• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2014 11:10 am
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes

Seagate External Hard Drive Power Supply Makes Noise

I recently bought a 5TB Seagate external hard drive and the drive works fine but the power supply makes a low whining sound. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it's usually quiet for a couple of minutes and then it starts to make the same sound again. It's not very noticeable but it was loud enough for me to notice and figure out where the sound was coming from.

I searched the net and found a few other people who reported the same problem with Seagate and Lacie external hard drive power supplies but it's unclear if the defect is simply an annoying sound or if the power supply will soon die. Any thoughts? If I submit an RMA, would I have to return the hard drive or just the power supply?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
I believe if you RMA you have to return both. Since they need to test your hard drive with the power supply to see what the sound is.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Probably just coil whine or something similar. The parts weren't glued together properly and they're oscillating. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And even if it does die, those external hard drives use standard 12V power bricks that are extremely easy to get replacements for. I wouldn't bother with RMAing. It wouldn't hurt to call them up and see if they'll just send you a new brick though.
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys. The noise seems to come and go... right now it's not making noise but last night it was noisier. Scycotic, I might take your advice and find out if they're willing to send me a new power supply without going through the RMA process.
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes
The power supply failed today. The hard drive doesn't turn on anymore with that power supply. I tested a power supply that I use for a different external hard drive and the Seagate works fine so I contacted Seagate to find out if I can replace the power supply without having to also return the hard drive.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Lucky it did not blow the hdd
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Aug 10, 2005
596 posts
54 upvotes
Seagate responded to my email and told me that the warranty only covers the hard drive but if they have the power supply in stock they're willing to send me a new one. It's nice of them to make an exception but I'm surprised that their warranty doesn't also the power supply.