• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2010 12:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2408 posts
555 upvotes
The only time I set foot in SDM is on a 20X day, where we'll stock up on stuff we may need or buy things like more expensive make-up that my wife uses that Walmart would not carry. And beyond the makeup, even then we'll only buy stuff that's on sale from their regular price.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
362 upvotes
Etobicoke
zoro69 wrote: Sigh...1 last try

Im well aware loblaws would rig the comparison, as I pointed out. The startling thing was, for those of us who understand SDM pricing (price tag minus promotion), is loblaws managed to show and advertise SDM has the better prices between the two, once the almost every weekend promo (20x points, gc), value is taken into account.
LOL...even I sighed before reading the third 'not quite gettin' it' post!

Anyway, I don't think people are all that fooled by the points into paying more at SDM. Most of us are smart shoppers and buy what we need at the best price we can find it, or at least at a price we're comfortable with if we don't feel like hitting 5 stores to get everything we need. Some of SDMs prices are higher than some other store, some are less...just like all stores, yep even Walmar. I have seen sale and regular prices at SDM that are cheaper than Walmart. Stocking up on the bonus points days IS smart shopping if it's stuff you use anyway, even if you wouldn't be buying it that particular day but for the extra points. And it's really not that hard to spend $50 at SDM or anyplace else, most of us do when there are good sales regardless of where they are.

Personally if I need a product that I can get at any store I shop at, and the price is comparable at SDM, of course I'll get it at SDM and of course for the points. I've yet to see a points program where a few times a year I can go in and get $200 of merchandise for free, just for buying stuff I'd buy anyway. That IS smart shopping. And as a woman, all I need to do is buy a bottle of facial moisturizer, a bottle of perfume or some other face/body care product that I use and I'm either close to or over the $50. Seems stupid to go buy it somewhere else for the same or comparable price and get no reward for it.

I think some users overestimate the incentive of those points and think people spend more foolishly just for the points. That's not been my experience and from what I read on this site, it's not the experience of most users here either.

My 2 cents ;)
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
Nov 25, 2002
468 posts
55 upvotes
It's quite easy to load up on points at SDM when you have a baby. Most 20x pts days I load up on baby formula (if comparably priced w/ competitors) and easily get enough points to redeem for stuff. Also, women especially can purchase perfume, makeup, and stuff from SDM which are pretty much standard pricing between stores and get points. I told a colleague of mine to buy their Wii from SDM which gave them 40,000 points which translated into $100 on redemption day.

It's not a bad place to shop IF you are smart about it.
Jul 28, 2008
676 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
just a few random points I'd like to add:

I spend less than $1500 a year at SDM, and last year I cashed in about $400 worth of points. So far this year I cashed in $300, and have spent about $1000 (counting by my Plus status points countdown). I do use the Optimum mastercard as my primary credit card (switched from PC). I buy groceries and toiletries always on sale, and try to maximize optimum promos. You do have to put the effort in to maximize the deals, and not buy items that are overpriced (ie. regular price)

This brings me to overpriced items - for high end cosmetics, prices are 100% consistent from SDM to Sephora to The Bay, they have no choice. SDM's program is miles better than either of the above. Yes, some of us actually buy that stuff, and yes, I'm a girl and SDM is my playground :)

I laughed when I saw that the Loblaws comparison was an "average" across all their stores. So, in the end, the actual Loblaws price would be pretty close in line with SDM prices, considering the cheaper no frills prices pull down the average price.

Re. Wal Mart and Zellers - I live and work on the Yonge subway line. I don't have a car. There are 4-5 SDM's that are CONVENIENT for me to go to on any day of the week, pretty much on my way home from work. There is a 24-hour SDM just downstairs from my condo. I can't even get anywhere NEAR a Wal Mart or Zellers anywhere along the Yonge corridor (the closest would be a Zellers up at Steeles, one bus ride from Finch). I'm willing to pay a certain amount for convenience.
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
16 upvotes
Milk, Orange Juice, baby formula, and all cosmetics/fragrance are equivalent if not little cheaper even at SDM's regular price without the special 20x. probably spend $3000 last year there, hit plus this year around june, would have earlier if it wasnt for all the redemptions promos.
Apr 21, 2010
998 posts
86 upvotes
I only shop at SDM when they have a sale on Lindt dark chocolate and I load up 20 of them at a time . Also when I really need vitamin D but the limit of 1000IU makes it near useless
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
aznrock2000 wrote: It's quite easy to load up on points at SDM when you have a baby. Most 20x pts days I load up on baby formula (if comparably priced w/ competitors) and easily get enough points to redeem for stuff. Also, women especially can purchase perfume, makeup, and stuff from SDM which are pretty much standard pricing between stores and get points. I told a colleague of mine to buy their Wii from SDM which gave them 40,000 points which translated into $100 on redemption day.

It's not a bad place to shop IF you are smart about it.
+1. They're rarely the best priced on diapers, even on sale, but formula CAN be priced well, but I've also found formula prices can vary between shoppers. One I normally got was $20ish at Mt. Pleasant/Eglinton, but the same one was $28 in newmarket. Wipes can be a good deal if you get cases while they're on sale. Apple and Pear juices for infants (in baby aisle, not grocery) is very overpriced there, $3.29 each as compared to 2.09 in Metro/Walmart/everywhere else, and $1.99 at Zellers, all regular price. Same with Mum mums.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
back in school we had a high position marketer from SDM come in to talk about SDM and its marketing structure. He flat out told us that SDM maintains growth by charging higher than its competitors, but the point system entices consumers to believe it is still worth it to pay the extra $5 and get like a hundred thousand points.

As much as i hate Walmart and would rather support a somewhat more local company like SDM, it really throws me off when im looking for medicine, and at SDM its $15, and walmart charges only $10 for it.
Nov 25, 2002
468 posts
55 upvotes
Well I suppose there are 3 types of customers in the market. Those who shop specifically for the points regardless of price, those who could care less about the future benefits of the points and buy where it's cheapest, and those who actually look at the price of the products and decide if the points earned are worth it.

SDM probably has many in the first category compared to the third. However, I do think they are finding more and more are trending towards the third category and hence the change in the points-to-redemption $ structure. I think SDM will need to be more price competitive if they continue to devalue their points system.
Apr 21, 2010
998 posts
86 upvotes
thing about SDM is that there is that for me there is no less than 6 stores within walking distance but it's definitelly the most expensive store and they are storing more and more junk . It seems more pharmacies are expanding into little supermarkets and most supermarkets have their own pharmacy
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
24 upvotes
I use the Optimum MC, it was a pretty bad move when they signed me up and said I'd get $25 worth of points - but shortly after they changed the points structure :evil:
Maybe one day I'll have enough points that I can sell it for cash, maybe like $0.95 cents on the dollar, I don't buy much cosmetics so if I were to spend...I'd be buying tons of random things I do not need, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
wow Loblaws, glass houses baby.

granted Loblaws has been really trimming their margins across the board for the last year but it's not the second coming of the baby jesus.