None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1594 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto

Screen protector installer in Scarborough or surrounding

Anyone know of a good screen protector installer in Scarborough. I have messed up a few installs myself because I get too anxious.

I know of the ABC place at Pacific mall but trying to avoid that mall if at all possible. It's for a Samsung S9+.

Thanks in advance.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5062 posts
1450 upvotes
Alberta
Almost impossible to screw up a tempered glass screen protector. It usually takes me less than a minute to install one on my S8.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11042 posts
1004 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, with tempered glass, because it is stiff, you don't really have to worry about air bubbles, so it's very easy

- practice lining it up
- peel off protective skin, then start with one side and apply lightly
- if not perfectly aligned, lift it up a bit until you can align it perfectly
- repeat as necessary
- once aligned 100%, apply pressure, starting from the middle, to "permanently" bond it to the screen
- if there are any big air bubbles, you can lift it from the edge closest to the bubble, then redo it
- if it's just small bubbles, they go away after a day or two
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16913 posts
5450 upvotes
Toronto
Watch a few YouTube videos. Practice. Always buy a spare screen protector. My preferred method is to start with the stock plastic in place on the screen. I line up the protector over top. Use two short pieces of tape to locate the protector. A third piece of tape is used to flip the protector over. This avoids finger print smudges. Once the protector is all set up, I carefully remove the plastic on the screen and the protector and inspect the screen for dust. If there's any dust, I use scotch tape to remove it. I flip the protector over the screen and ensure alignment before dropping it on the screen. I got this technique off of studying YouTube videos and learning from past installations.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12629 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
The key to any screen protector is prep.

Make sure the screen is clean and dust free. Most decent glass protectors come with a cleaning wipe, microfibre cloth, sticker to capture all the dust and tabs to put on the screen protector to help you line it up. As others have said, glass is pretty easy. and the stores like staples/best buy will charge you $40 for something you can get from Amazon for $10 for 2. :)
Jun 21, 2009
280 posts
47 upvotes
Markham
Pacific mall... $10 installed
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16913 posts
5450 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:32 pm
The key to any screen protector is prep.

Make sure the screen is clean and dust free. Most decent glass protectors come with a cleaning wipe, microfibre cloth, sticker to capture all the dust and tabs to put on the screen protector to help you line it up. As others have said, glass is pretty easy. and the stores like staples/best buy will charge you $40 for something you can get from Amazon for $10 for 2. :)
Personally I find scotch tape to be the best dust free wipe. Those little dry towels are abrasive. Even the wet one is dry.
Fido $0/3GB
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12629 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:53 pm
Personally I find scotch tape to be the best dust free wipe. Those little dry towels are abrasive. Even the wet one is dry.
Depends on what you get. The screen protector I put on the other day came with a microfibre cloth and a very wet alcohol wipe
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16913 posts
5450 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:43 am
Depends on what you get. The screen protector I put on the other day came with a microfibre cloth and a very wet alcohol wipe
I keep the factory plastic on the screen until the glass protector is about to go on. I don't smudge the screen and so alcohol wipes aren't necessary. Dust pick up is best done with Scotch tape. In reapplication, I do use alcohol remove any smudges and build up on the screen. I have found even gentle wiping can sometimes lead to micro scratches.
Fido $0/3GB
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11042 posts
1004 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If the glass protector gets any kind of marks from an alcohol wipe, then what you bought is a PoS.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5150 posts
982 upvotes
Scarborough
Also it helps to do it in a washroom where you (or someone else) has just taken a hot shower - The steam will make all the dust particles settle so there should be no dust flying around (hopefully)

Also wash your hands before (with soap) just in case your hands are oily