Off Topic Archive

Locked: SeaDoos & Jetskis Not Made For Salt Water?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2008 1:09 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

SeaDoos & Jetskis Not Made For Salt Water?

-
LOL can anyone tell me if this is true. I want to buy a SeaDoo to ride in a pacific sea beach but a co-worker told me that the SeaDoos and Jetskis sold here in Ontario are for "fresh water only" and are not for salt water, that for that I need to buy special sea-water SeaDoo.

What difference does it make if the water is fresh or salt water, water is water no?
Share:
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3540 posts
2 upvotes
sounds a little bs to me i doubt they would make 2 types for fresh and salt water when they can simply make one for both types of water
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
I think it's maintenance and the sealing of the engine compartment that matter but the PWCs are the same.

You have to wash and flush the craft completely after each and every use.

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 10:14 pm
What difference does it make if the water is fresh or salt water, water is water no?
Ever try drinking salt water? It's still water by your logic.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3540 posts
2 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 10:33 pm
Ever try drinking salt water? It's still water by your logic.
it's because you're going from non-salt to salt...if a seadoo was equipped to go on saltwater isn't it safe to assume that it would handle fresh water exactly the same? the only problem with salt is that it leaves residue behind, but if it was made to deal with this problem the lack of the problem should make the seadoo perform the same
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1037 posts
2 upvotes
Pickering
well, things tend to have a lot more buoyancy in salt water, so that may play into it. however, i don't have a seadoo, nor am i a physicist, so that's just a thought.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
-
So it's true then that a SeaDoo bought in Ontario is not compatible to use in salt sea water? Aren't these things all made of plastics from the outside mostly?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3540 posts
2 upvotes
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 10:54 pm
-
So it's true then that a SeaDoo bought in Ontario is not compatible to use in salt sea water? Aren't these things all made of plastics from the outside mostly?
i'd be willing to bet that there are 2 types. one for fresh water only, and one for salt water but will work for fresh water as well that costs more
May 2, 2003
551 posts
3 upvotes
Why don't you just ask wherever you're planning on buying this thing? If you're going used, call up a boat dealer anyway and get the information.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7740 posts
147 upvotes
it doesn't make a difference, i shipped jet skis to Barbados the saltwater doesn't effect anything..
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
A quick google will give you your answer...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Jet-Ski-Engin ... &id=299547
Another thing, flush water from your engine regularly. Lake water may do but algae and dirt normally cause buildup in the engine parts which may eventually cause the decline in performance of the machine. If you are using your jet ski in salt water however, you have to assure to it that salt water is flushed before storing it.

Salt, once it builds up can actually cause you serious problems. These are quite hard to remove and you have no other option but to painstakingly remove them by means other than using hot water (one of the most effective medium for removing salt deposits. After all, you can never use hot water in cleaning a cooling system.

You need also to have a close watch on the impeller. Minerals, dirt, weeds and algae can all get deposited in the impeller which in the end, will drop down the performing capacity of your jet ski. Remember to clear these once you get out from water.
/post
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1823 posts
1 upvote
Lava wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 12:05 am
A quick google will give you your answer...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Jet-Ski-Engin ... &id=299547
Except that the article you linked does not answer the question at hand. The question is: Are jet skis made specifically for either fresh water or salt water, or can they be used in either types of water?
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
YYZFA wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 1:23 am
Except that the article you linked does not answer the question at hand. The question is: Are jet skis made specifically for either fresh water or salt water, or can they be used in either types of water?
Uhh.. yea it does...

Jet Skis are made for both, you just have to take extra precautions and maintain them differently... (read article)

Here's another article from the SEA-DOO website...

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Owner.Cent ... e.Tips.htm
If you're operating in salt water you'll need to execute the very simple flush procedure which is explained in your owner's manual. You did read your owner's manual right? If not, stop here and go get it. Flushing the cooling system with fresh water is essential to neutralize the corroding effects of salt or other chemical products present in water. Flushing will also help to remove sand, salt, shells and other particles present in hoses and water jackets.
/post
[OP]
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
nano wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 11:40 pm
it doesn't make a difference, i shipped jet skis to Barbados the saltwater doesn't effect anything..
Thanks a lot for the answer, and you never had problems with them at all?
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
Nah.... just spread some honey around the SeaDoo and you will be fine.

By the way, you live in TO and will buy a SeeDoo to use in the pacific ?
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
× < >