Expired Hot Deals

SEAGATE 4tb External 129 & 132 Amazon // Dell Under 40 cents. Cheapest Hdd on the market

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 8:12 pm
Aug 29, 2010
147 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
5tb one is only $20 more.

Kind of considering picking one of these up to attach to my Mibox, I know seagate isn't good, but what's the problem with it?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
762 upvotes
Richmond
It takes certain kind of madness to buy refurbished spinning disk hard drive just to save $20.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1546 posts
662 upvotes
Parksville, BC
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:15 pm
It takes certain kind of madness to buy refurbished spinning disk hard drive just to save $20.
I'd rather have a refurbed Ultrastar than a new Seagate.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
flopticalcube wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:31 pm
This guy, he gets it too. Is Seagate in the title of the there yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
762 upvotes
Richmond
flopticalcube wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:31 pm
If it has similar warranty. Sure. I probably feel similar, but Seagate is 1 year vs Ultrastar's 90 days. 90 days for for a portable drive seem silly.

Though I suppose if you are just ripping it out to use in NAS then I guess warranty doesn't matter anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1546 posts
662 upvotes
Parksville, BC
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:39 pm
If it has similar warranty. Sure. I probably feel similar, but Seagate is 1 year vs Ultrastar's 90 days. 90 days for for a portable drive seem silly.

Though I suppose if you are just ripping it out to use in NAS then I guess warranty doesn't matter anyway.
Pop quiz: What has a higher probability of failure over the next year? A new drive or a drive half-way through its life? Think carefully.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
762 upvotes
Richmond
flopticalcube wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:42 pm
Pop quiz: What has a higher probability of failure over the next year? A new drive or a drive half-way through its life? Think carefully.
That question seems silly though. New drive has warranty. If it fail within that time. You just get a new one. No matter the answer, the cost to you is zero.

Like I said, if you are going to use a portable drive in a NAS, you really shouldn't be looking at these drive to begin with. They are not designed for it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7057 posts
944 upvotes
Winnipeg
westnylefx wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:25 am

My personal preference is on drives with power, They are faster and more reliable. just statistically the portable drives do fail more often. so for what i use drives for offline storage. These externals with power are better. less likely to ever lose data. also easier to repair / data recover a 3.5" drive, costs less than a 2.5" drive.
What stats?
2.5 in the past were designed for lower power and harsher conditions hence we're pricier. But I'd like to read the study.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1546 posts
662 upvotes
Parksville, BC
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:49 pm
That question seems silly though. New drive has warranty. If it fail within that time. You just get a new one. No matter the answer, the cost to you is zero.

Like I said, if you are going to use a portable drive in a NAS, you really shouldn't be looking at these drive to begin with. They are not designed for it.
Its not silly at all. The point is that the warranty length is irrelevant since the newer drive is far more likely to need it than the older one.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
762 upvotes
Richmond
flopticalcube wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:11 pm
Its not silly at all. The point is that the warranty length is irrelevant since the newer drive is far more likely to need it than the older one.
I'm not sure I understand the logic. If it needs the warranty, the new drive has it. The fact that the older drive doesn't need it as much has no benefit to me. Since the cost of using the warranty in case it happens is pretty close to nothing anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1546 posts
662 upvotes
Parksville, BC
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:30 pm
I'm not sure I understand the logic. If it needs the warranty, the new drive has it. The fact that the older drive doesn't need it as much has no benefit to me. Since the cost of using the warranty in case it happens is pretty close to nothing anyway.
Think of it this way. I would rather have a short warranty on a drive with a proven track record of high reliability than a long one on a drive without. Of far more importance than the drive, to me, is the data on it (or the hassle of reloading from backups).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
762 upvotes
Richmond
flopticalcube wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:33 pm
Think of it this way. I would rather have a short warranty on a drive with a proven track record of high reliability than a long one on a drive without. Of far more importance than the drive, to me, is the data on it (or the hassle of reloading from backups).
That is the part we disagree with I guess. All drives are going to fail. Preparation should be done before they fail anyway. Most of the hassle should have been out of the way. Reloading from backups should be relatively simple. So I rather buy something that are new over something that isn't likely to fail immediately but has no warranty after that.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4252 posts
2591 upvotes
North York
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:27 pm
That is the part we disagree with I guess. All drives are going to fail. Preparation should be done before they fail anyway. Most of the hassle should have been out of the way. Reloading from backups should be relatively simple. So I rather buy something that are new over something that isn't likely to fail immediately but has no warranty after that.
Okay I just want to chime in on this.

The seagate warranty is 365 days. Refurbed Ultrastar's is 90 days.

The chance of an Ultra failed after 90 days is still very much lower than that of a new seagate after 365 days.

Or better, from 366th days onwards (after warranty) , the chance of the new Seagate failimg is still so much higher than that of a refurbed Ultrastar.

But then again these 2 drives are in different class.

If anyone wants to compare HGST Ultrastar with a Seagate enterprise equivalent, they should be comparing to a Seagate Constellation, not the regular commercial Seagate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
1691 posts
341 upvotes
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:27 pm
yeah the peace of mind is worth 20$ lol refurb spinning rust drives. hell no
-AMD Ryzen 1800x Cpu-440$ // Asus Crosshair Vi Motherboard-280$ // Noctua DH15-80$
-Custom Core i7 Desktop - Intel Core i7 4770 8gb ram hd6870 gfx 500gb ssd &hdd ect - 900$.
Click here to check my BST post.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)