Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3154 posts
160 upvotes
Markham

SDM's price

Yesterday,went to Shoppers,found their price is really significant high, baby D drops, superstore 13 vs SDM 18 dollar. braun ear thermometer,superstore/Costco 78 vs SDM 84. just wondering what the major reason people still shop there? location?
30 replies
May 12, 2004
687 posts
64 upvotes
The only days I buy from SDM at all is buy $50 and get 20x events for sale items only, usually for sale products that don't have bonus points as it may not count towards the $50. Otherwise most items are overpriced.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7050 posts
915 upvotes
With proper calculation of point value on $200 redemption, at 20X SDM is about the same price on the d drops ans significantly cheaper on the thermometer. Not to mention most of the population would have an SDM more conveniently located/open late, and sdm doesn't have a membership fee to shop there
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1698 posts
73 upvotes
Barrie
This is why I only shop there when I HAVE to. They are over priced, points or not.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
First of all, SDM sells more than 2 items. You could pick 2 items at any store and find another store that has much higher prices. You could also ask why does SDM sell Duraloops for $6.99 a pack on sale when other stores sell them for $19.99? SDM frequently has very good sale prices. If you know you prices and shop smart plus combine it with their points program, you can do very well at SDM. I buy milk, eggs, bread, sugar and other necessities at SDM at prices cheaper than other stores including No Frills. I redeemed $800 in points last year. I got a Wii, Wii Fit, a DS Lite, games and much more. I have redeemed $400 this year before they devalued their points.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
smartie wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 5:49 pm
Yesterday,went to Shoppers,found their price is really significant high, baby D drops, superstore 13 vs SDM 18 dollar. braun ear thermometer,superstore/Costco 78 vs SDM 84. just wondering what the major reason people still shop there? location?

Main reasons are the convenience and attractiveness of the stores. Their primary target market is the busy family woman with a good income.
- They have built oodles of new stores so you rarely have to drive far to get to one, at least in urban areas like Calgary.
- The stores are immaculately clean with pleasant lighting and decor and wide aisles.
- High prices keep out the riffraff Walmart types so there are fewer shoppers and you don't have to jostle or elbow your way through the store.
- You can check out the latest in beauty and cosmetics on your way in (many of the newer stores with single entrances require you to pass through a partitioned Cosmetics Dept to get into the rest of the store.)
- In many cases, they have a selection of popular grocery items at good-to-excellent prices to round out the shopping cart and perhaps save a trip to Safeway or Loblaws.
- Shoppers Optimum points have a high perceived value and appeal to the competitive nature of the target consumer
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
SDM is a store that rewards active shoppers at the expense of passive ones. Meaning that if you research sales and flyers, take good advantage of the Optimum program and are willing to buy when the price is good rather than when you need the item, you can get good deals. If you use it like a convenience store and just buy stuff when you need it, you'll get ripped off (rather like a convenience store actually). Costco is the exact opposite really, at Costco you can buy anything on any given day and be pretty confident that you got a decent deal and a fair price, and if you put in lots of effort to look for sales at Costco, you just save a buck here and there.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2914 posts
267 upvotes
Shoppers is the most expensive pharmacy in Canada, bar none. If something isn't in the flyer, you can be sure it's cheaper at Rexall, Loblaws, Wal-Mart, and so on.

You can be when you're the most dominant.

Oh yeah, and Optimum is not the program it once was.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3154 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
Cheap Cat wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 7:44 pm
First of all, SDM sells more than 2 items. You could pick 2 items at any store and find another store that has much higher prices. You could also ask why does SDM sell Duraloops for $6.99 a pack on sale when other stores sell them for $19.99? SDM frequently has very good sale prices. If you know you prices and shop smart plus combine it with their points program, you can do very well at SDM. I buy milk, eggs, bread, sugar and other necessities at SDM at prices cheaper than other stores including No Frills. I redeemed $800 in points last year. I got a Wii, Wii Fit, a DS Lite, games and much more. I have redeemed $400 this year before they devalued their points.

