Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto

Seafood and crab legs obsessed!

Where has the freshest crab legs /lobster etc? I frequent captains boil but sometimes it’s hit or miss and overly salty I hate that...anywhere else u guys can recommend? Please don’t say fisherman club house I had the Hong Kong lobster there and it was super gross.
40 replies
Jun 23, 2017
171 posts
47 upvotes
cope wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:27 pm
I'm a fan of just buying seafood from Diana's and cooking it myself but they also have restaurants you can check out...

Store link: http://www.dianasseafood.com/
Restaurant link: http://dianasoysterbar.com/
Two locations, one in Scarborough and one in Markham.
Me too!
I once ordered a whole Alaska cod from them. Cost me $100, but definitely worth it. Of course, my wife refused to eat cod for the rest of year since that fish took us almost 4 days to finish off.
Jun 23, 2017
171 posts
47 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:32 am
Where has the freshest crab legs /lobster etc? I frequent captains boil but sometimes it’s hit or miss and overly salty I hate that...anywhere else u guys can recommend? Please don’t say fisherman club house I had the Hong Kong lobster there and it was super gross.
Frankly speaking, fisherman club house's seafood is already the freshest seafood you can get in GTA.
If you are into crabs and lobsters, why not buy some from your local TNT market and cook them on your own? They carry livestock seafood all year round. It's much cheaper than going to the restaurant and it's easy to cook them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
cope wrote:
I'm a fan of just buying seafood from Diana's and cooking it myself
Depending on how you're ordering it this makes much more sense than buying it in a restaurant.
It's not that hard to for example steam crab legs.

There's a certain balance point though. I'll always hit AYCE crab legs because I can "make" money over buying and cooking.
But if it's a la carte? I'm making.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
Andrewhl wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:26 pm
Frankly speaking, fisherman club house's seafood is already the freshest seafood you can get in GTA.
If you are into crabs and lobsters, why not buy some from your local TNT market and cook them on your own? They carry livestock seafood all year round. It's much cheaper than going to the restaurant and it's easy to cook them.
The frozen seafood I’ve been buying is lacklustre got some king crab legs frozen from metro and Costco both meh who know how long those crabs been dead I need freshhhh. Lobster for sure i can make but it’s the crab legs that I’m having a hard time finding
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:20 am
I need freshhhh. Lobster for sure i can make but it’s the crab legs that I’m having a hard time finding
Generally speaking, fresh crab is damn near impossible to find. (Assuming you mean snow/king and not something like dungies)
Asian markets sometimes have it but it's EXTREMELY expensive making it not worth it.
Plus you're paying full price for the whole thing as opposed to just the legs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:26 am
Generally speaking, fresh crab is damn near impossible to find. (Assuming you mean snow/king and not something like dungies)
Asian markets sometimes have it but it's EXTREMELY expensive making it not worth it.
Plus you're paying full price for the whole thing as opposed to just the legs.
Yea snow crabs or king crabs I don’t mind if frozen but I wonder if any stores have fresher frozen seafood cuz when it’s defrosted it just taste like crap
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1900 posts
797 upvotes
HK
I feel you OP.

I eat crab/lobster almost every day, on top of fish and oysters. I'm not in Toronto, but usually prefer asian-style (any Chinese restaurant really) whether it is cooked with ginger and scallions or fried with pepper-salt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:20 am
I feel you OP.

I eat crab/lobster almost every day, on top of fish and oysters. I'm not in Toronto, but usually prefer asian-style (any Chinese restaurant really) whether it is cooked with ginger and scallions or fried with pepper-salt.
Everyday? Oh u rich rich. I wish lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24043 posts
9555 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 8:49 am
Yea snow crabs or king crabs I don’t mind if frozen but I wonder if any stores have fresher frozen seafood cuz when it’s defrosted it just taste like crap
Try finding a store with a higher turn over.
A "premium" store would probably work too, but with added expense.
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 2:43 pm
Everyday? Oh u rich rich. I wish lol
Could be from the coast.
If you live near a lobster area, it's DIRT cheap.
Feb 22, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
cope wrote:
I'm a fan of just buying seafood from Diana's and cooking it myself but they also have restaurants you can check out...

Store link: http://www.dianasseafood.com/
Restaurant link: http://dianasoysterbar.com/
Two locations, one in Scarborough and one in Markham.
We buy a case of the bardi snow crab legs there...just under $200 for i think a 10 lbs case...these are the big ones...not the small crab legs you get at grocery stores....we break down a box into about 3/4 meals/portions. Still a bit pricey but but I haven’t found cheaper for quality you get.
Last edited by MistahChin on Feb 14th, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.