• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2015 9:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 13, 2015
1 posts

scratched a car by accident need insights on the estimates

I made a scratch on the right back bumper of a toyota prius 2010. Very stupid how I caused this accident. I dont know how insurance works and all and since i do not want my parent to get involved I hope I can pay for the repair on my own.

Need some insights on the estimated cost for the repair.
picture is here

http://s12.postimg.org/5e4gmrzjx/IMAG0801.jpg

I would appreciate any advices. thank you
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15406 posts
5674 upvotes
I am not sure if you are planning not to tell your parents, however I would first make sure to talk to your parents. I would then talk to them about where they want to get the car repaired, and you can then pay the bill for the repair. I am sure you would not appreciate someone damaging your vehicle and then fixing it on their own, or without letting you decide where to fix it.

Some of that might just buff out, however I am unsure whether the scratch on the far left of the picture is too deep. If you are looking for a place to get an estimate, post your location and someone can provide you a recommendation. But no matter what you do, I would present your parents with the damage and let them choose where to fix it as they might prefer to take it to the dealer.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3420 posts
451 upvotes
Valleywood
2010 Prius! Get out the buffer. All the paint transfer can be removed, which might be 95% of the damage. Then you can decide if painting is required.
Dec 26, 2014
644 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fastlayne wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 12:09 am
2010 Prius! Get out the buffer. All the paint transfer can be removed, which might be 95% of the damage. Then you can decide if painting is required.
Agreed. Most of that is transfer. Get some compound from Canadian tire. Mcquires Ultimate compound works great.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20233 posts
136701 upvotes
GTA
I agree with not keeping it from your parents, especially since depending on where you take the car, the repair job may not end up looking that great. You also don't want to live with that guilt or have to worry about it coming out later...

Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
See if any of the scratches (gently!!) catch your nail. If so it needs to be painted.

If you plan on fixing it yourself, proper tools and setup could cost $250-$500+

*if* it is all paint transfer, a clay bar will remove it all. A good wash, clay, and time... $30

I don't recommend you tackle it with sandpaper, try to polish it, or repaint it yourself. You need a ton of practice and knowledge to do it right - don't use this car as your guinea pig..it will not end well.

If it needs to be painted, you could be looking at $1000-$2500 at a shop.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23960 posts
1299 upvotes
Markham, ON
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 8:52 am

If it needs to be painted, you could be looking at $1000-$2500 at a shop.
mind is blown on the estimate lol...doesnt cost that much to be repainted lol.

OP...location would also help...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 9:29 am
mind is blown on the estimate lol...doesnt cost that much to be repainted lol.

OP...location would also help...
The door and by the wheel well is scratched . The wheel area is a huge one piece that wraps around the whole side.

You typically have to pay to have it done right. OP needs to research the shop he goes to. He might find a shop that will do $300-$500 but id be worried about the quality of work. It could be fine... Or, 3 years from now the bad paint job shows.

OP also needs to tell the parents. If it is repainted it usually needs to wait to wax it. If his parents go to wax it too soon because they are not aware...uh oh.