Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Scotiabank American Express - 35,000 ($350) Welcome Bonus + FYF + 5K Referral Bonus

Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto

Scotiabank American Express - 35,000 ($350) Welcome Bonus + FYF + 5K Referral Bonus

Expiry:
December 31, 2017
Just signed into my Scotia account and noticed the following offer posted

Essentially if someone refers you, you get the 35k points + FYF, and the referrer gets 5K bonus as well (Total 40k points if you "self-refer" - i.e. husband/wife)

Also looks like each cardholder can refer a max of 5 other people.
MR ________ SINGH, refer a friend and get 5,000 Scotia Rewards® points.

You already know the outstanding travel benefits of the Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card. Share the benefits with your friends before December 31, 2017 and you all get rewarded.1

Now when you refer a friend, you receive 5,000 points for each friend who is approved for a new Scotiabank Gold American Express Card, up to a maximum annual referral bonus of 25,000 points.

They'll also receive an exclusive offer — a welcome bonus of 35,000 points and their annual fee is waived for one year. Isn't it time you shared the travel power of the Scotiabank Gold American Express card with your friends?

Don't wait, this offer ends December 31, 2017 — tell your friends now.

Note: To avoid getting this thread deleted, please do not post asking for referrals....
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
377 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2200 upvotes
Looks targeted, I don't see the 35k offer or the 5k offer.
Nov 24, 2016
86 posts
258 upvotes
I have this card for over 5 years. I noticed the Scotia Reward program is getting worse than before. I am thinking to cancel my both gold visa and gold AMEX all together. Beware!
Apr 24, 2007
45 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Jayz911 wrote: I have this card for over 5 years. I noticed the Scotia Reward program is getting worse than before. I am thinking to cancel my both gold visa and gold AMEX all together. Beware!
i just signed up yesterday....Im switching from TD gold visa to Scotia. Could you explain how is it getting worse?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
Jayz911 wrote: I have this card for over 5 years. I noticed the Scotia Reward program is getting worse than before. I am thinking to cancel my both gold visa and gold AMEX all together. Beware!
I've had this card since it came out... prob the best on the market if you spend within their return rates. They also offer some pretty good insurance. I didn't get the referral email sadly :(. Maybe its targeted? Last time I maxed out quickly.

Edit:
NVM found it. Can start referring my friends again hahaha. Thanks OP. Last time it was 10k per user, both are max of 5 referrals.
Last edited by vinnie1990 on Oct 25th, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Nov 24, 2016
86 posts
258 upvotes
I mainly use Scotia Reward for booking flights. So here are the issues, first, their website is not mobile friendly. Second, their office hours is way shorter than Expedia for TD, and you will wait for a while to talk to someone. Yes, I have TD's first class visa as well. Third, they don't have much choices on flights and hotels. The last point, their best price guarantee is a joke. It is hard to use, they don't show your ticket class code from their website but it has to match for eligibility. TD's is much easy to use.

I used to use their gold amex to collect points, and used their gold visa to buy flight tickets, because their gold visa offer 5% cach back when I book flights from their website. But the service is bad enough, and complaint to Scotia bank customer service doesn't help, because they are two different companies.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Jayz911 wrote: I mainly use Scotia Reward for booking flights. So here are the issues, first, their website is not mobile friendly. Second, their office hours is way shorter than Expedia for TD, and you will wait for a while to talk to someone. Yes, I have TD's first class visa as well. Third, they don't have much choices on flights and hotels. The last point, their best price guarantee is a joke. It is hard to use, they don't show your ticket class code from their website but it has to match for eligibility. TD's is much easy to use.

I used to use their gold amex to collect points, and used their gold visa to buy flight tickets, because their gold visa offer 5% cach back when I book flights from their website. But the service is bad enough, and complaint to Scotia bank customer service doesn't help, because they are two different companies.
So why don't you just book it from an airline and use your points to offset the cost? Isn't that what MOST people do?
Nov 24, 2016
86 posts
258 upvotes
Because I have a gold visa, and it gives me 5% cash back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Jayz911 wrote: Because I have a gold visa, and it gives me 5% cash back.
so how does that make the scotia program worse? Does not make sense at all.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
zaidyboy wrote: so how does that make the scotia program worse? Does not make sense at all.
+1. Book your travel stuff with anyone... and use the points to offset/refund the points back!. It's the easiest system and avoids any blackouts.. It's not limited to their scotia system
Vinh
Jan 13, 2017
852 posts
469 upvotes
Here's the link and info about booking with another company and then using your scotia rewards points to offset it....says in their FAQ. Hope this helps you!

Scotiabank FAQ redeeming rewards
What can I redeem Scotia Rewards® points for?

With the Scotia Rewards Program, you can redeem your points for thousands of rewards. Choose from an extensive collection of rewards and redeem your points easily online.

Redeem your points for the latest in technology and merchandise from the Apple and Best Buy catalogues
Take advantage of brand-name merchandise rewards - you can find everything from household goods to jewelry and accessories
Choose from a huge selection of prepaid and gift cards
Exchange your points for a credit to your eligible Scotia Rewards Program Card Account with Scotia Rewards Points for Credit
Book travel with the Scotia Rewards Travel Service and take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee on Airfare* for up to 24 hours after booking as well as competitive travel rates, discounts and more. You can redeem your points for flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and more.

Or, if you prefer to do things on your own, you can book travel with any provider, on your own, and redeem points for your trip expenses for up to 12 months after the travel purchase date with the Apply Points to Travel feature.

Apply Points to Travel
Your travel purchases are listed below, including the ones you didn’t book through the Scotia Rewards® Travel Service. All your items here are eligible for points redemption.

If a travel transaction which meets the eligibility requirements in the Terms & Conditions does not appear on your “Apply Points” page, please call 1-800-665-2582 to speak to an agent.

You can apply Scotia Rewards points only once against a unique travel transaction. Unfortunately, no partial point redemptions are allowed at this time. Once you redeem your Scotia Rewards points for that travel purchase, the travel transaction will be removed. All redemptions are final. Please call 1-800-665-2582 to speak to an agent if you have any questions prior to completing your transaction.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9451 posts
11813 upvotes
Calgary
any rules on churn? I just cancelled my scotiabank amex today.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3978 posts
4231 upvotes
this is easily the best card .....4% on groceries, gas and RESTAURANTS too ......with no cap .... the only catch is it's AMEX which means a lot of places dont take it ....
Oct 24, 2017
234 posts
281 upvotes
Interesting that it's changed from last year to this year.

Last year I recall it being 10,000 points per referral...

Anyway, great card.
Feb 20, 2017
213 posts
418 upvotes
This is my favourite card right now! If only more places accepted AMEX.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
pongster wrote: this is easily the best card .....4% on groceries, gas and RESTAURANTS too ......with no cap .... the only catch is it's AMEX which means a lot of places dont take it ....
most of the places I go take AMEX, I find that very few places don't take it anymore, other than small shops/restaurants. I wish Loblaw would take it since that's super close to me haha. It also gives 4% on movie tickets, sports tickets, etc. Pretty nice for date nights :)

edit: shame it lost costco
Vinh
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
For those saying this is getting worse make no sense at all.

It's a flat redemption against any travel purchase. You can book anywhere and redeem your points on it dating back a full year! Love the card.

It's great for the 4% on the gas but my car doesn't take gas anymore haha Face With Tears Of Joy
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Sep 30, 2013
719 posts
840 upvotes
North Vancouver
Get this card, no card is better!