Students

SDE Job Offer for Amazon Seattle - don't meet TN Visa Requirements - Transfer UW credits towards any diploma?

[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2013
22 posts
Toronto
MapleColouredRaptor wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 10:10 am
1. Yes, I agree. You shouldn't have any prob there
2. You'll be talking to the same kind of immigration officer who will direct you to a secondary area where another officer will inspect your documentation for TN. As for foreknowledge, no amazon would not be submitting anything in advance. However, considering it is US immigration, they will have all the information about your prior visits to the US
3. You have everything you need. I would keep the UW transcript separate from the rest of the application package and only produce it if the need arises
Good luck!
Got it. Thanks again!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2004
4408 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouver
I think I could be missing something here, but... I couldn't help but notice that you say in your thread you are being hired as a Software Development Engineer but you are saying that you intend to apply for a TN Visa as a Computer Systems Analyst. Is this normal? The reason I ask, is there is a specific TN Visa for "Software Developer". The requirements for that TN Visa, unfortunately, as more stringent and do not allow for a diploma - you must have a degree.

Here is a case I came across: https://www.tnvisabulletin.com/nafta-tn ... ramme.html

Disclaimer: Not my area of expertise, could totally be wrong, just trying to be helpful. Good luck!
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2013
22 posts
Toronto
adamtheman wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 2:29 am
I think I could be missing something here, but... I couldn't help but notice that you say in your thread you are being hired as a Software Development Engineer but you are saying that you intend to apply for a TN Visa as a Computer Systems Analyst. Is this normal? The reason I ask, is there is a specific TN Visa for "Software Developer". The requirements for that TN Visa, unfortunately, as more stringent and do not allow for a diploma - you must have a degree.

Here is a case I came across: https://www.tnvisabulletin.com/nafta-tn ... ramme.html

Disclaimer: Not my area of expertise, could totally be wrong, just trying to be helpful. Good luck!
Hello and thank you for your interest.

The candidate categories are TN Engineering and TN Computer Systems Analyst ("CSA" from hereon out); there's no software developer category. The lawyer for Amazon on my case informed me Engineering is the default category they use and because of my situation, she had to get special approval to petition me under CSA, but only pending my attainment of an appropriate credential. For this category, the requirement is either a bachelor's degree or a 2 year diploma + 3+ years of professional experience. I have the professional experience down but am short a diploma. This is a riskier category, but I don't know if Engineering would've been available for me even if I had completed my Uwaterloo Computer Science degree 7+ years ago because it's not an engineering discipline.

I've seen the link you provided and that is in line with a common experience, namely someone gets rejected under CSA because of the mention of "programming" (stupid, I know). This is why Amazon's default approach is to use a law firm to write a petition letter, since it carries some weight, instead of leaving it to the applicant + blind luck.

****

To anyone still reading, Penn Foster came back to me telling me only 8 of my Waterloo courses would transfer over because the technical ones were from over 7 years ago, so I'd have to take "Advanced Windows Applications", "Intro to Java Programming", etc... Pretty ludicrous. My only surefire option to earn a diploma within 5 months, it would seem, would be the TRU General Studies program, which is way too risky because of the lack of mention of IT/Software/Tech etc... on the diploma. I've therefore shifted my focus to Canadian Amazon jobs.

That said, I received a lead for a Vancouver role and am working that process now.
Newbie
Sep 17, 2017
1 posts
gbershad!

Did you submit all of previous experience including manager's contact?
What if I don't want them to contact these managers? I have another reference....

I am in process of TN visa now.

Thank you.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2013
22 posts
Toronto
sign0001 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 5:50 pm
gbershad!

Did you submit all of previous experience including manager's contact?
What if I don't want them to contact these managers? I have another reference....

I am in process of TN visa now.

Thank you.
Submit where? The questionnaire the law firm has you fill out? I don't think it matters so much there as it does for employment background checks, if the company decides to dig that deeply. For the questionnaire that some law firm a company might use to create TN Visa petitions, I don't know how it's used, but as MapleColouredRaptor mentioned in Post #19, the law firm's "sole job is to make a case for you and by that fulfill their obligation to {company name}".
Member
Sep 18, 2008
469 posts
74 upvotes
Sorry to hear about your situation. My buddy just got the same job in Seattle and from what he tells me it sounds like an awesome opportunity with an amazing salary, bonus and incentive!! Hopefully, once you finish your studies you can reapply.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 18, 2003
1071 posts
70 upvotes
Hi team, was approached by Amazon regarding application engineer role in Seattle and looking to get some feedback whether to request H1 or TN (CSA) route. I had SSN from 20 years ago from f1 days wondering if I can bring it into the picture to continue building upon my credit from where I left off? Do they have good middle school for kids in Seattle (Amazon campus area).
Newbie
Sep 28, 2017
3 posts
@ gbershad, How did you convince the lawyer to consider petitioning you under the CSA category given that you are applying for an SDE role? I am sorry to bring this up but I am in a similar position as you except I have a post secondary certificate and work experience.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2013
22 posts
Toronto
randomly217 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 4:09 pm
@ gbershad, How did you convince the lawyer to consider petitioning you under the CSA category given that you are applying for an SDE role? I am sorry to bring this up but I am in a similar position as you except I have a post secondary certificate and work experience.
Sorry for the late response; I didn't get an email notification for some reason.

I didn't convince the lawyer. It was something the law firm + Amazon's legal side decided for me given my situation. Or more accurately, the law firm had to receive permission from Amazon legal to do it this way for me.

As for your case, the important thing is the certificate be for a strictly 2 year program (+ 3 years relevant work experience). In case you haven't already done so, I suggest you read through some of the posts of the earlier commenters. There's some really useful information on the nuances that you may not otherwise get from a strictly legal opinion.
Newbie
Sep 28, 2017
3 posts
@gbershad Thank you so much for your response. Does the certificate have to be for exactly 2 years or can it be for more than 2years?
Newbie
Sep 28, 2017
3 posts
@gbershad... I know you mentioned you got a lead position in Vancouver. Did they adjust your compensation significantly (i.e. give you the Same US amount in Canadian and no RSU?) or did they convert the compensation to Canadian (i.e. 1USD - 1.25CAD) and you still get your RSU?
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2013
22 posts
Toronto
randomly217 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:26 pm
@gbershad... I know you mentioned you got a lead position in Vancouver. Did they adjust your compensation significantly (i.e. give you the Same US amount in Canadian and no RSU?) or did they convert the compensation to Canadian (i.e. 1USD - 1.25CAD) and you still get your RSU?
There was a considerable drop, but for me it was still pretty high. The new team basically knew nothing of the previous offer. They had the interview notes from the internal database, but you're dealing with a new set of people with their own priorities, so you can't assume any continuity.

Top