Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Scotiabank

Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Nov 10, 2014
70 posts
21 upvotes
Westmount, QC
seagull1987 wrote: Same score, had to provide proof of income AND submit my 2016 and 2015 tax assessment...
self employed i guess?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1458 posts
286 upvotes
Renous
schnitzer wrote: Just got my card in the mail!

How long does it take to get the bonus points?
blairs1 wrote:
Not sure if anyone has gotten them yet. I am waiting and received/made $750 in purchases before first cycle was done.
DanielM491 wrote: Same here. Got three cards between the wife and I. All exceeded the $750 in the first month.
The fine print suggests cycle 4 or 5
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Got the card in May - 3 billing cycles have passed, and I had the spend by the second. I'm thinking by Oct. bill at the latest.

Bummer if it takes that long. I was planning on using these for a trip in early Oct. Oh well, just have to plan a second trip I guess. Thanks Scotiabank for a good reason for another vacation! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7312 posts
6264 upvotes
Is anyone here planning to keep the card for daily use?
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
patpond wrote: I'm in the same boat as you guys. Got the card in May - 3 billing cycles have passed, and I had the spend by the second. I'm thinking by Oct. bill at the latest.

Bummer if it takes that long. I was planning on using these for a trip in early Oct. Oh well, just have to plan a second trip I guess. Thanks Scotiabank for a good reason for another vacation! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
You can retroactively redeem the points towards any travel charges made on the card from the past 12 months.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jun 10, 2016
641 posts
585 upvotes
Whitby
ace604 wrote: You can retroactively redeem the points towards any travel charges made on the card from the past 12 months.
but whats the point ? you still would've paid the statement balance using your real money..
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1298 posts
1417 upvotes
Abbotsford
You get real money credited to your card.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
EmmEmm wrote:
but whats the point ? you still would've paid the statement balance using your real money..
DanielM491 wrote: You get real money credited to your card.
Exactly this.

Charge $750 travel day 1. Pay that bill with "real money"
Get $350 "real money" as a travel credit day 150 towards the day 1 charge as a statement credit towards charges you made in month 5.
Pretty easy to spend $350 just on the 4x categories I find.

So basically you save $350 on your bill in month 6. Why wait even longer for another trip to redeem the points?! That's where I'd say "but what's the point?"

Take the $350 in month 6, not in month 8 or 10 or whenever the next travel charge is.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
EdisonL299 wrote: Is anyone here planning to keep the card for daily use?
If you spend money at restaurants or bars I'm really surprised at how many places are coded for 4% rebate. This may be the only card I actually pay the annual fee for. I don't think any other card offers rebates on restaurants.
Autocorrect sucks
Mar 6, 2010
757 posts
124 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: If you spend money at restaurants or bars I'm really surprised at how many places are coded for 4% rebate. This may be the only card I actually pay the annual fee for. I don't think any other card offers rebates on restaurants.
Costco master card offers 3% for dining with no fee for member.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7312 posts
6264 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: If you spend money at restaurants or bars I'm really surprised at how many places are coded for 4% rebate. This may be the only card I actually pay the annual fee for. I don't think any other card offers rebates on restaurants.
I can say 99% restaurants are coded for 4% cash back. The problem is if the restaurant takes Amex. IMO this card is great for grocery, gas, restaurants and entertainment (movies, concerts, sports, ticketmaster ONLY).
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Mar 6, 2013
372 posts
157 upvotes
Why doesn't Amex lower it's percentage to be universally accepted? I've ordered food and went to pay with my AMEX and when told it wasn't accepted, said then I won't purchase anything (the food was already in my car, gave it back and left the drive through). If retailers realize they are loosing out on people then they will hopefully add Amex? You would think Scotiabank being behind AMEX now, it would be more accepted.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
toaster5 wrote: Why doesn't Amex lower it's percentage to be universally accepted? I've ordered food and went to pay with my AMEX and when told it wasn't accepted, said then I won't purchase anything (the food was already in my car, gave it back and left the drive through). If retailers realize they are loosing out on people then they will hopefully add Amex? You would think Scotiabank being behind AMEX now, it would be more accepted.
I see your point but that's a dick move to do that to a restaurant unless they told you they accepted AMEX prior to ordering.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
toaster5 wrote: Why doesn't Amex lower it's percentage to be universally accepted? I've ordered food and went to pay with my AMEX and when told it wasn't accepted, said then I won't purchase anything (the food was already in my car, gave it back and left the drive through). If retailers realize they are loosing out on people then they will hopefully add Amex? You would think Scotiabank being behind AMEX now, it would be more accepted.
Amex charges higher transaction fees, that's why the majority of places don't take it.

edit: misread
Aug 8, 2016
480 posts
78 upvotes
Shoppers doesn't count as one of the places for 4x the points??
May 1, 2014
151 posts
120 upvotes
Kanata, ON
I applied and was requested to send them proof of income and when I sent I got rejected! I am a student and my salary is 30K for RA/TA and have 6-7 credit cards including two Amex. I was never rejected for any credit card before!
Jan 5, 2016
403 posts
257 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Shoppers DRUG mart is categorized under DRUG stores. I know shocker right.

RFD tip: Use the PC Financial World Elite to get 3% back at SDM for no annual fee.
Last edited by Diggingupbones on Aug 22nd, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 12, 2015
428 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just applied through GCR and got rejected with the following message:

Your Application Details
Product: Scotiabank Gold American Express Card

thank you for applying for a Scotiabank credit card.

After reviewing your application, we regret that we are unable to issue this credit card to you as your application does not meet our criteria at this time.

If you have any additional information or questions about your application, please contact us at 1-800-909-6667.

Now what to do, please need some advice. Thanks in advance.
Jul 8, 2017
86 posts
60 upvotes
ahmeddotdoha wrote: Just applied through GCR and got rejected with the following message:

Your Application Details
Product: Scotiabank Gold American Express Card

thank you for applying for a Scotiabank credit card.

After reviewing your application, we regret that we are unable to issue this credit card to you as your application does not meet our criteria at this time.

If you have any additional information or questions about your application, please contact us at 1-800-909-6667.

Now what to do, please need some advice. Thanks in advance.
Some people have reported that Scotiabank rejected their application without even doing a credit check. Some people had to enter their monthly expenses as 0. Even using your web browser in incognito mode could cause problems. The best way to find out why they rejected your application is to call them and ask.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)