Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Scrivener 2 Word Processor for writers US$17.55

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2015 8:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

Scrivener 2 Word Processor for writers US$17.55

Deal Link:
Price:
$19.50
Savings:
56% off
Expiry:
October 6, 2015
If you've ever done any extensive writing (term papers, books, articles, manuals, screenplays etc.), or you'd like to, it won't come as any surprise that a standard word processor like Microsoft Word isn't ideally designed for the task. Scrivener is a writing tool that tries to improve on a standard word processor to make the writing process more convenient. It's sort of a combination of an idea organizer, text editor, and document layout tool. It was originally developed for Mac (naturally), but there's a Windows version available now too (not quite as refined, naturally).

I've never used it before, but Engadget recommended it and mentioned that it's on sale (http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/stac ... rivener-2/, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm still working my way through the tutorial, but I'm impressed, and I really think it will he helpful for some types of writing. Well worth it for US$19.50, but apparently there's also an additional 10% off available (see below).

Just be careful to select the right version (PC vs. Mac) when ordering, because the registration codes are different and LiteratureAndLatte won't swap them for you.

Update: Sale extended to Oct. 6.
22 replies
Nov 7, 2011
865 posts
919 upvotes
British Columbia
I'm thankful for the post, but is this a deal or the regular price?
Sep 30, 2008
852 posts
552 upvotes
Edmonton
JamesA1 wrote: I've never used it before, but Engadget recommended it and mentioned that it's on sale (http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/stac ... rivener-2/, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm still working my way through the tutorial, but I'm impressed, and I really think it will he helpful for some types of writing. Well worth it for $19.50.
I think this is in USD? Which would make it $26.00 CDN - still a good deal though.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
is this site legit?

I only ask because I remember this site being slammed for bad 3rd-party codes a while back. hopefully this is direct from the manufacturer and not some kid with a code generator.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
StackSocial is a growing e-commerce company that started in 2012 and aggressively creates deals in partnership with many companies. The Engadget article says "Engadget is teaming up with StackCommerce to bring you deals", so presumably they think it's ok. In any case the registration code they issue certainly works.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
thanks, and I just bought a copy for $17.55 (after 10% off coupon) and it works perfectly. it booted me over to the latte site so it seems totally legit.
Mar 3, 2017
495 posts
265 upvotes
Woodstock
JackWhyte wrote: thanks, and I just bought a copy for $17.55 (after 10% off coupon) and it works perfectly. it booted me over to the latte site so it seems totally legit.
Coupon code?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
Isn't Open Office free?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
the coupon is for first-time buyers and comes up in a pop-up window to register your email for updates.

just click around the site a bit and it should pop up.
Sep 16, 2010
73 posts
69 upvotes
London
gordholio wrote: Isn't Open Office free?
Yes, Open Office is free but Scrivener is more about organization then actual word processor. It's got tons of tools to help keep all your references in check, make drafts and revisions, link to articles etc. I'm a huge fan of Open Office, but Scrivener is worth it if your more interested in writing.
Mar 14, 2009
614 posts
984 upvotes
Halifax
I've been a happy Scrivener user for years, highly recommended. If you have large documents (over maybe 100 pages?) Word gets unstable. I imagine Open Office does, too. And the table of contents features, etc. just aren't designed for these uses.

Scrivener is free for Linux/Unix in a (for me at least) pretty stable beta version. It is the same codebase as the Windows version. There's even a .deb. See their site/forum for details.
Jan 8, 2008
489 posts
172 upvotes
Well, I have not had any instability with long (i.e. book length) Word documents, but I agree with you on Scrivener. Thanks for the tip about the Linux version.
Mar 10, 2008
470 posts
180 upvotes
Quebec City
I have been using Scrivener for a few years now and I can vouch for it. I wouldn't write scientific papers or even technical reports with anything else now.
Dec 3, 2012
563 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Arky33 wrote: I have been using Scrivener for a few years now and I can vouch for it. I wouldn't write scientific papers or even technical reports with anything else now.
For scientific papers I still think LaTeX is the champ, but this seems like an interesting alternative.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
I can vouch for Scrivener as well. I use it in combination with Scapple (an open-ended, visual mind-mapping tool from the same company.) Whether writing a thesis, dissertation, article, screenplay or script, the program shines in its manipulation of idea gestation, brainstorming, chunks + drafts, and all the steps in-between that first word and the last. It understands that most serious, hardcore writing is rarely ever done in a linear fashion in one single sitting. It understands that the magic is in the management of permutations, bringing order to chaos. The export function is quite handy too.

MS Word or Open Office is fine in a pinch for your garden variety essay or term paper, but not as powerful and streamlined for larger page volumes and certain types of writing. It's like using only Windows Notepad or OS X TextEdit to create a complete, fully functional, corporate, e-commerce website for a Fortune 500 company. A gifted individual probably could, but - with so many viable, pro-focused options out there - why?

$17.55 is a good deal; too bad about the CDN exchange rate.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
PitchyDawg wrote: $17.55 is a good deal; too bad about the CDN exchange rate.
that's why I always carry a $20-$30 usd paypal balance, as you never know what the crazy exchange rate is going to be one day to the next.
Dec 24, 2006
496 posts
254 upvotes
PitchyDawg wrote: I can vouch for Scrivener as well. I use it in combination with Scapple (an open-ended, visual mind-mapping tool from the same company.) Whether writing a thesis, dissertation, article, screenplay or script, the program shines in its manipulation of idea gestation, brainstorming, chunks + drafts, and all the steps in-between that first word and the last. It understands that most serious, hardcore writing is rarely ever done in a linear fashion in one single sitting. It understands that the magic is in the management of permutations, bringing order to chaos. The export function is quite handy too.

MS Word or Open Office is fine in a pinch for your garden variety essay or term paper, but not as powerful and streamlined for larger page volumes and certain types of writing. It's like using only Windows Notepad or OS X TextEdit to create a complete, fully functional, corporate, e-commerce website for a Fortune 500 company. A gifted individual probably could, but - with so many viable, pro-focused options out there - why?

$17.55 is a good deal; too bad about the CDN exchange rate.
Can anyone comment on usefulness with business reports where there can be a huge amount of crossover with Excel/Powerpoint charts and tables?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)