Scratched side mirror of another car, need advice *resolved*

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 11:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes

Scratched side mirror of another car, need advice *resolved*

Gf was driving today and we parked beside a recent year model Mercedes. The parking space was on a slope, and when gf opened the door, she didn't hold it, so the door continued to swing in the direction of the slope which ended up causing a couple of scratches/scuffs on the folded passenger side mirror of the Mercedes. We left a note on the windshield of the other car and met up with them after they came back. The owner/driver offered us the option of settling privately. She said she would get a repair quote from the dealership and get back to us in about a week. However, she "warned" that most likely the entire mirror would need to be replaced. Just wanted to get RFD's opinion on whether replacing the entire mirror would be reasonable. The damages were definitely cosmetic and not functional and the couple scratches were probably 1cm to 1.5cm in length.

Do you guys think the dealership would go along with it if she said she wants to replace the entire mirror rather than just repair the scratches? If yes, then what do you guys think a ballpark figure would be? Assuming we opt to go through insurance, would the insurance companies even go along with replacing the entire mirror in this case? Thanks for all advice.

EDIT: added a pic (sorry didn't take a better pic)

EDIT 2: Also, while I hope that the owner of the MB is an honest person and would reciprocate, but you never know. How can we protect ourselves from being liable for additional damages that were not part of the accident? What if the owner decides to claim that we damaged other parts of the car, not just the side mirror housing? Disappointed Face

EDIT 3: The MB owner got back with the quote from an authorized MB repair centre and they are just going to buff out scratch on the housing and replace the turn signal lamp. Part and materials is $130 and labor is $320, for a total of ~$450. I think we got pretty lucky, so I'm really happy about it. Thanks to all who replied.
Images
  • InkedWZKJ8443_LI.jpg
Last edited by IceCreamPanda on Aug 27th, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Picture?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1580 upvotes
Etobicoke
It doesn't matter if you think it is reasonable. The other car's owner will get a quote from a dealer on the cost to repair. It may or may not need replacing. It is not up to you.

You have 2 choices:
1. pay what the other person says it will cost ( quote from dealer)
2. go thru insurance. the insurance company will make a decision on what need to be replaced/repaired.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Kudos for leaving a note.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes
xxxray wrote: It doesn't matter if you think it is reasonable. The other car's owner will get a quote from a dealer on the cost to repair. It may or may not need replacing. It is not up to you.

You have 2 choices:
1. pay what the other person says it will cost ( quote from dealer)
2. go thru insurance. the insurance company will make a decision on what need to be replaced/repaired.
We're fulling willing to pay the necessary costs of restoring the mirror to factory condition through dealership. What I'm worried about is that the owner of the other car will simply tell the dealership to replace the mirror which may or may not be necessary. The dealership could give two very different answers to "how much does it cost to repair this mirror?" vs "how much does it cost to replace this mirror?".

If it's necessary then so be it, but if it isn't then we want to know and any possible recourse.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6961 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bobohobo2kx wrote: We're fulling willing to pay the necessary costs of restoring the mirror to factory condition through dealership. What I'm worried about is that the owner of the other car will simply tell the dealership to replace the mirror which may or may not be necessary. The dealership could give two very different answers to "how much does it cost to repair this mirror?" vs "how much does it cost to replace this mirror?".

If it's necessary then so be it, but if it isn't then we want to know and any possible recourse.
Your only recourse is to go through insurance or pay out of your pocket for the quote she provides.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
well the ball is not in your hands now. right now you really have to wait for the quote. then decide if you want to do it privately or go through insurance. either way best of luck. nice of you for leaving a note, right thing to do.
bobohobo2kx wrote: We're fulling willing to pay the necessary costs of restoring the mirror to factory condition through dealership. What I'm worried about is that the owner of the other car will simply tell the dealership to replace the mirror which may or may not be necessary. The dealership could give two very different answers to "how much does it cost to repair this mirror?" vs "how much does it cost to replace this mirror?".

Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1668 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto
Upvoted you for leaving a note!
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11102 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
It’s a Mercedes, get ready to bend over :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
Being that you did the right thing, I think it's a mutual understanding that they aren't going to bend you over. But there are people (on either side) that are jerks.
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
Hey I can't offer much advice. But I just want to say you and your girlfriend are wonderful people to leave a note after the incident. My car has at least 10 scratches, 3 sizable dents, and 2 crushed bumpers and not even once was any of those offender decent enough to leave anything (other than the damage LOL).

However since you are at fault, what is "necessary" is up to the other person. And unfortunately this time the other person may or may not be too generous.

If I was the owner of the other car, and the damage was truly a small scratch, I would just laugh it off, thank you for leaving the note, and just leave it as is. I may ask for a free lunch/dinner at most but that will be it (who knows we might even become friends because we are both nice people). The scratch will be a story to tell others that there are still good in humanity. Well in reality I don't even own a Benz, so...
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
You have a right to get full disclosure. If you get a quote for replacement, follow-up with the body shop yourself or ask for something in writing regarding why it cannot be repaired.

Also, make sure that the quote is from a body shop, not the parts department of the dealership as that will tell you something right there.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I brighten up the picture a bit so the scratch can be seen. Kudos to you OP for leaving a note!
If the scratch is not to deep, maybe a detailing shop could buff it out.

Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
I hope the owner forgets about it.
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2196 posts
289 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Hey I can't offer much advice. But I just want to say you and your girlfriend are wonderful people to leave a note after the incident. My car has at least 10 scratches, 3 sizable dents, and 2 crushed bumpers and not even once was any of those offender decent enough to leave anything (other than the damage LOL).

However since you are at fault, what is "necessary" is up to the other person. And unfortunately this time the other person may or may not be too generous.

If I was the owner of the other car, and the damage was truly a small scratch, I would just laugh it off, thank you for leaving the note, and just leave it as is. I may ask for a free lunch/dinner at most but that will be it (who knows we might even become friends because we are both nice people). The scratch will be a story to tell others that there are still good in humanity. Well in reality I don't even own a Benz, so...
Let me scratch your car we are good friendsSlightly Smiling Face
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That's awesome OP that you left a note. Let's hope the owner of the MB is reasonable and not try to take advantage of the situation since you could have easily just not said anything.

If I was the MB owner I would be annoyed with someone scratching my car, but I would value the honesty over monetary compensation over such minor damage.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1564 posts
1030 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies. So I did some digging and it seems like the original MB exterior mirror housing for the C and E class (2 pieces) are $375.95. Assuming a housing replacement, part plus labor...I'm hoping the total will be under $750. I have no idea how expensive MB dealership labour is.

https://www.mercedes-benz-shop.ca/en/Ex ... 2138111000

Also, while I hope that the owner of the MB is an honest person and would reciprocate, but you never know. How can we protect ourselves from being liable for additional damages that were not part of the accident? What if the owner decides to claim that we damaged other parts of the car, not just the side mirror housing? Disappointed Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Worst case, and unfortunately most likely, the Mercedes owner will go to the Mercedes dealer, who will advise them that the scratch cannot be perfectly removed, and will quote them something like $1000 to replace the entire mirror assembly because that's the only part kit they carry. What can you expect from any new car dealer's parts and service department? They always charge 3x what the part is worth and something like $140/hr for labour. As the wronged party, it's Mercedes owner's choice within reason, and nobody will fault them for having the dealer do it.

Best case: I've dealt with several such scratched mirrors over the years, and I've found that often minor scratches in a plastic mirror housing like it appears to be in your photo can be buffed out almost perfectly using a brillo pad. I've done that and told the party who scratched it "don't worry about it".

So it probably just comes down to personality. Is the Mercedes owner an obsessive person who will be kept up at night thinking that their perfect vehicle has been marred by a tiny remaining imperfection that they can only see when they look hard for it in exactly the right light? Or are they someone who has better things to worry about in life than the many tiny scratches and dings that a car accumulates in normal use?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Have the gf pay for the costs. It's her fault. Also if it was my Mercedes, I'll have your gf pay for my time and effort to fix it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)