Expired Hot Deals

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
slotscanada wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:18 pm
The only thing I can think is because I had this card a couple years ago and cancelled before renewal? Also heard you can only have 2 Amexs and I already do with Amex directly. Oh well.....
Madevilz wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:32 pm
I don't have an Amex card, the only thing I could think of is my Tangerine card which is owned by Scotia.
I have Tangerine MC. I don't think that matters. I also have 5 Canadian Amex Bank Amex cards (3 charge, 2 credit) and that doesn't impact Scotia Amex. Different bank so limit not applicable.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
May 29, 2003
755 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
bpcrally wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:06 pm
I applied and was approved on May 9th, gift card (amazon) still shows as pending though. I'm not in a rush, but how long should I expect to wait?
And I'm assuming this is an e-giftcard?
2-3 weeks but it depends on ScotiaBank reporting the card approval to RateSupermarket.

I applied for Tangerine MC on December 1st and got the GC by email on the 19th.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5100 posts
1141 upvotes
Montreal
ace604 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:18 pm
I have Tangerine MC. I don't think that matters. I also have 5 Canadian Amex Bank Amex cards (3 charge, 2 credit) and that doesn't impact Scotia Amex. Different bank so limit not applicable.

then I have no idea why I was declined :(
I wonder if they even checked my credit score. The page said it couldn't complete the application, but I received an email later to say that I was declined.
Jan 8, 2009
435 posts
303 upvotes
slotscanada wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:18 pm
Yeah I got the same thing twice. I called the Philippines call centre the first time and was told that the system declined it and didn't even pull a credit report? She advised it may be because of using my iPad? Tried again on a laptop and same thing. The only thing I can think is because I had this card a couple years ago and cancelled before renewal? Also heard you can only have 2 Amexs and I already do with Amex directly. Oh well.....
This is a known issue, and many people have experienced this problem. You can still get this card and the bonus points by applying through the phone or the branch, but you will miss out on the $75 gift card.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3765 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary
Got my approval notice about 6 business days after I uploaded my t4 to them. Have a Scotia momentum visa prior to application.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Jun 22, 2007
965 posts
285 upvotes
London, ON
gfnstew wrote:
May 10th, 2017 4:37 pm
Does anyone else get "[Error No. 1005] Invalid interface record." when they try to access the ScotiaRewards website? I log into ScotiaOnline, then click the link for ScotiaRewards and it constantly links between the two sites and provides this error!!
I have this problem as well, any trick to get it to work?
Mar 24, 2013
17 posts
8 upvotes
Applied got this twice

We have encountered something unexpected ...

Unfortunately our system has become temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Anyone else got this>
Jul 17, 2008
199 posts
153 upvotes
Got the card by mail yesterday and i do not have any account/services with Scotia.
Dec 5, 2010
890 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal,QC
So I submitted my employer letter last week Wednesday, and I called today to followup, they tell me they don't know why it hasn't been processed yet.

Now they need to call the employer to verify income. I said I could send a payslip, which I did today.
She said she could approve it today

Let's see how it turns out

So you can call this number for followups
8-6pm
Jul 22, 2010
394 posts
56 upvotes
Does anyone have an e-best buy gift card they would like to trade for an amazon card?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
Interesting conversation with Scotia ... I learned that they add 3% of your credit limit (for the card you are applying for only(?)) to your total debt servicing to calculate your TDSR (total debt service ratio) to make sure you are within their criteria for approval.

I had to call in to see why my 2nd card application was stalled (2 Scotia cards on same day applied for to get 1 credit check - this one + SCENE Visa). They had to add in the limit from this card and recalculate to verify within criteria still before approving the Visa. No new credit check though - I got this explanation when I asked "what do you need to calculate since you already did a credit check 2 weeks ago when I applied" :) (I was thinking he was going to do another check since he said the Amex wasn't on the credit bureau report at the time of application so he had to 'calculate something') :)

Now I have to wait for both cards to show up at the branch. Sounded like maybe if you were an existing Scotia customer you wouldn't have to always go to the branch too??
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Aug 22, 2001
673 posts
206 upvotes
Vancouver
I applied and was instantly approved on May 2. I picked up my card at the local Scotiabank branch on May 11. I received my $75 Amazon.ca gift card from RateSupermarket today.

I had this card a few years ago and kept it for two years until they would not waive the annual fee anymore. If you can find retailers to accept AMEX, the 4% travel cashback is a very good rate of return and easy to redeem (book your own travel, unlike with the BMO World Elite MasterCard).

When I went into the branch to pick up my card, I learned that if you bank with Scotiabank's Professional division, the annual fee for this card is waived indefinitely. Not sure about the details for that (e.g., monthly fees, monthly minimum balance, etc.) but if you are a professional, this might interest you.
Aug 1, 2007
550 posts
27 upvotes
Are you able to transfer these points onto another points system such as Aeroplan?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
Killer_Saves wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:58 am
Are you able to transfer these points onto another points system such as Aeroplan?
No, these are Capital One style travel points worth 1¢ each redeemed towards travel charges you already paid for on the card.
Jan 21, 2010
244 posts
140 upvotes
Brantford
Thanks OP. I had a pending approval and then after a few days I called them and was told that I had to send them a copy of my driver's license. The CSR said that they required it because the birth-date I entered on the application was different from the one on my credit record. Seems unlikely. I did get approved a few hours after I sent my driver's license though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)