Personal Finance

Scotia Momentum Visa - 2 %, Gas, Groceries, Pre-Auth; 1 % Other. Not Tiered !, $39/yr

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2014 6:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
angel_wing0 wrote: gj, how long have u bank with scotia?
about 9 years total, but only 3 with this branch
Mar 11, 2009
189 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
wally_walrus wrote: about 9 years total, but only 3 with this branch
I think most banks care about new customers, more than existing customers.
(not that I agree with it). So I think people should ask before they apply for it.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
wally_walrus wrote: about 9 years total, but only 3 with this branch
No wonder then..GJ.
LWNTHK wrote: I think most banks care about new customers, more than existing customers.
(not that I agree with it). So I think people should ask before they apply for it.
They care about the accounts with lots of money (new or old), then its to the existing one, then new ones, then existing ones with very little money :D
Mar 11, 2009
189 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE=angel_wing0;8420255
They care about the accounts with lots of money (new or old), then its to the existing one, then new ones, then existing ones with very little money :D [/quote]
I have Mortgage for the last 25 years and I have never renew my mortgage with the same bank because they always offer best mortgage rate to new customers, not the existing one. TD > BMO > TD > BMO and now BNS. I am talking about mortgage only. I hope your bank is not the same.
I am currently using RBC Avion Plantum which they offer me no fee about 10 months ago. Do we really believe they will offer existing VISA Avion Plantum holder the same treatment? They want new business.
Nov 27, 2003
78 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
angel_wing0 wrote: Like i said, "IMO". I am not asking ppl to agree/disagree ;)
I agree with Jesus here. Its' a matter of principle: a fee imposed on a method that is needed for a person to build credit is unjust.

We're only paying the fees to subsidize part of the "rewards" the cc companies dangle out there as lures.
Apr 23, 2008
451 posts
Edmonton, Alberta
angel_wing0 wrote: Like i said, "IMO". I am not asking ppl to agree/disagree ;)
Surely, though, you must want your opinion to be an informed one. Why not pay an annual fee if the card benefits justify it?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
joe1487 wrote: Surely, though, you must want your opinion to be an informed one. Why not pay an annual fee if the card benefits justify it?
That's the thing "IF", and in my case it does not...well or at least not yet.

So when is the no fee version coming?!
Dec 4, 2007
694 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, I'd love to get my greedy hands on the free version! :D
Deal Expert
May 25, 2007
28345 posts
266 upvotes
I may be on crack, but do they offer an online service where I can check the Visa account information? I see it saying all over about Scotiabank customers can view it on their online profile, but I do not bank with Scotia and I can't seem to find out if it's possible. I tried to activate my only profile with my credit card number, but it just rejects it.
Dec 8, 2005
786 posts
28 upvotes
thewerd wrote: I may be on crack, but do they offer an online service where I can check the Visa account information? I see it saying all over about Scotiabank customers can view it on their online profile, but I do not bank with Scotia and I can't seem to find out if it's possible. I tried to activate my only profile with my credit card number, but it just rejects it.
The only way to do this is to go to a branch, and get your credit card linked to a debit card even if you dont have a checking/saving account, I know its dumb, but that's how they roll ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
angel_wing0 wrote: a month later, still waiting for no fee version --*

a month later and already collected about $8 in cashback
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
Was offered the first year with waived fees. Just had to ask at the branch. I've been with Scotia for a little under a year.

Planning a big road trip next month, so the "3-month @ 2% on everything" promo rate will be well used.
Jun 4, 2009
16 posts
1 upvote
juat wonder what's recurring bill payments on that visa?
does it include water,eletric,gas,phone bill payments? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
nextstep wrote: juat wonder what's recurring bill payments on that visa?
does it include water,eletric,gas,phone bill payments? :confused:
AFAIK it should (after talking to Scotia about it, but that was a while ago)
He died for me, I live for him
Jun 29, 2008
834 posts
26 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Why are people over this card? Just because it's a VISA and not a MASTERCARD?
Because of its cashback advantage!!
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2963 upvotes
hola2005 wrote: Because of its cashback advantage!!
What advantage?

The annual fee and severe limitations compared to cash back Mastercards are a severe DISADVANTAGE IMO.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
brunes wrote: What advantage?

The annual fee and severe limitations compared to cash back Mastercards are a severe DISADVANTAGE IMO.
But if you have enough investments / $$ with Scotia, they are more than happy to waive the annual fee. But it is a PITA and you have to ask them to waive it every year :o
If you have the willingness/patience to do so, it could be a great card to have for recurring bill payments and pharmacy purchases

I was considering the card, but, when MBNA announced the Smartcash card, there was no point. Maybe in the future though when I have more bills to pay, but for now, MBNA suits my needs :cheesygri
He died for me, I live for him
Jun 29, 2008
834 posts
26 upvotes
brunes wrote: What advantage?

Would you please share your Master Cashback features?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)