Hot Deals

Scotiabank American Express - 35,000 ($350) Welcome Bonus + FYF + 5K Referral Bonus

Dec 23, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
F1ash wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:17 pm
I've had this card for 4 years, and it's by far the best credit card in terms of return. Basically after the FYF, it's $99 per year + $29 for an additional user. Therefore, you just need to spend $3,200 per year to break even on this card on gas (every gas station takes AMEX), restaurants and coffee shops (as long as you aren't going to a small hole in the wall restaurant they will likely accept AMEX), movies/concerts/sporting event purchases, and grocery stores (obviously will not work with Superstore or Costco). I easily surpass this amount, and the insurance, and AMEX first in line Ticketmaster purchases, make this card a no-brainer. I use this along with my TD First Class (for all other purchases), and PC Financial Mastercard (for all purchases at Superstore) to maximize return.

For anyone that says this card is not great, it's because they aren't utilizing it correctly (no point putting any non 4X rewards purchases on this), or they don't spend >$3,200 per year on the card.
+1

I've also had this card since 2013, and it is the best for the exact same reasons. I recently got the Amex Cobalt, and testing it out vs the Scotia Amex. The major difference would be Cobalt is 5x but only on food whereas Scotia Amex is 4x on the same criteria, but also entertainment (trying to see if Cobalt 5x is coded for entertainment as well)

I also got the referral email for the 35k + first year free. No card on the market can touch this promo, not even the Cobalt.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15665 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
Flitox wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:53 pm
I already have an open Scotiabank AMEX Gold account since late april.

What's the best play in your opinions for getting the welcome bonus again through this referral offer?

Convert my existing account to a Scotiabank Visa or Mastercard (and optionally reduce its balance) then apply fo a new Scotia AMEX Gold account.
Close my current Scotia AMEX Gold account and reapply in December.
Keep my account open and apply for a second Scotia AMEX Gold account.

Which play is the best in terms of chance of approval ?
I actually applied for a second one and got approved back in June (already previously had a Scotia Amex from a few years back), so thats definitely allowed
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2761 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
For some reason, it keeps rejecting my application. Any ideas?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2212 posts
1119 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:14 pm
well the new Amex cobalt is pretty enticing... especially if you want monthly payments, and 5% categories really suit your needs.
Cobalt lacks more in the insurance though.
Don’t let the 5x reward fool you.
I will eventually get Cobalt as well, but only for the bonuses in the first year, then cancel.
Scotia Gold Amex is $21 less annual fee, and provides better insurances.
Also the 4x categories suit me better.
Jun 15, 2017
86 posts
17 upvotes
I had this card and cancelled earlier this year.
Does anyone know if it's churnable? ie can you get a repeat sign up bonus?If yes,any waiting period before reapplying?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1153 posts
254 upvotes
Edmonton
so we have to get this through friend's referral? no other referral site has this (+ cash back/GC)?
Jun 15, 2017
86 posts
17 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:01 am
I remember when I last applied online for this card,I had so many rejected attempts as well(not declines).
I can't recall what I did to finally get it working. Try using "incognito mode" or a different browser.........
Jun 20, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
Is this targeted or do all cardholders receive it?
Aug 27, 2014
65 posts
13 upvotes
F1ash wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:17 pm
I've had this card for 4 years, and it's by far the best credit card in terms of return. Basically after the FYF, it's $99 per year + $29 for an additional user. Therefore, you just need to spend $3,200 per year to break even on this card on gas (every gas station takes AMEX), restaurants and coffee shops (as long as you aren't going to a small hole in the wall restaurant they will likely accept AMEX), movies/concerts/sporting event purchases, and grocery stores (obviously will not work with Superstore or Costco). I easily surpass this amount, and the insurance, and AMEX first in line Ticketmaster purchases, make this card a no-brainer. I use this along with my TD First Class (for all other purchases), and PC Financial Mastercard (for all purchases at Superstore) to maximize return.

For anyone that says this card is not great, it's because they aren't utilizing it correctly (no point putting any non 4X rewards purchases on this), or they don't spend >$3,200 per year on the card.
It's not true that you have to spend $3,200 to break even, since you could easily get a Tangerine card for free and get 2% back on groceries, restaurants and gas, plus it is posted in cash to a saving account every month (you could immediately transfer it outside of Tangerine). However you do get 1% on the rest, while Tangerine only gives out 0.5% (but you could easily get other cards that give 1%). That almost doubles the break even point to $6,400, which may not be a problem if you are a big spender, but we are not and Amex is not as often taken by the grocery stores in Quebec, and we commute by bus so gas usage is fairly low, and expenses that fit in the limited "entertainment" category are extremely limited.

The card has good benefits like travel insurance, but I can easily churn a card with such insurance every year for free.
Aug 20, 2015
212 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Sepharite wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:01 am
Are you on a VPN? Could you possibly be requesting too much credit limit?

In the end for me I had to go into a branch before I got approved.
Jan 18, 2005
372 posts
12 upvotes
where's the referral screen/menu? or is it only accessible through the targeted offer?
Jul 19, 2006
297 posts
37 upvotes
It's a targeted offer. If you have a Scotia Amex it will be on your account details if available to you (that's how I caught wind of this), and you get a link that you can send to people (they have to sign up through the link to get the 35,000 pts). Definitely a hot deal if you know how to maximize points, and if you dine out at restaurants at least once a week (it could even be McDonald's).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15665 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
As some people mentioned. You neeed to contact someone who has this card to have them give you a referral link in order to apply for the card.
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!