Hot Deals

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1139 posts
309 upvotes
Kanada

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Link:
Expiry:
July 31, 2017
Retailer:
Scotiabank
More offers from Scotiabank
From May 1st to July 31st, get a welcome bonus of 30,000 reward points, that's worth $300 in travel rewards, when you apply and get approved for the Scotiabank American Express Gold card.
The welcome bonus is conditional to a minimum spend of $750 in regular purchases within the first 3 months of account opening, and the bonus will be posted within 2 billing cycles after the first 3rd months where you complete the minimum spend.

Plus, if you apply through ratesupermarket.ca ratehub.ca, you will receive a $75 gift card

Q:Which stores accept American Express cards ?
A:The link below provides an interactive map that lists small businesses that accept AmEx (large businesses and chains are not listed there)
https://maps.americanexpress.com/ShopSmallCanada

If you visit the business and it still won't accept Amex cards, you can report them at www.takeamex.ca
Let's give our business to stores that welcome Amex, instead of stingy businesses who don't.

#
#
#
#
#
Last edited by SnoopDop on May 1st, 2017 9:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
[solicitation removed]
Thread Summary
RSM offer seems gone, but ratehub has similar $75 deal:
https://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/car ... an-express

For people confused about redemptions, you can "Apply Points to Travel" as one of the grid of 9 choices you get when you click "redeem" in your ScotiaRewards account.

Direct link if you are logged in already:
https://www.scotiarewards.com/en-CA/Tra ... rOwnTravel

OR if you click "travel" at the bottom of any page you get two clear choices to "Book travel" or "Apply Points to Travel":
https://www.scotiarewards.com/en-CA/Travel/Travel
1085 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1349 posts
460 upvotes
Great deal - last year the $300 bonus was only available through a referral from a current cardholder.

Beware that Scotiabanks application of the bonus points is spotty at best (from my experience). May require a telephone call to get the full 30k
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1139 posts
309 upvotes
Kanada
aviator_13 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 10:20 am
Great deal - last year the $300 bonus was only available through a referral from a current cardholder.

Beware that Scotiabanks application of the bonus points is spotty at best (from my experience). May require a telephone call to get the full 30k
And if you are lucky, they sometimes award the welcome bonus twice on the same account :)
[solicitation removed]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12006 posts
3735 upvotes
Oakville
I wish CostCo still accepted Amex. Le sigh...
Public Mobile
Koodo
Jul 22, 2010
370 posts
52 upvotes
Has anyone tried calling in to change the promo if they applied yesterday?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
1139 posts
563 upvotes
Etobicoke
SnoopDop wrote:
May 1st, 2017 11:44 am
And if you are lucky, they sometimes award the welcome bonus twice on the same account :)
I got it twice last year.
Feb 11, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Ugh. I got this in January with $250 bonus, fyf (primary and additional cardholders), and no gc :(

This is a lot better
Oct 24, 2008
615 posts
181 upvotes
How do you apply the travel bonus? I have a trip coming up in late june that includes hotel and a hefty car rental fee.. Could I use the points for this? Or would I not get them in time..
Nov 27, 2012
59 posts
17 upvotes
LONDON
There are not many places accepted American express,unless you are planning to cancel after 1 year like I did last year
May 17, 2012
712 posts
234 upvotes
grand valley
bpcrally wrote:
May 1st, 2017 12:39 pm
How do you apply the travel bonus? I have a trip coming up in late june that includes hotel and a hefty car rental fee.. Could I use the points for this? Or would I not get them in time..
you pay for hotel / car rental as per usual. once it shows up in your account you can redeem points against it. i believe you have 12 months to use points against a transaction. ie. you spend on travel in june 2017, you have until june 2018 to apply points against that particular spend.
Oct 24, 2008
615 posts
181 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
May 1st, 2017 12:47 pm
you pay for hotel / car rental as per usual. once it shows up in your account you can redeem points against it. i believe you have 12 months to use points against a transaction. ie. you spend on travel in june 2017, you have until june 2018 to apply points against that particular spend.
That would be perfect! Incase I don't get the points in time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1139 posts
309 upvotes
Kanada
esoxhntr wrote:
May 1st, 2017 12:47 pm
Correct. And the minimum redemption amount is $50
[solicitation removed]
Aug 27, 2007
138 posts
15 upvotes
Dammit, I just applied and got approved for this yesterday when it was only 25k.
Jul 10, 2004
980 posts
685 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
  • Just applied.
  • Denied: "After reviewing your application, we regret that we are unable to issue this credit card to you as your application does not meet our criteria at this time."
  • I called the phone number they had and the (very grumpy) agent told me that a credit check was NOT performed and that the reason my application failed was because this offer was not available online. She said I would need to apply in person at a branch or by phone (1-800-575-8888).
  • Guess I'll try by phone...

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

Rittle