Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Scotiabank

Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Link:
Expiry:
July 31, 2017
Retailer:
Scotiabank
More offers from Scotiabank
From May 1st to July 31st, get a welcome bonus of 30,000 reward points, that's worth $300 in travel rewards, when you apply and get approved for the Scotiabank American Express Gold card.
The welcome bonus is conditional to a minimum spend of $750 in regular purchases within the first 3 months of account opening, and the bonus will be posted within 2 billing cycles after the first 3rd months where you complete the minimum spend.

Plus, if you apply through ratesupermarket.ca ratehub.ca, you will receive a $75 gift card

Q:When will I receive my welcome bonus?
The welcome bonus will be posted along with your 5th monthly statement after account opening.

Q:Which stores accept American Express cards ?
A:The link below provides an interactive map that lists small businesses that accept AmEx (large businesses and chains are not listed there)
https://maps.americanexpress.com/ShopSmallCanada

If you visit the business and it still won't accept Amex cards, you can report them at www.takeamex.ca
Let's give our business to stores that welcome Amex, instead of stingy businesses who don't.
Last edited by SnoopDop on May 1st, 2017 9:56 am, edited 12 times in total.
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Thread Summary
RSM offer seems gone, but ratehub has similar $75 deal:
https://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/car ... an-express

For people confused about redemptions, you can "Apply Points to Travel" as one of the grid of 9 choices you get when you click "redeem" in your ScotiaRewards account.

Direct link if you are logged in already:
https://www.scotiarewards.com/en-CA/Tra ... rOwnTravel

OR if you click "travel" at the bottom of any page you get two clear choices to "Book travel" or "Apply Points to Travel":
https://www.scotiarewards.com/en-CA/Travel/Travel

Be aware - that the advertised "priority pass membership" is not a free benefit. You have to pay for the membership and then pay per entry to the lounges. *the fine print doesn't mention this, it is classic bait and switch. Not sure how they have gotten away with this blatant false advertising for so many years.
1487 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
2342 posts
2785 upvotes
Great deal - last year the $300 bonus was only available through a referral from a current cardholder.

Beware that Scotiabanks application of the bonus points is spotty at best (from my experience). May require a telephone call to get the full 30k
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
aviator_13 wrote: Great deal - last year the $300 bonus was only available through a referral from a current cardholder.

Beware that Scotiabanks application of the bonus points is spotty at best (from my experience). May require a telephone call to get the full 30k
And if you are lucky, they sometimes award the welcome bonus twice on the same account :)
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
I wish CostCo still accepted Amex. Le sigh...
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2010
1321 posts
288 upvotes
toronto
Has anyone tried calling in to change the promo if they applied yesterday?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
3496 posts
2139 upvotes
Etobicoke
SnoopDop wrote: And if you are lucky, they sometimes award the welcome bonus twice on the same account :)
I got it twice last year.
Feb 11, 2017
516 posts
830 upvotes
Ottawa
Ugh. I got this in January with $250 bonus, fyf (primary and additional cardholders), and no gc :(

This is a lot better
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1703 posts
1785 upvotes
How do you apply the travel bonus? I have a trip coming up in late june that includes hotel and a hefty car rental fee.. Could I use the points for this? Or would I not get them in time..
Nov 27, 2012
60 posts
18 upvotes
LONDON
There are not many places accepted American express,unless you are planning to cancel after 1 year like I did last year
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3197 posts
2220 upvotes
ontario
bpcrally wrote: How do you apply the travel bonus? I have a trip coming up in late june that includes hotel and a hefty car rental fee.. Could I use the points for this? Or would I not get them in time..
you pay for hotel / car rental as per usual. once it shows up in your account you can redeem points against it. i believe you have 12 months to use points against a transaction. ie. you spend on travel in june 2017, you have until june 2018 to apply points against that particular spend.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1703 posts
1785 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote: you pay for hotel / car rental as per usual. once it shows up in your account you can redeem points against it. i believe you have 12 months to use points against a transaction. ie. you spend on travel in june 2017, you have until june 2018 to apply points against that particular spend.
That would be perfect! Incase I don't get the points in time.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
esoxhntr wrote: you pay for hotel / car rental as per usual. once it shows up in your account you can redeem points against it. i believe you have 12 months to use points against a transaction. ie. you spend on travel in june 2017, you have until june 2018 to apply points against that particular spend.
Correct. And the minimum redemption amount is $50
Aug 27, 2007
257 posts
138 upvotes
Dammit, I just applied and got approved for this yesterday when it was only 25k.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6075 upvotes
Vancouver
  • Just applied.
  • Denied: "After reviewing your application, we regret that we are unable to issue this credit card to you as your application does not meet our criteria at this time."
  • I called the phone number they had and the (very grumpy) agent told me that a credit check was NOT performed and that the reason my application failed was because this offer was not available online. She said I would need to apply in person at a branch or by phone (1-800-575-8888).
  • Guess I'll try by phone...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2197 upvotes
From T&C:
In order to qualify for the Promotion, Participants must:

• Not already have a Scotiabank Credit Card account. This Promotion is only open to new Scotiabank Credit Card applicants.
I already have a SCENE Visa with them, does this mean I am automatically disqualified from the entire offer? Have any current Scotiabank CC holders had any luck being approved for JUST the card INCLUDING FYF + bonus points?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
sports1 wrote: From T&C:

I already have a SCENE Visa with them, does this mean I am automatically disqualified from the entire offer? Have any current Scotiabank CC holders had any luck being approved for JUST the card INCLUDING FYF + bonus points?
Where do you see thos Terms & Conditions ? Did you try to apply through ratesupermarket or greedyrates ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9435 posts
11735 upvotes
Calgary
rejected again. I phoned ratesupermarket, they are stunned.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2197 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote: Where do you see thos Terms & Conditions ? Did you try to apply through ratesupermarket or greedyrates ?
T&C at the bottom of the page here: https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals/scotiabank_rewards

I haven't tried to apply yet, but I'd be interested in applying - just curious if the T&C means that I'd be disqualified without consideration. Which is why I'm curious if any current Scotia CC holders have had success with this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)