank, 2 % rebate for gas, groceries, drugstore and preauthorized payments, 1 % rebate for all other purchases (not cash advance obviously)

Annual fee of $39 dollars, maybe you can get this waived.

Promotional offer for the 1st 3 Months, of 2 % rebate on EVERYTHING.

There is a link to a rebate calculator on the site.

http://scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,160 ... Den,00.htm

Discuss.l
124 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6821 posts
332 upvotes
Ottawa
At first glance this looks like a really good card, well better than quite a bit of the cash back cards in the market right now. I haven
[OP]
Sep 10, 2004
687 posts
35 upvotes
The Ivory Actuary wrote: Doesn't seem to be a rebate cap (cap of $25,000 spending for 2% bonus, but still 1% after that) so this card beats Citi Enrich and NBC Ultramar for high-spenders. It also beats CIBC's Dividend Platinum (except, potentially for insurances..see below)

Any information on what insurances are included, or are you paying that fee solely for the high cashback?

I'm seriously considering this card, but I think I'd need to start a relationship with Scotiabank before they considered waving anything for me - and that would be a pre-condition of my getting this card.
The website mentions,

"With Purchase Security and Extended Warranty protection3"

Footnote 3 says:

"For all insurance coverage, certain limitations, restrictions and exclusions apply. You will receive a Certificate of Insurance which contains a full description of coverage."
Mar 23, 2004
39406 posts
5438 upvotes
Markham
not bad, note that u only earn 2% on the first 25k and then it will be 1% for those elgible merchants. I wish they list which of this merchants are...

This card looks good though, so I might apply for it...but dang $39 annual fee.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6821 posts
332 upvotes
Ottawa
angel_wing0 wrote: not bad, note that u only earn 2% on the first 25k and then it will be 1% for those elgible merchants. I wish they list which of this merchants are...

This card looks good though, so I might apply for it...but dang $39 annual fee.
If you
Jul 21, 2006
363 posts
3 upvotes
This card is really attractive. Considering getting one myself.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
It is funny that NoFrills is in their merchant list and NoFrills does not take Visa. :D
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19080 posts
1561 upvotes
I wonder how they determine what is a "pre authorized payment" with a credit card?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
39406 posts
5438 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote: I wonder how they determine what is a "pre authorized payment" with a credit card?
well:

Recurring payments are defined as payments made on a monthly or regular basis automatically billed by a merchant.

I guess as long as it's automatic :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9460 posts
548 upvotes
Markham
gman wrote: It is funny that NoFrills is in their merchant list and NoFrills does not take Visa. :D
Maybe it's foreshadowing the future....

But this card sounds pretty good if you have a family to feed and the fee isn't that high.
:lol:
Mar 23, 2004
39406 posts
5438 upvotes
Markham
Hairball wrote: Maybe it's foreshadowing the future....
i doubt that...loblaws/RCSS are in there as well but they only take mc as well afaik.

And it will be funny if they dont have the same merchant # than listed on the pdf when u pay...gotta tell them: "make sure u bring the terminal with that merchant # else i wont pay!" :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)