• Sep 2nd, 2017 11:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 29, 2011
963 posts
375 upvotes
The 6ix

Scratch resistant sunglasses

Are there such thing?

Like most of you I've burn through at least 1 pair every 2 years. I treat my glasses like my keys, they get thrown around with no care. Is there such thing as a 100% scratch resistant pair?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
Is a lot to ask, don't think any of them are made to be used that roughly.

Get a case and use it, like most people that care for their things and problem solved.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Oct 14, 2008
13 posts
1 upvote
I'm in the same boat, the last pair of sunglasses I bought got scratched after 2 weeks of use : the lense made light contact with a countertop and that was it.

I'm very light sensitive, so I wear sunglasses all the time, even on overcast days. I'm also a pedestrian and don't fancy having to carry a case (in my hands) everywhere I go... no fanny pack for me !

I could settle for something that is "somewhat" scratch resistant if it's cheap enough that I can replace it every year.
Oct 14, 2008
13 posts
1 upvote
Not sure if you're trolling hdom ;-). Good price, disposable, but do safety lab/work glasses fit in a Fashion & Apparel forum ?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4340 posts
593 upvotes
Maybe try William Painter ?

I preorder their Empire model off kickstarter. I need polarized lens, i can't go back to non polarized lens. At the moment I'm rocking some ray ban wayfarer polarized.

Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2717 posts
171 upvotes
I can't think of any sunglasses that are scratch resistant. I hate to carry cases but it's the only way to keep quality glasses safe .
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3595 posts
799 upvotes
Debtario
What is your budget? are you going with prescription lenses?

Glass lenses will have the highest scratch resistance and best optical clarity, though obviously up to a point and will shatter when dropped or struck hard enough. Any plastic lenses will scratch easy just from the fact it's a soft material, but the trade-off is you get shatter resistance and light weight. If you go the plastic route, Trivex is a better material compared to polycarbonate if you have the option.

If you get sunglasses with mirrored/colored coatings those will show scratches much more since all it takes is for the coating to scratch and begin chipping or peeling.

I'd recommend serengeti, american optical original pilots (same thing as Randolph Engineering), or costa del mar for durability/quality at a reasonable price (well, if you can find it - Canadian pricing is a rip off). Rayban also has plenty of models with glass lenses (aviators, clubmasters, etc), even though they are an evil luxottica brand they are good quality and fashonable, just don't pay the inflated MSRP. If you want glass, you have to watch out as some models come with plastic lenses in certain configurations
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
May be. ;) But that response to Serenith, said would go for cheap ones and replace every year.

Some of the safety glasses are relatively "stylish" and probably better made than the really cheap ones you find at the mall.

As for some of the suggestions above, I still don't think they could take the abuse that OP was talking about. ie. Mineral Glass is nothing against keys, that is why they are not even used on expensive watches, they use sapphire crystal.
serenith wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 9:01 pm
Not sure if you're trolling hdom ;-). Good price, disposable, but do safety lab/work glasses fit in a Fashion & Apparel forum ?
[OP]
Mar 29, 2011
963 posts
375 upvotes
The 6ix
The William painter glasses looks promising. Anything with a lifetime guarantee is worth looking into
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty DOES NOT COVER the following:
Does not cover lens scratching after 30 days
Hinges becoming loose over time
Lost Sunglasses

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wi ... ungla/faqs

Even for the frame too, they only cover against "Paint Chip", I am sure one could scratch that titanium frame easy, too.
vr_nguyen wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 5:19 pm
The William painter glasses looks promising. Anything with a lifetime guarantee is worth looking into
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3381 posts
4359 upvotes
Ontario
When you have prescription sunglasses, you can inquire about scratch resistance options.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!