Hot Deals

Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus, and a $75 gift card. First Year Fee Waived!

May 31, 2007
244 posts
19 upvotes
Victoria, bc
Thanks to whomever posted that some cards were declined if you applied from a multi-IP (such as work) address. I was declined in November 2016 and found that quite odd, as I have never been declined for a credit card.
Upon calling Scotiabank back then, no one could tell me why I was declined - all the CSRs I had talked to were essentially useless.

I re-applied last night from home and was instantly approved - card should be mailed to my home address. So the previous problem must have been submitting my application while at work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8047 posts
2825 upvotes
BC
jfd3220 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:36 pm
Thanks OP. I had a pending approval and then after a few days I called them and was told that I had to send them a copy of my driver's license. The CSR said that they required it because the birth-date I entered on the application was different from the one on my credit record. Seems unlikely. I did get approved a few hours after I sent my driver's license though.
I had the same thing. They told me the birthday too and it was off by one. I think maybe their site had a glitch that makes it easy to enter the wrong year or something and not notice it. Or actually show you one date and submit another. I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have seen that my birthday was wrong before proceeding to the next step.
POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
May 12, 2008
34 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
ryanltan wrote:
May 16th, 2017 2:50 pm
Applied got this twice

We have encountered something unexpected ...

Unfortunately our system has become temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Anyone else got this>
I got the same message, still haven't yet figured out the issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3140 posts
591 upvotes
Delerium777 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:42 pm
Thanks to whomever posted that some cards were declined if you applied from a multi-IP (such as work) address. I was declined in November 2016 and found that quite odd, as I have never been declined for a credit card.
Upon calling Scotiabank back then, no one could tell me why I was declined - all the CSRs I had talked to were essentially useless.

I re-applied last night from home and was instantly approved - card should be mailed to my home address. So the previous problem must have been submitting my application while at work.
i tried to do it from home computer multiple times after getting decline from work and it didn't work :(
Apr 17, 2016
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
davethegr8 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:44 pm
I have this problem as well, any trick to get it to work?
Not yet. I called in last week and they said it's because I used to have another account (now closed) and their system won't allow two accounts. Something about this account not registering properly. Well, that's what I recall anyways! They sent it to their tech team to figure out and I am supposed to get a call back this week - not much time left for that! I will follow up with the next week if it isn't resolved by then.
May 17, 2017
1 posts
Instant approval, just picked $5000 limit because I just want the points, and I saw a lot of declines.

Worked at Scotiabank before, so I know how their approval system works for the most part.

Hopefully get the points, as I had one before last year.
Aug 18, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
I went into the branch last week to apply for the amex and also requested for 5000. After running my credit, it says I was qualified for more. I asked them how hard would it to increase it the limit by a little and they said it was not a problem. I told them if it was anything harder than an email or phone call, to just leave it alone. I echoed that I do not want the risk of having another credit pulled.

Anyway, today I talked to the financial rep that did my application and they said that my original application was cancelled during the process. If I still wanted another credit card, they would have to pull another credit check, which I will not do.

What can I do from here? I asked for the branch manager to call me back as the financial rep could not give me a solution.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1002 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
I just got my card today and the 75 dollars gc is coming thx op
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8047 posts
2825 upvotes
BC
chopsticksonly wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:02 pm
I went into the branch last week to apply for the amex and also requested for 5000. After running my credit, it says I was qualified for more. I asked them how hard would it to increase it the limit by a little and they said it was not a problem. I told them if it was anything harder than an email or phone call, to just leave it alone. I echoed that I do not want the risk of having another credit pulled.

Anyway, today I talked to the financial rep that did my application and they said that my original application was cancelled during the process. If I still wanted another credit card, they would have to pull another credit check, which I will not do.

What can I do from here? I asked for the branch manager to call me back as the financial rep could not give me a solution.
Are you getting a mortgage or car loan next month? One credit check still worth $375 even if they just wasted one for nothing. The hit is miniscule and temporary.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Aug 18, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
ace604 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:56 pm
Are you getting a mortgage or car loan next month? One credit check still worth $375 even if they just wasted one for nothing. The hit is miniscule and temporary.
I plan on getting a mortgage in about 5 months, and I am going to apply for the marriott rewards card as well in the next 2 months. Had the amex been the only card I was going to apply for, then it would have made it easier for me to agree.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1245 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
chopsticksonly wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:02 am
I plan on getting a mortgage in about 5 months, and I am going to apply for the marriott rewards card as well in the next 2 months. Had the amex been the only card I was going to apply for, then it would have made it easier for me to agree.
ace604 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:56 pm
I did a bit of searching on this topic and everyone has their own theory on when to stop applying for credit card before getting a mortgage. The safest is 1 year plus without any new credit apps or hard pulls. Some say 6 months of no hard pulls is enough.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8047 posts
2825 upvotes
BC
chopsticksonly wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:02 am
You should have applied for Marriott first.
1) Chase can reportedly decline for having recent hits.
2) If Chase shutters their last card in Canada at the 5-year anniversary mark like they just did with Amazon then you don't have 2 months left to apply for it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8047 posts
2825 upvotes
BC
Elfwood wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:19 am
I did a bit of searching on this topic and everyone has their own theory on when to stop applying for credit card before getting a mortgage. The safest is 1 year plus without any new credit apps or hard pulls. Some say 6 months of no hard pulls is enough.
In your searching did you come across anyone declined a mortgage approval for too many credit card hits?

I think as long as you have a good score, a job, and a pulse, you are eligible for the best rates. There's also no uber-premium best rates for zero hits and 850 score.

It's pass/fail. If you have a "good" score that's a pass.
Nov 25, 2002
254 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
This bank is atrocious. I applied for a 5K credit limit and was approved on a follow-up call. Three days later I get a call from a branch to pick up the card and sign the application.
I got the card today and activated it online. I then wanted to create an account to view my transactions but I was forced to activate again. This seemed to cause other problems so I called their support and was told I was locked out because I entered the card number incorrectly - which I'm positive I did not. But here's the joke, I have to wait 30 days for the card number to be unlocked. I was told to go into a branch and get a debit card without an account and link it to my credit card and I can should be able to log in with that.
This whole process seems ridiculous. I'll call in again tomorrow before going to a branch but I've never seen such silly policies in my life and I worked in IT for a public corporation.
If anyone from Scotiabank can chime in, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Dec 10, 2014
157 posts
52 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
I'm still waiting for my 20,000pts from the last promo earlier this year in Feb. I met all other conditions, except that
I was told i need to wait 3 months, giving it til end of this month to give them another call.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel