• Nov 20th, 2019 10:54 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
6168 posts
1020 upvotes
multi city dweller
anniem2015 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2019 8:52 pm
The same happened to me but they are just looking for excuses. When I applied for the card in February, I was accepted. I called to be sure that I am eligible because I closed my account in 2016 and asked when I'll get the first part of the 10% reward. A customer service rep explained how it works and assured me that I'll get it in July. I kept using the card but I didn't get the reward. I called in September to ask about it. They checked everything and admitted I was eligible but they said that I was OBLIGED to spend 2000$ during 3 first months and I only spend 1800$. I proved them wrong since there is absolutely nothing about it in the offer. Someone was supposed to call me back. Nobody did for a week and when I called again, they claimed that they didn't receive my email Another cs rep tried to find a reason for the problem. Nobody called me back for a week. I called back, they were still looking.... I finally got the call today and they said that it's because I was not eligible as the previous card holder. I told them that it was checked in the previous 2 calls that I was. Again, they said someone was mistaken to give me this information and that I wasn't. I said I don't care because when used their card instead of another just because their rep told me all is ok. So, it's their mistake not mine. They are supposed to check the tapes and come back to me.

But now I know they are looking for an excuse.... because if they say that I was not eligible for the 10% (only for new clients) I shouldn't be eligible for this offer either:
"Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank retail credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank retail credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the first year annual fee waiver offer (the “Offer”)."
But somehow, I DON'T SEE the annual fee of 99$ charged to my account in July 2019.
CHECK IT OUT EVERYBODY! Did you pay this fee in JULY 2019 ?

If not, you were considered to eligible for the other offer of 10% too. Both of these offers were together. So the exclusion or acceptance applies to both the 10% cash back perk and the annual fee waiver.

They cannot just say that you are eligible for the annual fee waiver but not eligible for 10% offer if THE RULES are the SAME, RIGHT?
I'm so mad, I'm gonna fight it till the end and complain to the Better Business Bureau since we cannot use the Ombudsman anymore (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/scotia ... -1.4815023) . I honestly think we should sue them.... There must be more people cheated like that. I'm just waiting for their call back.
you are not alone.

I am still trying to pursue this, but each time i called them they gave me a different excuse ...

not sure if the reps have been specifically trained to avoid the issue ...
Oct 31, 2017
7 posts
10 upvotes
UPDATE: I guess they checked the recording because I finally got my bonus yesterday. So, don't give up, people! Fight until you get it!
May 25, 2019
127 posts
77 upvotes
Wait, we have to fight for the 200$??

I applied in May and I havent received anything yet, do you think I need to "fight"??
Feb 9, 2015
80 posts
32 upvotes
Welland, ON
Maria8534 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 4:00 pm
Wait, we have to fight for the 200$??

I applied in May and I havent received anything yet, do you think I need to "fight"??
I believe they told me to wait for 6 statements. I got mine finally around that time, but they came up a bit short on the 200. Suppose I'll have to "fight" after all, lol.
Jan 8, 2018
79 posts
31 upvotes
Does the $200 post to your visa account or to a savings/chequing account if you have one with scotia ?
Sep 13, 2010
155 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I received the card in April. For the past 6 months, there was no indication on my statements or online regarding the 10% cashback promotion. I've called several times to confirm and was advised I should see the $200 bonus in November. I just received a $180 credit on my account...Its unclear if its from the promotion or $180 just magically appeared in my account.
Feb 9, 2015
80 posts
32 upvotes
Welland, ON
Gchase2 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 4:40 pm
Does the $200 post to your visa account or to a savings/chequing account if you have one with scotia ?
I don't have savings/chequing with them, so it went back onto the card.
Feb 9, 2015
80 posts
32 upvotes
Welland, ON
Bruised_Lee wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 2:17 pm
I received the card in April. For the past 6 months, there was no indication on my statements or online regarding the 10% cashback promotion. I've called several times to confirm and was advised I should see the $200 bonus in November. I just received a $180 credit on my account...Its unclear if its from the promotion or $180 just magically appeared in my account.
If you spent the full $2,000, may need to call and hound them for the rest.
Nov 28, 2011
824 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
Running into this issue myself today -_-...

Put up $850 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of having this card, and never received the 10% cashback bonus.
Today I called (in anticipation of the November Cashback Payday), and was told that I had to spend $2,000 to be eligible for the 10% cashback.

Oh please Scotia... Terms said "first $2,000 in eligible purchases" for the first 3 months, or until you reach $200, whichever happens first.
3 months happened first, so it's safe to surmise that I am eligible for the 10%. Now pls, call me back.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2339 posts
980 upvotes
, ON
I charge $2900 onto the card in January and I have not received the whole 10%. I think they only paid some of it. When I am supposed to get it??
Apr 2, 2019
448 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Wolfdale wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 2:20 pm
Running into this issue myself today -_-...

Put up $850 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of having this card, and never received the 10% cashback bonus.
Today I called (in anticipation of the November Cashback Payday), and was told that I had to spend $2,000 to be eligible for the 10% cashback.

Oh please Scotia... Terms said "first $2,000 in eligible purchases" for the first 3 months, or until you reach $200, whichever happens first.
3 months happened first, so it's safe to surmise that I am eligible for the 10%. Now pls, call me back.
And people are nevertheless switching to scotia all-inlcusive packages despite them being appallingly stupid in cases like this.
Oct 31, 2017
7 posts
10 upvotes
They tried this excuse with me too at first. I proved them wrong.

When this didn't work, they tried to prove that I wasn't eligible because I had this card 2.5 years earlier and closed the account.
However, I called the bank when I applied for the card in February to ask about that and the rep said I was eligible.
In addition, the fact that the first year annual fee was waived on my account clearly showed that the bank considered me eligible because the rules for this fee to be waved and for the 10% offer were the same: "Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank retail credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank retail credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the first year annual fee waiver offer (the “Offer”).

Both of these offers were together. The rules were exactly the same for getting both offers. So the exclusion or acceptance applies to both the 10% cash back perk and the annual fee waiver.
It cost me a lot of time and calls back but finally they got tired of me, I guess and manually posted the bonus. So, don't give up! :)
Oct 31, 2017
7 posts
10 upvotes
I didn't receive the whole credit either. The reason: they don't look at the transaction date, they only look at the date when it was posted to your account.
Some of my transactions were done 2 days before the "deadline" (the 90 days from the time my account was opened with them) but they were posted to my account 1 day after this date, so they didn't count to my 10% offer.... how convenient!
Jan 2, 2019
3 posts
5 upvotes
I just heard about this 2 year previous credit card rule. This is outrageous. I got my card on January 2019, and I spent the $2000 literally on day 1. I've been waiting for the $200 cashback ever since. Only now I was told that I'm not getting it, because when I arrived in Canada, in August 2017, ScotiaBank offered me a student's scene card with a $300 limit, which I accepted, since it would be my first credit card here. I'm so furious I'm even considering closing down my entire chequings, savings, and credit card accounts with them. My credit history will probably take a hit, but that's acceptable to me right now, just so that I won't have to deal with them anymore.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

thesober