Expired Hot Deals

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
I think you've got it right. Scotia is just wonky.

I applied for two cards on the same day. This one and Scene. I have an ancient Scotia login from old mortgage and credit cards that are both closed for over 5+ years.

The Gold Amex got approved and then I got an email about being signed up for alerts on the email I used to apply for both cards.

Waited a few days, nothing on Scene Visa. Called them up, they manually calculated new TDSR using the new Amex limit added to prior info from credit pull and then approved me.

Then next day or so I get an email saying how I am now subscribed to alerts ... on an OLD email still linked to the old mortgage online login. LOL.

So I guess I will have two online logins now? Any way to merge the card over? I have low expectations. LOL.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sep 30, 2009
472 posts
95 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Applied on the 12th, received the application processing email saying need to wait 5 business days. Haven't heard a word since..
Jan 23, 2009
502 posts
169 upvotes
ontario
sorry off topic would anyone direct me to the RFD thread or Marriott link re: Marriott 50K point new account thx
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1990 posts
985 upvotes
patrickkc wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:02 am
Applied on the 12th, received the application processing email saying need to wait 5 business days. Haven't heard a word since..
That's typical of Scotia. Call them.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1540 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
ace604 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:34 am
In your searching did you come across anyone declined a mortgage approval for too many credit card hits?

I think as long as you have a good score, a job, and a pulse, you are eligible for the best rates. There's also no uber-premium best rates for zero hits and 850 score.

It's pass/fail. If you have a "good" score that's a pass.
However, it does cause more headaches than if your credit report is clean for the past year. If the mortgage lender is leery of recent (last 6 months) hard pulls, they will make the process of applying for a mortgage more tedious. They may ask for declaration of why you applied for credit card etc. And worse case where your credit score is on the edge of good/bad, the hard pull may make the lender want to get some guarantor to "boost" your credit worthiness.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1990 posts
985 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:53 am
I think you've got it right. Scotia is just wonky.

I applied for two cards on the same day. This one and Scene. I have an ancient Scotia login from old mortgage and credit cards that are both closed for over 5+ years.

The Gold Amex got approved and then I got an email about being signed up for alerts on the email I used to apply for both cards.

Waited a few days, nothing on Scene Visa. Called them up, they manually calculated new TDSR using the new Amex limit added to prior info from credit pull and then approved me.

Then next day or so I get an email saying how I am now subscribed to alerts ... on an OLD email still linked to the old mortgage online login. LOL.

So I guess I will have two online logins now? Any way to merge the card over? I have low expectations. LOL.
When you applied Gold Amex a new profile was created for you.
When you applied the Scene card, whoever approved your app attached it to your old profile instead of the new profile.
If you want it all under one, you'll have to call them and get them to merge the two profiles.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4281 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
patrickkc wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:02 am
Same to me too... 1 week from then, no update.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Apr 24, 2006
639 posts
133 upvotes
I had the same message. I ended up calling them on day 5, and all they needed was a copy of my driver's license.
"I don't even know what this is and i just ordered it... damn it rfd."
"Thanks OP. Didn't need them until RFD'ers convinced me that i did!"
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
poundfoolish wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:15 pm
i am amazed how many places don't accept amex.
protip: some places say they don't but they actually do. just say "Visa" and then try the Amex anyways.

I'm actually amazed how many places DO take Amex, since people tend to talk like above and I had the impression it would be hard to use it.
Other than known MasterCard-only places I've been able to use Amex way more places than I would have expected to in the past 15 months that I've been a heavy Amex user. All my prepaid bills that take credit cards take Amex too - even my son's preschool! :)
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
agit wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:17 am
sorry off topic would anyone direct me to the RFD thread or Marriott link re: Marriott 50K point new account thx
bgoliver, that's a different link than the one in RFD thread ... where'd you get it from?

RFD thread here for followup questions (read OP first for FAQs) ...
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/chase-m ... e-1218556/

ps. Thread search actually seems to work now (I know it was flakey at some point) so this thread is easy to find just searching "marriott visa 50k" :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9915 posts
876 upvotes
Markham
Hey Ace,

With the changes to Aeroplan, if you were using your AMEX MR points, what do you find to be the best bang for your buck?
Oct 24, 2008
652 posts
189 upvotes
I'm guessing I'll need to contact or goto my branch, I applied and was approved for this card more than 10 business days ago and haven't heard anything..
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
bpcrally wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:34 pm
I'm guessing I'll need to contact or goto my branch, I applied and was approved for this card more than 10 business days ago and haven't heard anything..
Ya, I got approved Sat. after uploading ID to confirm birthday last Friday. Just got a call from my branch today. Maybe you got hit with slow mail, or slow branch.
RolandCouch wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:30 pm
Hey Ace,

With the changes to Aeroplan, if you were using your AMEX MR points, what do you find to be the best bang for your buck?
Kinda of off-topic. but AP are still decent, or Avios or SPG.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)