Shopping Discussion

SDM - return policy on nintendo products??

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2008 12:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2855 posts
11 upvotes

SDM - return policy on nintendo products??

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious to know if there is an exclusion policy over the return of Nintendo Products at SDM. As I was told today by a sales rep / assistant manager (or could have been the manager), that there are no "returns or exchanges" on Nintendo Products when I went in to do a return on a Nintendo DS game.

Even though during the purchase of the item I was uninformed on such an existing practice, even though I had inquired about it during the transaction.

As well, no where in-store, or on their website "returns & exchanges" policy does it state that nintendo items are disallowed for returns and exchange.

The item is brand new still, with packaging and receipt.

I do realize that SDM has the right to do any exclusions on any item for whatever reason, as stated in their exchange policies on their website. But to do so before informing customers, nor posting any indication of a "no-return" process on such items is slimy and unethical.

I have inquired with their customer relations and waiting on a reply.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
10 replies
Banned
Aug 6, 2006
163 posts
if you have opened the packaging then i can't see them doing a cash return. an exchange for the exact item sure ... very unlikely a credit note either. but then that's common practice for most stores these days since copying is pretty much known with everyone.

if it's still sealed then they would have to return it or offer a credit note. if they say no then i would seriously be making calls around to the head office or another location just to see if it's just that location being difficult.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
They are a franchised company so this particular store might be exercising the (Shoppers Drug Mart reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of certain merchandise at any time and for any reason.) clause in their return policy. I would just try at a different location since according to the policy they are able to say no for any reason whenever they want.
Jan 10, 2008
999 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Games are considered software. You bought an intellectual property. It cannot be returned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2855 posts
11 upvotes
Issue resolved, I had already planned on visiting another SDM to get the return and they were more than happy to oblige.

So as I suspected, the supervisor at that particular SDM was just messing about to give a customer grief.

Either way, its been reported to head office and most likely they won't do jack to the supervisor there. Oh well, either way I got my return so thats good.

MoreMiles wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 9:04 pm
Games are considered software. You bought an intellectual property. It cannot be returned.
In response to your statements, I don't quite follow your line of thought. Is that to say if you bought a "PC software".. you are not entitled to an "Exchange or return?" I don't see your logic. Many stores have return policies that includes video games and electronics, just that some stores tend to twist policies around and abuse them to make it that much harder for customers to return items. (As was in my case).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5825 posts
1335 upvotes
Mississauga
MoreMiles wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 9:04 pm
Rx-87 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2008 12:08 am
In response to your statements, I don't quite follow your line of thought. Is that to say if you bought a "PC software".. you are not entitled to an "Exchange or return?" I don't see your logic. Many stores have return policies that includes video games and electronics, just that some stores tend to twist policies around and abuse them to make it that much harder for customers to return items. (As was in my case).
I think perhaps maybe, MoreMiles meant, if opened, they cannot returned. Which I would expect and you would expect. But then again, that isn't what MoreMiles said. :cheesygri
Mar 20, 2004
366 posts
I purchased Smash Bros. Brawl and 2 classic controllers over the past weekend... the person that rang the items through wrote on my receipt that all Nintendo accessories and games (unopened) have a 15-day return policy...

If it's not posted anywhere in the store, I'd try to speak to the store manager to see if it can get resolved... if not, escalate it up further with SDM head office...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2855 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for the info everyone and from what it seems then, it does depend on different SDM's and their policies but they should make note of them during the process of transaction (meaning at purchase), even after the consumer has asked for clarification on returns/exchanges during checkout.

Which was not done at the SDM that I first bought the item at.

Good to know for future reference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2855 posts
11 upvotes
Okay, I know I returned it but I just felt like I had to post this.

I just got an email back from customer services at SDM.

They would like the name of the employee and the day of return and hour...

If they actually follow through on this.... then I feel thoroughly satisfied with SDM's customer services and taking appropriate actions.