Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Scotiabank

Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
I applied and got my card yesterday (After about a week), I'm still waiting for the $75 gift card

In the meantime I try to understand better how ScotiaRewards work, and the Scotiarewards site is clear as mud.

Does it mean if I spend $750 I'll get enough points (which is how many points?) to claim $300 worth of travel expenses, even without going through Scotia Travel?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
number17 wrote: I applied and got my card yesterday (After about a week), I'm still waiting for the $75 gift card

In the meantime I try to understand better how ScotiaRewards work, and the Scotiarewards site is clear as mud.

Does it mean if I spend $750 I'll get enough points (which is how many points?) to claim $300 worth of travel expenses, even without going through Scotia Travel?
The answer to that is in big bold letters on the Scotia page and in the first sentence of the OP:
SnoopDop wrote: From May 1st to July 31st, get a welcome bonus of 30,000 reward points, that's worth $300 in travel rewards, when you apply and get approved for the Scotiabank American Express Gold card.
[emphasis not mine, OP already had it underlined]

30k points can be redeemed for crappy merchandise at rip off rates, or just over $200 cash as "cash", or full value $300.00 towards any item you charge to your card anywhere that Amex classifies as "travel" (not necessary to be through Scotia Travel).

You can apply points to travel charges from the last 12 months. I logged in and poked around and found this part pretty easily. It even has a drop down box to find charges for back 12 months to 2016 even though you just got the card.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Nov 3, 2012
343 posts
166 upvotes
Vancouver
Do we get the points when we get the monthly statement or is it applied immediately to your account when the transaction shows up on Scotia online?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
antoniomn wrote: Do we get the points when we get the monthly statement or is it applied immediately to your account when the transaction shows up on Scotia online?
Neither. It's all month long but a couple days delayed.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1596 posts
1401 upvotes
Edmonton
RightOnEh wrote: Just applied, was prompted to upload proof of pay through a document centre. Definitely new since I've last applied. Better than having to visit a branch *fingers crossed*
I uploaded documents and still had to pick up at my bank
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2233 posts
1021 upvotes
Has anyone received their $75 gift card yet? Is it electronically or by email? How long did it take? I got instant approval on Thursday, received my card yesterday. My email isn't working, something wrong with Hosterbox server so I'm worried I might get the email but it got lost.

Didn't make an account, just entered my email and info when applying for the Scotia card so I don't have an account to even check my status for the gc
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
Vietlord wrote: Has anyone received their $75 gift card yet? Is it electronically or by email? How long did it take? I got instant approval on Thursday, received my card yesterday. My email isn't working, something wrong with Hosterbox server so I'm worried I might get the email but it got lost.

Didn't make an account, just entered my email and info when applying for the Scotia card so I don't have an account to even check my status for the gc
I was instantly approved-like 3.5 weeks ago, got the cc in the mail within 5 business days, - still no egift card. They will not look into it till 4 weeks out.
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
I am not seeing the $75 Gift Card anywhere. Is that offer expired ?
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
antoniomn wrote: Do we get the points when we get the monthly statement or is it applied immediately to your account when the transaction shows up on Scotia online?
What points? Bonus points? Like 3 to 4 months wait after you satisfy the spend requirement.
Any points from purchases show up a few days after the purchases posts to the account.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1219 posts
884 upvotes
I also have the "Error No. 1005" problem. Tried to use live chat to get the problem fixed, but was told I had to call in. I've never seen such a glaring problem persist for so long with a big bank website. Pretty disappointed with Scotia.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
marcsterr wrote: It's now June 6th and RSM status still says pending.

Any change for you?
I had a similar timeline and mine just changed to 'Approved' today.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
hackoder wrote: I had a similar timeline and mine just changed to 'Approved' today.
I just checked, me too! :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
If the yearly fee is $100 and you're getting 4 points/$1 on frequently used categories like gas/dining/groceries, then making up the $100 in travel points isn't that bad at all, right?
Koodo Mobile
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Said212 wrote: If the yearly fee is $100 and you're getting 4 points/$1 on frequently used categories like gas/dining/groceries, then making up the $100 in travel points isn't that bad at all, right?
$2475 spend in 4% categories to get you the $99 fee.
If you're not doing at least that, in fact you should be doing much more, than a premium card isn't for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6261 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: $2475 spend in 4% categories to get you the $99 fee.
If you're not doing at least that, in fact you should be doing much more, than a premium card isn't for you.
So if you have Tangerine Card with gas/dining/groceries as 2%, your break even points would be around $4975. Unless you spend more than that on gas/groceries/dining, no point keeping this card if you have Tangerine MC. The break even point would also be higher if you have PC WE MC and shop groceries at Loblaws, No Frills, RCSS, T&T, SDM, etc stores as they offer 3% equivalent points there
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote: $2475 spend in 4% categories to get you the $99 fee.
Agreed! My spending goes up due to frequent travel abroad to see my folks so this is perfect.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
mkl38s wrote: So if you have Tangerine Card with gas/dining/groceries as 2%, your break even points would be around $4975. Unless you spend more than that on gas/groceries/dining, no point keeping this card if you have Tangerine MC. The break even point would also be higher if you have PC WE MC and shop groceries at Loblaws, No Frills, RCSS, T&T, SDM, etc stores as they offer 3% equivalent points there
Agreed. Of course if you shop at Loblaws stores, PCWE is better hands down. They also don't accept Amex, or at least Super Store doesn't anyway.
For me the Scotia Amex is ideal, because I make use of all the 4% categories, including entertainment, as I buy a lot of concert tickets.
As for the Tangerine card, hopefully Scotia doesn't scale back the 2% rewards in the future like they did the 1% category.
Feb 10, 2016
7 posts
I was asked to upload a paystub, which I did, but haven't heard anything at all back since? Is this normal?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)