Automotive

Scratched my windshield by mistake...what can i do?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2010 11:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
20 upvotes

Scratched my windshield by mistake...what can i do?

Hi,

Too tired this morning from working the nights shift, saw the ice build up on my windshield and used an old brush to scrape it off. Half of it was broken and i used the hard plastic part to scrape off the ice not the brush, that side had the broken end as well. When i drove away and the sun was bright i noticed 6-7 long scratches on my windshied, from the stupid broken side.

Anything i can do to alleviate them or get rid of them altogether, any product i can use? They shouldn't be too deep but they're long.

Thanks,
George
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
Go to Speedy Glass. I had a pile of slush kicked up onto the windshield of my van by a passing truck. There was a small stone in that slush that slid down the windshield and made a scratch from top to bottom. It drove me crazy as it caught the sunlight all the time.

I went to Speedy and they called my insurance co for me - it is covered by your comprehensive insurance and they would rather pay the $50 to have the auto glass guy buff out the scratch than replace the windshield - so they usually waive the fee and it costs you NOTHING!

The Speedy guy used a buffer with a very very mild abrasive (jeweller's rouge?) and the scratch was buffed out in 5 minutes.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
20 upvotes
Yeah but my comp has a deductible, so i'd end up paying anyways. Is there any way i can do something about it myself?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
xaltair wrote: Yeah but my comp has a deductible, so i'd end up paying anyways. Is there any way i can do something about it myself?
You misunderstood - a new windshield is several hundred dollars - even if you hypothetically paid the deductable - the insurance company would be out the difference in cost between the deductable and the replacement cost of the windshield including taxes.

Most insurance companies are happier to pay the $75 to get your windshield fixed then go thru the hassle and extra expense of paying for a new windshield. It works out cheaper for them.

Call your insurer and ask if they pay for an autoglass place to fix a scratched windshield - make sure you explain the scratch(es) are in the driver's field of vision.

Or - if you don't want to call your insurer - most auto glass places will buff out the scratches for $50-$75.

Keep in mind you can really bugger up your windshield if you try it yourself and make it worse.

When the guy buffed my windshield he used an air powered buffer with a cotton wheel and used some kind of reddish abrasive powder.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
20 upvotes
I'll call the auto glass place then, if it's less than $75 i'll pay for it so it can look like new again, it's pretty much my fault anyways.
May 20, 2008
5 posts
Mississauga
plymouthhater wrote: Go to Speedy Glass. I had a pile of slush kicked up onto the windshield of my van by a passing truck. There was a small stone in that slush that slid down the windshield and made a scratch from top to bottom. It drove me crazy as it caught the sunlight all the time.

I went to Speedy and they called my insurance co for me - it is covered by your comprehensive insurance and they would rather pay the $50 to have the auto glass guy buff out the scratch than replace the windshield - so they usually waive the fee and it costs you NOTHING!

The Speedy guy used a buffer with a very very mild abrasive (jeweller's rouge?) and the scratch was buffed out in 5 minutes.

Which location did you go to?

I had the same thing happen to my new car 2 weeks ago :mad: , and I would hate to have to change the entire windshield for 2 scratches. I called Speedy Glass and Apple Auto Glass and was told that they won't buff out scratches, they just replace the entire windshield.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)