Hot Deals

SEAGATE 4tb External 129 & 132 Amazon // Dell Under 40 cents. Cheapest Hdd on the market

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 7:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3343 posts
214 upvotes
Norwood
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:27 pm
All drives are going to fail.
I agree 99%. The other 1% was that you retire the drive as you upgrade to a new computer.

Using Raid or UnRaid, whichever meets your needs and budget is the smart option.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6922 posts
890 upvotes
Winnipeg
ID01 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:38 pm

Don't get me wrong, I can totally understand someone not liking a Seagate brand and prefer another one even if it cost a little more. But taking drive that has been used 24/7 for years with extremely poor feedback rating over a brand new Seagate drive? That is what I call irrational to the extreme.

Either that, or they just plain don't understand how statistic works.
I understand that my refurb has been running 2 years 24 /7 tests fine. I didn't leave a review.stats are only as relevant as the sample and may not be confused with absolutes only absolutely those dissatisfied wrote reviews. Makes drawing conclusive conclusions difficult.
But I also have Multiple hgst from 2011 which test perfect and run 24/7. My 24/7 includes multiple spinups/idle daily. I have no seagates nor wd from same date still testing perfect.
There was a reason Seagate bought Samsung and wd bought hgst. Unfortunately seagate didn't continue to release Samsung unlike wd.
Now why would I buy a Seagate?

Plus what's the warranty and condition of the replaced rma drives?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1636 posts
524 upvotes
Prince George
I'm curious what it is that's 40 cents. You mention this figure several times. Perhaps you're referring to 40 dollars, as in $40 per terabyte? Or 4 cents per gigabyte?
Nov 6, 2016
43 posts
14 upvotes
If you look at the stat provided by Backblaze (which is probably using more drives than all of us here combined). The number doesn't look that much different between each company. It is more of a specific model that you need to look out for.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... tats-2016/

At the end of the day, you should run some type of RAID and mirror it to the cloud if you don't want to lost your data.
Sep 2, 2010
476 posts
164 upvotes
montreal
blazed16 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:22 pm
wd 4tb in store winnipeg is 149,99

Unless you want a seagate portable 4TB then $150 on amazon right now

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZTRXFBA/ref ... MT6D&psc=1
Kwirky wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 2:19 pm
Any USB 3.0 drive should work with XBox One, for the convenience of having a physically smaller drive & not needing an external power supply you're probably best off with a portable one like the Seagate blazed16 mentioned above.
Thank you both for the info...
Yeah going without external power supply is a huge must.
thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
1813 posts
177 upvotes
FYI the ST 8TB Expansion external is on sale for $238 till the 17/07 at Staples, There are many coupons but the easier is to subscribe to their e-mails for $10 off.
It should be the usual price as it goes for US$160-170.
Dec 12, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
Yeah, if the first word in the title was changed to "NOT-SEAGATE", I'd be interested in this deal. But I love my data too much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
1555 posts
292 upvotes
Caledon
GeeN99 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:49 am
Yeah, if the first word in the title was changed to "NOT-SEAGATE", I'd be interested in this deal. But I love my data too much.
Seagate vs WD can go on all day long.

There is no better mfg.

If you love your data you must have a redundant solution, Anyone who buys 1 drive and trusts all their data on that drive is a fool.
-Custom Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 4770 8gb ram hd 6870 gfx 500gb ssd &hdd ect - 1000$.
-Dell E7470 Ultrabook - Intel Core i5 6300u 8gb ddr4 256gb ssd - 750$
Click here to check my BST post.
Nov 6, 2016
43 posts
14 upvotes
lead wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 2:33 am
I understand that my refurb has been running 2 years 24 /7 tests fine. I didn't leave a review.stats are only as relevant as the sample and may not be confused with absolutes only absolutely those dissatisfied wrote reviews. Makes drawing conclusive conclusions difficult.
But I also have Multiple hgst from 2011 which test perfect and run 24/7. My 24/7 includes multiple spinups/idle daily. I have no seagates nor wd from same date still testing perfect.
There was a reason Seagate bought Samsung and wd bought hgst. Unfortunately seagate didn't continue to release Samsung unlike wd.
Now why would I buy a Seagate?

Plus what's the warranty and condition of the replaced rma drives?
I think you are missing the point of HGST and Samsung purchase. They weren't purchase because they have better manufacturing tech or hidden IP that WD or Seagate need. Both are tiny manufacturer that are not focus in hard disk industry. Neither are vertical producer, I think Samsung bought 80% of their part from vendor whereas WD and Seagate are 100% vertical. It is at the point when Samsung need to invest more to compete and they probably think it make more sense to do that in their other growth sector like SSD. The only thing they want Samsung and HGST is for market share through current channel, but that are slowly phase out too.
Dec 12, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
westnylefx wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:49 pm
Seagate vs WD can go on all day long.

There is no better mfg.

If you love your data you must have a redundant solution, Anyone who buys 1 drive and trusts all their data on that drive is a fool.
The only real stats I have on this Seagate vs. WD stuff is my own experience and of those around me. Seagate failures = happen while you're using the drives (0 to 5 years) --- WD failures = you normally upgrade to another drive before it happens, either because it has been 5+ years and you want a bigger one, or the drive warns you ahead of time.
May 19, 2005
754 posts
229 upvotes
Kingston
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:09 pm
I own two of them and they are on 24/7 since I bought them last October. Staples had them on for $119. Obviously we can't go back in time, but these have been cheaper.
Maybe we can't, but knowing historical price lows is very, very pertinent to making judgements on "value". Something that looks like a great deal now, looks less like a great deal when one knows they sold for less, earlier. It is an indication that we're not as close to the manufacturers cost as we might have thought. Thanks very much for the contribution.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15654 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
FYI the "orange" colored WD MyBook 4TB USB-powered HD is also $149.99 at amazon.ca right now
Aug 19, 2013
424 posts
170 upvotes
I'm still using a 2tb WD elements that has a ton of relocation events (1000+). That number has stayed mostly stable since 2012. (Also partitioned off the bad area which seems to be concentrated at the end of the drive). Obviously the entire thing is backed up but surprised it hasn't degraded much. I did take it out of its case and plugged it directly in the sata port next to the case intake fan.

But yeah, backups are a must.
Jul 30, 2015
22 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i bought a 3 TB external 3 years ago for $99; the prices haven't changed since then... thanks to weak dollar: