Personal Finance

Locked: SDM Optimum Program ending Dec 31, 2016??

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2016 10:50 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham

SDM Optimum Program ending Dec 31, 2016??

Was just looking online if inactivity will cause your Optimum points to expire...and i find this:

I was surprised as I did not hear anything about it till now. So yes, you stop getting points starting Dec 31st, the program ends, and you have to use them all by March 31st, 2017 else you will lose them forever. Guess they are forcing us to use PC Points at SDM?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2787 upvotes
No. The date keeps on rolling forward indefinitely. This has been happening for years.
Aug 3, 2013
488 posts
289 upvotes
Durham
It makes sense for SDM optimum to be fully assimilated to PC points.
Feb 9, 2014
62 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I hope they don't terminate the optimum program, as much as it would make sense for it to be rolled into PC points, i hate the pcpoints program that only gives you points for certain items not for all your purchases like SDM does.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
shoppers-optimum-program-expiring-2016-a-1383894/

People have been talking about this for almost 3 years. Some are convinced it will roll forward again. Some think with Loblaw ownership, they will merge the programs this time.

They've already begun experimenting with points transfer between Optimum and PC (targeted offers), and overall I'd say Optimum offers have been less generous over the last little while (fewer Spend Your Points bonus events).
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
That would be a mistake of epic proportions. If anything they should roll the PC points program into optimum (1 of the successful loyalty programs in Canadian history), if they have to discontinue 1 of them.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
ilove wrote: No.
Do you know that for sure or just speculating?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Do a search. Topic has come up multiples times in multiple threads.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1825 posts
625 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote: Do you know that for sure or just speculating?
We've survived the last few December 31 and they've extended the date. They are speculating based on past experiences.

No one knows for sure except for SDM HQ.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Peroxide wrote: No one knows for sure except for SDM HQ.
Even SDM HQ don't know. They are now owned by Loblaws and they will make the decision.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2950 posts
1611 upvotes
As much as I appreciate the SDM optimum program for quickly earning many points for low $ spent, redeeming has been difficult to optimize because of the non-linear nature of redemptions. My strategy has been to redeem on Seniors Day for cosmetics for my main squeeze, to minimize the sales tax on items that don't go on sale. Otherwise, how to efficiently spend $85 to $200 at SDM?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Surprised how many people are confident the program will be extended given the Lobkaws takeover and the soft launch of point conversions to PC Points
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
SDM is one of Canada's top loyalty programs and it drives traffic like mad. Why oh why would they cancel it, or merge it with PC plus? It's beautiful and functional as it is.

Each program (SDM and PC) is tailored to the unique selection of products available at each chain. SDM is tailored to lure many different demographics of shoppers, from luxury makeup fans to baby carers to grocery shoppers. PC OTOH is about grocery and department store goods. What do these programs have in common and why oh why would they merge?
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I messaged SDM via Facebook today and they got back to me very quickly to say they have no plans to discontinue the Optimum Program anytime soon.
I've redeemed my points for goodies and if you plan it right, it's a great program.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
dutchca wrote: Do a search. Topic has come up multiples times in multiple threads.
^This.

(considering this OP always closes down other threads for the same reason) LOL.

On topic... Just spend the points by December and all good.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
dutchca wrote: Do a search. Topic has come up multiples times in multiple threads.
I didn't search which is my bad, but I am sure that I haven't seen this thread in pf.

Anyway, since it is confirmed that Optimum will not be ending, I will close this thread.