Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Scotiabank

Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
marcsterr wrote: Thanks.

I just applied now and was approved.

For what it's worth, I currently have a Scotiabank Visa that just sits in my drawer since 2013.
Do you use it online once a year to avoid $10 inactivity fee?
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3173 posts
1082 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote: Do you use it online once a year to avoid $10 inactivity fee?
I do not. I didn't even know there was an inactivity fee?

Basically I had the Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite before but I hated the redemption system as they would only pay out in November or something stupid.

I converted it to a normal Momentum card and have left it in the drawer ever since.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
marcsterr wrote: I do not. I didn't even know there was an inactivity fee?

Basically I had the Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite before but I hated the redemption system as they would only pay out in November or something stupid.

I converted it to a normal Momentum card and have left it in the drawer ever since.
What happened to me was I got a $10 statement after a year. I called and complained. They reversed it and told me to use the card once a year. I didn't. A year later they closed my card :)
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sep 7, 2006
84 posts
26 upvotes
Applied, got the card in registered mail a week later, got $75 Amazon credit about same time. I used the card for $550 hotel bill this weekend and $300 amazon.ca gift cards for the family from air miles 7x promo at shell. With the $750 min spend out of the way I will pay off card balance next week, and file the card away. I am now waiting for the $300 credit vouchers, then I will cancel card. Sweet deal OP, new to churning, love it so far...
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
skwebby wrote: Applied, got the card in registered mail a week later, got $75 Amazon credit about same time. I used the card for $550 hotel bill this weekend and $300 amazon.ca gift cards for the family from air miles 7x promo at shell. With the $750 min spend out of the way I will pay off card balance next week, and file the card away. I am now waiting for the $300 credit vouchers, then I will cancel card. Sweet deal OP, new to churning, love it so far...
it's not a credit voucher. you will get 30,000 points added to your existing points balance that you just earned on the purchases.
Then you can select the $550 hotel bill and redeem those say 31,000 points towards it for $310 credit towards your statement.
You might want to spend $320 on the card that month before redeeming so the credit goes towards something instead of just sitting there.

AFTER that then you can close the card whenever you like.
Nov 19, 2010
97 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
ricedion wrote: Read the card details, first bullet:
Plus, $99 first year annual fee waiver.
Oops! My bad! Just noticed that. I figured that since the Momentum card has a note just under the fee saying "*Annual fee waiver for the first year," they'd be consistent...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9290 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
$750 in regular purchase within 3months means in normal categorywont count if used with stores that 4x points?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
L4cky wrote: $750 in regular purchase within 3months means in normal categorywont count if used with stores that 4x points?
Footnote on the main card page:

1 The bonus points offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. To qualify for the welcome bonus you must have at least $750 in net purchases (purchases less returns) posted to your account in the first 3 months from the account open date. The bonus points will appear as an adjustment on your Scotiabank Gold American Express Card statement within two statement cycles after the third billing cycle has passed. Offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. We will waive the initial annual fee for the primary card and additional cards for the first year. The regular annual fee is $99 for the primary card and $30 for each additional card. Offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. Any additional cards must be issued by July 31, 2017, to qualify for the offer. The annual interest rates for the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card are: 19.99% for purchases; and 22.99% for cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card Cheques. Rates and fees are subject to change without notice.

I don't see anything saying you have to spend $750 in 1x categories only and not 4x. Where do you get that idea from?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9290 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
ace604 wrote: Footnote on the main card page:

1 The bonus points offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. To qualify for the welcome bonus you must have at least $750 in net purchases (purchases less returns) posted to your account in the first 3 months from the account open date. The bonus points will appear as an adjustment on your Scotiabank Gold American Express Card statement within two statement cycles after the third billing cycle has passed. Offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. We will waive the initial annual fee for the primary card and additional cards for the first year. The regular annual fee is $99 for the primary card and $30 for each additional card. Offer applies to new accounts opened by July 31, 2017. Any additional cards must be issued by July 31, 2017, to qualify for the offer. The annual interest rates for the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card are: 19.99% for purchases; and 22.99% for cash advances, balance transfers and Scotia Credit Card Cheques. Rates and fees are subject to change without notice.

I don't see anything saying you have to spend $750 in 1x categories only and not 4x. Where do you get that idea from?
From op first post..
The welcome bonus is conditional to a minimum spend of $750 in regular purchases
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3021 posts
1533 upvotes
Burnaby
L4cky wrote: From op first post..
Pretty sure that's for things like cash advances. Something like a cash advance wouldn't count towards the $750.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
L4cky wrote:
From op first post..
amplified wrote: Pretty sure that's for things like cash advances. Something like a cash advance wouldn't count towards the $750.

Ya I agree. I don't see "regular" used anywhere on the actual page, it does say "everyday" though:
"30,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points,with your first $750 in everyday purchases in first three months. Plus, first year annual fee waiver1"
(with 1 being the footnote I already posted that says nothing about 1x vs 4x).
http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html

Also they use "everyday" again when describing both categories:

"Great reasons to get this card for your everyday purchases
Reach your goals 4x faster
  • Earn 4 Scotia Rewards points on every $1 you spend at eligible gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment.
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 you spend on everything else."

Don't worry about the wording of "regular" in OP, or "everyday" on the page. It just means "purchases".
Feb 27, 2010
5 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
WORST BANK !!! AND THE WORST BANK EVER TO DEAL WITH. Don't want to explain but just warn everyone not worth the hassle to deal with them!!
22 days to get my card actually working after numerous ridiculous issues with this bank!!
They can give me 100 free flights and I still won't consider them again ever!!
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
waiho3 wrote: WORST BANK !!! AND THE WORST BANK EVER TO DEAL WITH. Don't want to explain but just warn everyone not worth the hassle to deal with them!!
22 days to get my card actually working after numerous ridiculous issues with this bank!!
Thanks for that data point.

Was it phone staff or branch staff that contributed to your "worst ever" rating?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2753 posts
1624 upvotes
Ontario
waiho3 wrote: WORST BANK !!! AND THE WORST BANK EVER TO DEAL WITH. Don't want to explain but just warn everyone not worth the hassle to deal with them!!
I suspect some BMO customers would beg to differ; also no bank is perfect, the question is how prevalent their problems are.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Oct 7, 2007
364 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
had the same problem.. and I work in a building that houses a Scotiabank too! ugh Finally have the card in my hands after 2 months because all their weekends were "booked".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5384 posts
3826 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I applied and got approved mid of April - calls after calls, 3 weeks later went to a branch with my ID and paystub, and 2 more weeks of calls after calls... I still have not received card... I would like to complain, but then I remember the promo of points and RSM GC are all free.

So I will take this as a lesson to never do real business with Scotia but take advantage of their credit card offers. Lesson learnt, so I don't consider it a waste of my time.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11519 posts
5337 upvotes
Moving target
Thanks, applied and was instantly approved. I have to pick this up at the branch which sort of sucks but for $375 hey why not.

Thanks OP.
Autocorrect sucks
Mar 12, 2006
892 posts
243 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Thanks, applied and was instantly approved. I have to pick this up at the branch which sort of sucks but for $375 hey why not.

Thanks OP.
Also got instantly approved...weird?

Pick up at the branch as well.
Jun 4, 2016
12 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Instant approval, credit card will be mailed in 5-7 business days, sweet deal no hassle

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)