• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2007 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 20, 2005
676 posts
77 upvotes

SDM Big ticket items to use up Shoppers Points

So if any of you are like me, and I am sure there is a lot of you, we all have billions of Optimum points just begging to get used. A few quick impulse buys on some electronics would solve that pretty quickly. . .

I am wondering thou what people have been buying that is actually a good deal and would recommend to other people. Cameras? DVD players? other non-electronic stuff? What big ticket items have people been buying to efficiently reduce their Optimum points?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I got a an xbox 360 for redeeming 200k points.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Dec 29, 2006
415 posts
6 upvotes
Take your gf (if applicable). She will no doubt clean out there cosmetics. I took mine a couple times and she's come out very happy.

Awesome way to gain points with your gf.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
cruzer24 wrote: Take your gf (if applicable). She will no doubt clean out there cosmetics. I took mine a couple times and she's come out very happy.

Awesome way to gain points with your gf.
Based on your experience, what how many GF points do you get for your Optimum points.

And them of course what "high ticket" items do you exchange your GF points for? :D :D :D
May 10, 2006
352 posts
4 upvotes
My girlfriend used her points to get a Sony digital camera. I used mine to buy a tonne of rechargeable batteries (didn't need any of the electronics that SDM sells.)
Jul 11, 2004
933 posts
163 upvotes
Have you tried to use it on Life Experiences cards?
If so which one did you get?

A while ago, I was able to exchange points for CNE tickets.

JWL wrote: Braun 360 electric razor.

Braun Oral B electric toothbrush.

There are also the Life Experiences cards, but YMMV on whether you can use Optimum points to buy them.
Mar 29, 2007
340 posts
241 upvotes
Calgary
What's the quickest way to earn SDM points?
Apr 21, 2006
367 posts
Winnipeg, Manitoba
pegasus81 wrote: What's the quickest way to earn SDM points?

Quite possibly apply for a Shoppers Optimum visa card and using it alongside your shoppers points card.
I am wondering thou what people have been buying that is actually a good deal and would recommend to other people.

Wait till Christmas if you can. Some amazing redemption deals ie XBOX 360 for xxx points, several promotions where you can get to the next point level bracket for free, etc.

BTW I work at SDM :P
Heatware under Rocko
Currently 23-0
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
pegasus81 wrote: What's the quickest way to earn SDM points?
20x points days. I don't know how you would ever accumulate many points without 20x points days. Maybe if you had an expensive prescription and lived in a province where you can get points on prescriptions (can't in ON).

There is one coming up. See Hot Deals.
Dec 29, 2006
415 posts
6 upvotes
JWL wrote: Based on your experience, what how many GF points do you get for your Optimum points.

And them of course what "high ticket" items do you exchange your GF points for? :D :D :D
LOL...yeah the converstion of Optimum points to GF points is actually pretty good.

I've redeemed my points many times. :cheesygri :D :cheesygri :D
Oct 20, 2005
676 posts
77 upvotes
CSR wrote: I got a an xbox 360 for redeeming 200k points.
Nice, buying the 360 is what earned the majority of my points(40X) :) Sure wish they had games and accessories for it. That'd eat up some points quick.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
buy their leader items. I.e. eggs at 2x12 for $3 or milk at $1 per litre.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2003
1021 posts
785 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
[QUOTE]Nice, buying the 360 is what earned the majority of my points(40X) Sure wish they had games and accessories for it. That'd eat up some points quick.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far![/QUOTE]

If you're in the GTA they do have Xbox360, PS3, Wii games and accessories at the Don Mills and Lawrence SDM. If not, its looks likely that SDM will start carrying more video games at other locations in the future. Used my points to pick up a Wii console.
Oct 20, 2005
676 posts
77 upvotes
Primetyme wrote: If you're in the GTA they do have Xbox360, PS3, Wii games and accessories at the Don Mills and Lawrence SDM. If not, its looks likely that SDM will start carrying more video games at other locations in the future. Used my points to pick up a Wii console.
Sweet, I will have to keep that in mind next time I am in the area. Thanks for he heads up. Hopefully those items will spread to all the other stores soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7743 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
windough wrote: Have you tried to use it on Life Experiences cards?
If so which one did you get?

A while ago, I was able to exchange points for CNE tickets.
You can't exchange points for Life Experiences cards or GC's any longer :( This changed about six month ago. Sad really, last year I bought dh's Molson Indy Tickets using them > :( Would have been nice again this year!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
Shoppers RARELY has redemptions on large items. More recently, the XBOX 360 around Christmas time and this was really the first of it's kind.
Every week however, you'll find items in the store that have "Pay with Points" options, that are absolutely free (no tax) and many times are excellent deals (even sale items). Keep your eyes on those.
(If you head to the SDM Online Flyer (on their website) you can sort items by Pay-With-Points, this way you can see everything available that week)

If you're willing to wait, I'd use the points on gifts on $200 redemptions, especially because those are not like "Secret Sales" that SDM has and sometimes limits (Only use this coupon once kinda thing) what you spend and you can truly go nuts.

If you're like my family and I, we use it on stuff as we need it. DVD Player, Cameras, Memory Card, frames and albums, pictures, food and supplies for the home. Use the $150 or just use the $75 mark, really you're only losing 5,000 Points and when you have A TON, that's not a huge deal.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
I just mailed the Ticket Opts people and I'm told that SDM Customers CAN redeem their points towards tickets this year.
In-Store only, starts May 16th.

So there you go ... you can now go to the CNE, the Zoo, Casa Loma, Hockey Hall of Fame, etc ...

But mind you, this is what I'm hearing from the Ticket Opts people so, we'll see what happens at SDM but ... I specifically JUST ASKED this question and that's what I'm told ;) :D
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3191 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
SDM has wiis now? Hmmmm :)

Off topic, they refused to give me (and mr chococrazy) my referral points from the last chain. I was too peeved to post about this before. Not sure if I'm going to fight them on it. I'll probably post a poll about it in this forum soon.