Expired Hot Deals

[Scotiabank] Scotiabank Gold AMEX $300 travel welcome bonus. First Year Fee Waived!

Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7686 posts
1384 upvotes
Does the 4% bonus applies out of Canada/North America?

I'm thinking the 2.5% forex would be covered and be ahead 1.5% if it works while i travel
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6392 posts
1983 upvotes
Mississauga
patrickkc wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:34 am
For those that have the card, are you guys able to set up the online banking?

I only have this card with Scotia Bank and I can't set up it's online banking so I can view it's statements.

Anybody else have this problem?
Why?
This is the only Scotiabank product I have and I was able to setup a username and password like any other financial institution.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6392 posts
1983 upvotes
Mississauga
Messerschmitt wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:25 am

I'm thinking the 2.5% forex would be covered and be ahead 1.5% if it works while i travel
It's all depend on the merchant,I thought the same way when I booked $2600 USD Disney tickets,and it didn't show up as entertainment (unlike in the US),so I paid forex and I got 1% cashback only,by that time it was too late to cancel the tickets,I called Scotiabank they didn't bother ,on the contrary they offered me to cancel the card if I don't like it,and I will as soon as I get my bonus points.
Jul 4, 2012
63 posts
19 upvotes
Got the card over 4 months ago and spent the requirement right away yet I still haven't received the bonus points. Called in twice and the reps just keep saying next statement. Has anyone actually received the points?
Oct 31, 2003
764 posts
75 upvotes
Woodbridge
Messerschmitt wrote:

Ive used it for gas and groceries for the 4% in the US.
Feb 13, 2014
404 posts
215 upvotes
RFD Land
Sym000 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:04 am
Got the card over 4 months ago and spent the requirement right away yet I still haven't received the bonus points. Called in twice and the reps just keep saying next statement. Has anyone actually received the points?
Expect the points on the 5th Statement if you made the Spend before the 1st Statement. Its 3 Statements to make the Min Spend... Then the Pts appear within 2 Statements after.

ie: 6 Months almost before you get the Pts... They will show up. Just need to wait it out.
Jan 9, 2011
989 posts
514 upvotes
Vancouver
theshowman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:40 am
I set up an online profile for the SB Amex without a debit card. Just uses a userid instead. Internally it sets up a virtual debit card. YMMV
Scotiabank is notorious for not knowing how their systems work and for telling customers false information. I went in to the branch with a voided cheque from my credit union, to set up pre-authorized payment of my Scotia Amex balance.

Teller: We can do that, but you have to take a form over to your credit union for them so sign and stamp, and then you return the form here.
Me: I never had to do that for my Scotia Visa. It was processed here in the branch with just the blank cheque.
Teller: Oh. [spends a minute on the computer] OK, it's all set up now.

Sigh...
Jan 9, 2011
989 posts
514 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote:

Yes, I got 4% at gas stations in Hungary last summer. I actually came out 1.6% ahead, because you earn points on the entire amount shown on the statement, including the 2.5% forex fee.
Sep 30, 2009
500 posts
102 upvotes
Richmond Hill
immortal_kssss wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:30 am
Why?
This is the only Scotiabank product I have and I was able to setup a username and password like any other financial institution.
I try to activate since I'm new to Scotia Online. It asks for my credit card # and I get nothing but error after I enter it in.

Maybe I am doing it wrong?
Dec 19, 2006
248 posts
31 upvotes
NCR
Arrow wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 12:37 am
Thanks!
I forgot to mention that apparently you can only credit a transaction once. So I had $350 that I applied to a $700 charge, but I can't use future points to credit towards the $350 balance. You would have to apply future points to a different travel transaction.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3747 posts
726 upvotes
Winnipeg
Applied today (through GCR $50) and approved instantly

Said the card will arrive between 5-7 business days.

Reading through the thread, a lot of people mentioned the card gets delivered to a branch; I don't do any banking with Scotia, wonder if it will come to my house or sit in a branch for a month until they call?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3815 upvotes
BC
canuckcolehead wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 12:24 pm
Applied today (through GCR $50) and approved instantly

Said the card will arrive between 5-7 business days.

Reading through the thread, a lot of people mentioned the card gets delivered to a branch; I don't do any banking with Scotia, wonder if it will come to my house or sit in a branch for a month until they call?
Don't wait a month for them to call :)

Did it not say where the card will arrive? IIRC, my email said it was being sent to a branch.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Dec 22, 2005
187 posts
18 upvotes
My email says:

Congratulations, you’ve been approved for a Scotiabank credit card. Your card along with information about its features and benefits should arrive in 5-7 business days.

Im still waiting for the card to arrive.
Jul 7, 2009
390 posts
131 upvotes
I applied for the card and got it in mail ~ 3 weeks after I got the email saying I've been approved and the card is on its way, for those who are asking.

I ran a comparison of different travel rewards cards and this card offers 4% for gas, groceries and dinner, but only 1% for everything else. It depends on your usage pattern, but the Capital One Aspire offers a flat 2% on everything and also 10,000 anniversary points ($100 in reward) every year. To me, that is a better deal unless you spend majority of your spendings on those categories (gas, dinner, etc.)

But since the first year fees is waived for the Scotiabank AMEX, I'll get the best of both worlds in using both cards, putting all the gas and dinner charges on my AMEX and all other expenses on my Capital One, then cancel the scotiabank AMEX after 1 yr.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3815 upvotes
BC
number17 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 2:35 pm
I applied for the card and got it in mail ~ 3 weeks after I got the email saying I've been approved and the card is on its way, for those who are asking.

I ran a comparison of different travel rewards cards and this card offers 4% for gas, groceries and dinner, but only 1% for everything else. It depends on your usage pattern, but the Capital One Aspire offers a flat 2% on everything and also 10,000 anniversary points ($100 in reward) every year. To me, that is a better deal unless you spend majority of your spendings on those categories (gas, dinner, etc.)

But since the first year fees is waived for the Scotiabank AMEX, I'll get the best of both worlds in using both cards, putting all the gas and dinner charges on my AMEX and all other expenses on my Capital One, then cancel the scotiabank AMEX after 1 yr.
You've left out 4% on entertainment, which is things like movies, Ticketmaster (including pricey season tickets!)

The Cap1 card you are describing is no longer available in that form, so it's not an option for those who don't have the grandfathered form like we do.

The current card has no $100 anniversary credit and has a higher $150 fee along with a higher $400 signup bonus.

Both that and this are churn-worthy.

Net $250 gain from Cap1, net $350 gain from Scotia Gold Amex.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)