Hot Deals

Scotiabank American Express - 35,000 ($350) Welcome Bonus + FYF + 5K Referral Bonus

Oct 2, 2015
320 posts
76 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Got rejected when I signed up. Called 3 times to them and each agent gave a different story.

Last one was the most helpful who said she'll escalate the matter.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1031 posts
620 upvotes
gtirsmiley wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:29 pm
Got rejected when I signed up. Called 3 times to them and each agent gave a different story.

Last one was the most helpful who said she'll escalate the matter.
I got rejected too.... I don't want to go into a branch because I want the $50 GCR. Anybody figure out a way to get this card?!?!?
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15665 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
zumi78878 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:48 pm
I got rejected too.... I don't want to go into a branch because I want the $50 GCR. Anybody figure out a way to get this card?!?!?
Don't think you can combine this with GCR.
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!
Oct 27, 2017
4 posts
I got this offer too, and in the original email it said maximum referral points I can earn is 25,000 (so 5 people), but then after I referred one person, in the confirmation email it said I can refer up to 10 friends/family. Does this just mean that after 5 referrals I will no longer get points, but the people I refer can still get the signup bonus?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
1948 posts
483 upvotes
Mississauga
thelegtotheleft wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 2:15 am
I got this offer too, and in the original email it said maximum referral points I can earn is 25,000 (so 5 people), but then after I referred one person, in the confirmation email it said I can refer up to 10 friends/family. Does this just mean that after 5 referrals I will no longer get points, but the people I refer can still get the signup bonus?
Ya Scotiabank did the same last year. I actually referred like 11 people and got the credit, even though it stated max of 5.

All my referrals got their points I think
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15665 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
vinnie1990 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:15 pm
People can post if they want a referral here and maybe the people who have them can share ;)

I sent two out to help rfders
You can't post offering or requesting referrals in a thread per RFD...will end up getting this thread deleted
Mar 2, 2011
27 posts
5 upvotes
For those who got the offer, how long have you had the card?

I logged in and don't see the offer.
May 17, 2012
862 posts
332 upvotes
grand valley
This card is great in theory. In practise, the Scotia momentum infinite visa is better for us due to acceptance.

I cancelled mine just before fyf expired
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15665 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
lil_dreams wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:46 pm

I had this card for 3-4 years now
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2213 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
lil_dreams wrote:

From what I remember at least over 1 year.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2213 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
esoxhntr wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:53 pm
This card is great in theory. In practise, the Scotia momentum infinite visa is better for us due to acceptance.

I cancelled mine just before fyf expired
I've had the FYF waived before without asking lol

Probably because I used it quite a lot.

Great card, we got the referral and people on the fence shouldn't hesitate at all, especially if it's FYF with a nice welcome bonus.
Sep 1, 2007
660 posts
392 upvotes
Surrey
lil_dreams wrote:

I've had mine for a few months. But it's my second card and I held 2 at the same time. But the first card I cancelled about a month ago before fist year was up
Koodo $49/6gb wireless plan // AMEX Biz Plat 75K AMEX Biz Gold 40K // SCOTIA GOLD AMEX 35K
Oct 27, 2017
0 posts
I recently got the Scotiabank Gold Amex travel card with the 35K welcome points (first year fee waived, must spend $750 within first three months - which is easy if you use it to buy gift cards for future use to purchase goods you're going to spend on anyway, such as groceries and gas).

My understanding is that you can go ahead and book any flight you want (no need to bother with their online booking site), then call or email the rewards department and tell them how many points you want to apply. They will then apply a credit to your account equal to the dollar amount of the points. So if I were to book a 500.00 flight and want to use 35K points, the flight would end up costing me $150.00.

If I've got that right has anyone tried it and run into any problems?
Mar 2, 2011
27 posts
5 upvotes
ffonly wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 1:17 pm
I've had mine for a few months. But it's my second card and I held 2 at the same time. But the first card I cancelled about a month ago before fist year was up
Wow only a few months. I had the card for 2 years, cancelled last year and just got it again several months ago. Boo.