Personal Finance

Scotiabank ATM ate $2000, Tangerine won't give it back

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 11:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i guess you get what you pay for with Tangerine.

good luck
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
amarillopingu wrote: I also tried to withdraw $60 on Tuesday at a Scotia ATM and got denied. I thought there was a problem with my pin so I did it again. Total 2 failed withdrawals with $60 each.

If not because of this post, I wouldn't have checked my tangerine transactions! I wouldn't have noticed that tangerine deducted $60 x2 from my account. I just called Tangerine and was asked to wait up to 6 weeks for the investigation result...

Hope we get our money back. This really shouldn't have happened.
I have never had a problem withdrawing cash from ATM's.
I'd exclusively been using PCF (via CIBC) and CIBC ATM's for the last 15 years without any ATM mishaps. Any large withdrawals, I would go to a teller in-person.

Having recently switched to Tangerine as my main daily bank, I've only made about a dozen ATM withdrawals so far, all $100 and under.
(all from Scotiabank ATM's). So far, so good.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I've had something similar happen with RBC, took them a while to do their investigations but I got the money back.

With Tangerine I recently had fraudulent transactions on my account - someone took nearly $1000 out of my account - I was alerted due to email alerts I had set, I called Tangerine that night to stop it, they stopped it, looked into it and the money was returned to my account and a new card issued within 24 hours. I was actually SUPER impressed by them!

OP, be patient. They need to do due diligence on this as well.
Jan 25, 2017
77 posts
58 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Jesus Christ. Give them some time to investigate and don't act like a spoiled 1st world country brat.

I never had any issues getting my money back from a bank in Canada. They made mistake, they will fix it.

I also never had a rep hang up on me, but I always try and be polite on not tell them to #### off even if it's their fault.

Just sayin'
So were you affected by this issue as well, or are you just talking s***?

There's nothing to investigate, this is a known issue affecting multiple customers.

They're saying another 2-3 business days.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
hidlss wrote: So were you affected by this issue as well, or are you just talking s***?

There's nothing to investigate, this is a known issue affecting multiple customers.

They're saying another 2-3 business days.
Known issue doesn't mean they don't have to investigate.

They have to audit the money from that machine to see if you are lying or not.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Jesus Christ. Give them some time to investigate and don't act like a spoiled 1st world country brat.

I never had any issues getting my money back from a bank in Canada. They made mistake, they will fix it.

I also never had a rep hang up on me, but I always try and be polite on not tell them to #### off even if it's their fault.

Just sayin'
when your out 2k and get the run around let me know how you feel. especially since this is all on Scotia's end. that's a lot of money to just wait and see how it goes
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
Sounds like the safe bet is to transfer first from Tangerine to a free B&M savings account (or LOC) and withdraw from a teller to avoid any chance at problems if this is a "known issue" situation that comes up with large withdrawals at Scotia ATMs.

If you use an LOC you can try the ATM first since if it fails you'd still have access at a teller to other funds available based on your limit.

I used to bank with PCF chequing as my primary for years.
Then I switched to PCF LOC because 1-day delayed transfer from savings annoyed the crap out of me and this way I always had access to as much funds as necessary even with 0 day notice.
Then I switched to ING Direct/Tangerine chequing.
Now I'm with EQ for everything but Tangerine for rare debit use.
I'm thinking to switch it up to EQ + PCF LOC though to avoid accidental overdraft fees and any issues with bogusly held deposits/failed-withdrawals.

Or maybe CIBC since they appear to have free Interac e-Transfers for their LOC so that's a plus vs PCF.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Dec 21, 2007
825 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm wondering if something is up with their system atm -- Tried to deposit $50 into 2 machines today and both said there was a system error and couldn't continue (thankfully before it took my cash).
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
karnige wrote: when your out 2k and get the run around let me know how you feel. especially since this is all on Scotia's end. that's a lot of money to just wait and see how it goes
I was thinking the same thing when my account was compromised and money removed. Thankfully I had money to pay bills but I feel sorry for the people that wouldn't have been able to fill that gap quickly. Confused Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes
Conundrum1911 wrote: I'm wondering if something is up with their system atm -- Tried to deposit $50 into 2 machines today and both said there was a system error and couldn't continue (thankfully before it took my cash).
Did it deposit the $50 into your account twice despite errors? Why they deducted the money from account even with error but not putting money in with error too?
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Do they not have cameras near ATM so can tell did not get money right away?