BTW, so if you redeemed 800 dollar,how much you had to spend to get there? I know PC Master card is 1% off, how about SDM card? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7050 posts
915 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 10:41 pm
BTW, so if you redeemed 800 dollar,how much you had to spend to get there? I know PC Master card is 1% off, how about SDM card? thanks
SDM is quite a bit more complicated with permutations of promos and redemption levels. But people here would be at least getting 20X points, so the return is about 40X that. Or expressed as a discount on the total items bought and redeemed for its about 24% if all items are taxable(was up to 34% until a couple months ago)

Spend $100, get 20,000 points worth just over $40 on a $200 redemption day. The referral promo we do here is worth quite a bit more then that.

Buy a PS3 this saturday for $300, gets 60,000 points worth $120 of other SDM stuff.

PC points, HBC, airmiles etc aren't remotely comparable to SDM as long as you stick to the promo days.
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3154 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
zoro69 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 10:52 pm
SDM is quite a bit more complicated with permutations of promos and redemption levels. But people here would be at least getting 20X points, so the return is about 40X that. Or expressed as a discount on the total items bought and redeemed for its about 24% if all items are taxable(was up to 34% until a couple months ago)

Spend $100, get 20,000 points worth just over $40 on a $200 redemption day. The referral promo we do here is worth quite a bit more then that.

Buy a PS3 this saturday for $300, gets 60,000 points worth $120 of other SDM stuff.

PC points, HBC, airmiles etc aren't remotely comparable to SDM as long as you stick to the promo days.

Yes,I can say it is complicated,didn't really get it lol. so let's say this way,let's pretend Optimum is a cash back card,so is PC master card,you shop everything every week at SDM regardless promotion or not,I shop everything at superstore. if both of us spend 10K annually, I would get 100 dollar cash back,how much you get? just try to quantify it. thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12564 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
The one down the street from me is open until midnight most days, that's pretty much it. If other places are open I'll usually go there instead.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7050 posts
915 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 11:05 pm
Yes,I can say it is complicated,didn't really get it lol. so let's say this way,let's pretend Optimum is a cash back card,so is PC master card,you shop everything every week at SDM regardless promotion or not,I shop everything at superstore. if both of us spend 10K annually, I would get 100 dollar cash back,how much you get? just try to quantify it. thanks

You cant really do that since the value of the points range from next to nothing to near 100%, and no one in their right mind is going to shop there ignoring that. Sometimes different promos overlap and the return on certain products can be huge. If you just randomly go and buy random items without paying attention to how it works you will certainly pay more at SDM

If you spend $10k at the frequently recurring 20X days you'd get $4,000 - towards other SDM purchases, which of course is nowhere near the same as having cash. A little more if you get the SDM mastercard too. Its why people here go crazy at the prospect of getting wiis and now playstations there on the right day, there is no where cheaper.

since it isnt cash its better to look at it as you would get $14000 in merchandise by spending $10000, and use that to compare prices (slightly more complicated then that the way tax works)

That is their thing, *most* of the prices are higher, but after the weekend promos many are equivalent...and the smart shopper can get some things lower then anywhere. At SDM the real price isn't the price on the tag, you need to take into account the promos. Its not worth shopping there without promotion unless its as a convenience

Almost every weekend is either a point promo, or spend $x and get a gc/movie ticket to somewhere else which is close but not quite the value of a 20X point day if you can use the gift card.

Its quite possible to dramatically over pay for things there, but understanding how the points worth and knowing your prices and shopping on the right days its also possible to get great deals. Even with the substantial devaluing of the points - a few months ago your $10K spend could have generated up to $6000 in additional items.

Apr 21, 2009
308 posts
8 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 7:44 pm

+1. Guys, Cheap Cat is right. I only buy milk at SDM because it's $2 cheaper at SDM than it is at No Frills. Not a real large savings, but no big deal either, as SDM is a 10-minute walk from my house. The bread, eggs and butter are almost always on sale. Cheap Cat is also right when she points out that SDM's sale prices are great prices, but the added bonus is that, as others have pointed out, there is an SDM almost everywhere these days. For example, I use the small bottles of Clorox bleach because I find the lid is much better at being child-resistant. I can only find this size at CT or Zellers, for around a dollar. But SDM usually puts it on for $0.88. I know, not a huge savings, but a real plus for me if I can walk to the store and pick up two or three, rather than having to wait until I make it back out to a CT or Zellers.
× < >