None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12298 posts
1339 upvotes

Seagate Updates Warranty Terms on Select Bare Drives

[IMG]http://img.en25.com/eloquaimages/client ... 42x214.jpg[/IMG]

Starting in 2009, Seagate will be making some important changes to its limited warranty terms for selected bare drive products.

For products purchased on or after January 3, 2009, the limited warranty period for consumer electronics, notebook and personal storage bare drives sold to Seagate Authorized Distributors will be changed from 5 to 3 years. Seagate believes that the new warranty period and terms better reflect current industry standards.

Seagate enterprise drives and Seagate and Maxtor external retail products that have 5-year warranty periods will not be affected by this change.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6010 posts
416 upvotes
BestOffer wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 4:13 pm
[IMG]http://img.en25.com/eloquaimages/client ... 42x214.jpg[/IMG]

Starting in 2009, Seagate will be making some important changes to its limited warranty terms for selected bare drive products.

For products purchased on or after January 3, 2009, the limited warranty period for consumer electronics, notebook and personal storage bare drives sold to Seagate Authorized Distributors will be changed from 5 to 3 years. Seagate believes that the new warranty period and terms better reflect current industry standards.

Seagate enterprise drives and Seagate and Maxtor external retail products that have 5-year warranty periods will not be affected by this change.
Ugh. Lame. :mad:

This was my main reason for picking up my 1TB Seagate drive over the competitors. The additional 2 year warranty for more or less free (same price as the other drives) made it a no brainer.

With Seagate's recently HDD failures with most of their drives excluding their 1TB line, I see little reason to continue to purchase Seagate HDD's if there is a similarly (or competitively) priced hard drive from a competitor with the same or better warranty (and specs too of course).
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1814 posts
505 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up OP.

I buy several brands of drives but used to prefer Seagates for their 5 year warranty even though I've had more failures of Seagate drives than any other brand. Looks like WD and others will be getting more of my business after the new policy goes into effect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)