I normally try to use ATM where can see camera and then once punch in pin, move so camera sees if cash came out from machine or not.

Then count it just in case. Not daily user of ATM so could be bothersome for someone who is but when it is your word against bank guess who wins.

Maybe should start taping with phone... tech supposed to increase convenience but not always implemented in that manner.

GL and hope get funds back soon.
Last edited by georvu on Jul 19th, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Dec 21, 2007
825 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
mkl38s wrote: Did it deposit the $50 into your account twice despite errors? Why they deducted the money from account even with error but not putting money in with error too?
It never got to taking the envelope (right when it should have asked me to insert it, it shot out the error message). Checking account now, no posted activity, so nothing extra or missing in my account.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
amarillopingu wrote: If not because of this post, I wouldn't have checked my tangerine transactions! I wouldn't have noticed that tangerine deducted $60 x2 from my account. I just called Tangerine and was asked to wait up to 6 weeks for the investigation result...ed.
And if not because of the ATM issue, you wouldn't have signed up in Red Flags .
Dec 24, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
iamthebest wrote: And if not because of the ATM issue, you wouldn't have signed up in Red Flags .
Yes, I will try to be more active. Thank youWinking Face
Dec 24, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
905P4N6 wrote: I have never had a problem withdrawing cash from ATM's.
I'd exclusively been using PCF (via CIBC) and CIBC ATM's for the last 15 years without any ATM mishaps. Any large withdrawals, I would go to a teller in-person.

Having recently switched to Tangerine as my main daily bank, I've only made about a dozen ATM withdrawals so far, all $100 and under.
(all from Scotiabank ATM's). So far, so good.
I've been with Tangerine for a few years now and have had no problem with atm withdrawals before, so was quite surprised with the error. Hope the issue will be fixed so no one has to go through the unecessary trouble going forward.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: And if not because of the ATM issue, you wouldn't have signed up in Red Flags .
Actually, to be fair, he's been an RFDr since Dec 24, 2014, without posting on the forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2056 posts
348 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
so you didn't take a photo with your phone of the error message? especially the 2nd time it happened?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
So is this a tangerine only problem or is it a scotiabank wide problem? I guess it's best to just avoid scotia all together for safety.
Not a political sig
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dealguy2 wrote: So is this a tangerine only problem or is it a scotiabank wide problem? I guess it's best to just avoid scotia all together for safety.
My gosh couldn't be more the truth...I avoid Scotia like the plague. Never had a positive experience and their processes are so damn archaic everything takes forever. I needed to update an address on a car loan and they couldn't just take the info over the phone - I had to go to a branch, fill out a paper form and the branch faxed it in :|

AND then, last year, I had vented about this on the Scotiabank facebook page and a random employee from a branch in Alberta sent me a message saying that it's not nice to post feedback like that because people are losing their jobs etc etc...lol that whole bank is a joke.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Jul 15, 2012
6 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
hidlss wrote: On Tuesday, I tried to withdraw $2000 in $1000 increments from my Tangerine account at a Scotiabank ATM. The first withdrawal went fine, but the next one was denied, and the one after that. My bank account reflected that I had just withdrawn $3000. I called Tangerine right away - the rep said that it was a "known issue", and that it would take 2-3 business days to return my money.

Fast forward to Saturday - they still have my $2000, so I called back. The first rep told me it'll take up to six weeks for an investigation, then he hung up on me. The second rep said I should wait until Tuesday.

I rarely withdraw any cash (maybe once a year, if that), and this is the second time this has happened - the first time with an ING Direct ATM in 2013. What good is a bank that just takes your money for "up to six weeks", and hangs up on you when you call them about it? Absolutely disgusting.

What should I do? I'm willing to wait until Tuesday but definitely not six freaking weeks.
That's very strange. I had a problem with a withdrawal from a Scotiabank ATM, the machine did not dispense the cash but still debited my account.
I called in and was told to wait 5 business days as Scotia would realize what happened when they reconciled the machine and credit my account.
That did not happen, so I called again and the rep started an investigation which can take six weeks, buts it's the banks policy to immediately credit the amount back to your account.
The money was in my account the same day.
Keeping it depends on the outcome of the investigation, if they find in my favor, all is well. If it goes against me they take the money back.
I've always found ING/Tangerine reps very helpful, I've banked there since 2005.