Hot Deals

Scotiabank American Express - 35,000 ($350) Welcome Bonus + FYF + 5K Referral Bonus

Oct 27, 2017
4 posts
vinnie1990 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 9:39 am
Ya Scotiabank did the same last year. I actually referred like 11 people and got the credit, even though it stated max of 5.

All my referrals got their points I think
Good to know!
Oct 27, 2017
4 posts
lil_dreams wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:46 pm
For those who got the offer, how long have you had the card?

I logged in and don't see the offer.
About 18 months. You could try contacting Scotiabank and ask for the email? Never hurts
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
1948 posts
483 upvotes
Mississauga
TashiD wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 2:42 pm
I recently got the Scotiabank Gold Amex travel card with the 35K welcome points (first year fee waived, must spend $750 within first three months - which is easy if you use it to buy gift cards for future use to purchase goods you're going to spend on anyway, such as groceries and gas).

My understanding is that you can go ahead and book any flight you want (no need to bother with their online booking site), then call or email the rewards department and tell them how many points you want to apply. They will then apply a credit to your account equal to the dollar amount of the points. So if I were to book a 500.00 flight and want to use 35K points, the flight would end up costing me $150.00.

If I've got that right has anyone tried it and run into any problems?
You don't need to call in or email them. They have a super user friendly tool via the site (don't think they have it on the app, or at least I've never done it). You can apply the points against any type of travel (hotel, flight, airbnb I think, sunwing packages, etc.). Pretty straight forward, never had an issue. If you want straight cash back, I think the rate is 3.2%. On that tool they have some cash back option or gifts (like iphones, giftcards, tvs, etc.). Like a true RFD'er, it only makes sense to apply the points to something you can get the max redemption from (travel).
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Aug 8, 2010
169 posts
60 upvotes
Also got the referral message, Signed up my self and got approved. Pm if anyone is interested in referral .
Mar 3, 2006
156 posts
7 upvotes
I understand that it takes about 5 statements before the signup points are credited to the account, which means if I signed up now, I wouldn't get the signup points until about April.

If I signup now, use the credit card to pay for a flight that would take place in January/Feb, could I use the points I receive in April towards this? Basically I want to know how retroactively we can apply the points towards travel that was purchased with the card
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
1247 posts
679 upvotes
Etobicoke
eville wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 3:35 pm
I understand that it takes about 5 statements before the signup points are credited to the account, which means if I signed up now, I wouldn't get the signup points until about April.

If I signup now, use the credit card to pay for a flight that would take place in January/Feb, could I use the points I receive in April towards this? Basically I want to know how retroactively we can apply the points towards travel that was purchased with the card
Yes you can use that points for your past purchase s upto 12 months. So for your jan-2107 purchase you can use points till december-2017.
Jul 23, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
York
Do you mean that you already have one card and got the referral message in your account so you self referred yourself for a second card?
Will u get 35000 points and first year free if you get a second card?

brarboyz wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 3:43 am
Also got the referral message, Signed up my self and got approved. Pm if anyone is interested in referral .
Aug 8, 2010
169 posts
60 upvotes
Yes already had the card and self reffered for the second card, will wait and see if I get the points.
didi love wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 7:49 pm
Do you mean that you already have one card and got the referral message in your account so you self referred yourself for a second card?
Will u get 35000 points and first year free if you get a second card?
Sep 3, 2012
186 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
brarboyz wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:32 pm
Yes already had the card and self reffered for the second card, will wait and see if I get the points.
When does the referer get the bonus? I expect the 5000 points would be credited upon approval. That could give us a good sign that self referal works instead of waiting months after reaching $750 spending ;)
Aug 8, 2010
169 posts
60 upvotes
ofertasgo wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:55 am
When does the referer get the bonus? I expect the 5000 points would be credited upon approval. That could give us a good sign that self referal works instead of waiting months after reaching $750 spending ;)
In the terms it says 2-3 statements for the referral bonus to be posted
Jan 31, 2016
806 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got the referral offer too. Now just need to find friends and family looking to sign up.
Oct 27, 2017
4 posts
For the people self-referring, do you sign up as if you didn't have the card already and just use all of your same info? And they just let you have two of the same cards? Does your credit limit get split between the two cards?
Mar 28, 2016
183 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
For this card or travel cards in general, would AirBnB/VRBO booking be redeemable for points?