Sears 20-50% Off Closeout Sale Starts Today

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 7:30 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14177 posts
2535 upvotes
Toronto
Hilco has been getting away with this for years and years. Zellers, Target etc.
Feb 22, 2016
840 posts
442 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 4:24 pm
Hilco has been getting away with this for years and years. Zellers, Target etc.
And yet nobody complained until they got to Sears? I'm guessing the employees got the ball rolling. Can't blame them....
Zellers and Target laid-off staff did get their severance pay as far as I know.
Mar 26, 2005
304 posts
253 upvotes
St Clements, MB
Zellers didn't go bankrupt, they voluntarily liquidated.
Oct 22, 2006
693 posts
399 upvotes
Ontario
I went to Sears today for the first time in about 2 months. I was purchasing some men's garments that still had the original sticker on them. When they rang them up, it showed that the liquidator had actually increased the price for the SKU in their systems. If I'd walked out without checking, I'd have been screwed. Luckily I noticed it and told them the price was wrong. I wonder how many unsuspecting customers are falling for the liquidator's gimmicks. I saw the Sears brand comforters which sold for $99 for months with a price of $149 on them. So many people are being suckered...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21769 posts
2464 upvotes
cslusarc wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 12:26 am
Zellers didn't go bankrupt, they voluntarily liquidated.
Yeah but who knows how long they could have continued otherwise...probably would have brought down all of HBC by now. And I'm not sure how much longer The Bay has left anyway...they're probably the next giant on their way out. Retail seems seriously doomed in Canada.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11328 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:18 am
Yeah but who knows how long they could have continued otherwise...probably would have brought down all of HBC by now. And I'm not sure how much longer The Bay has left anyway...they're probably the next giant on their way out. Retail seems seriously doomed in Canada.
The Bay is doing fine. Simons will also continue to grow. With Sears out of the way, Bay now has a monopoly for not being a Walmart and not being a Nordstrom or Simons.
If anything, it might be Sacks that falls apart and dies.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3035 posts
621 upvotes
Edmonton
dollarsign wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 11:30 pm
I went to Sears today for the first time in about 2 months. I was purchasing some men's garments that still had the original sticker on them. When they rang them up, it showed that the liquidator had actually increased the price for the SKU in their systems. If I'd walked out without checking, I'd have been screwed. Luckily I noticed it and told them the price was wrong. I wonder how many unsuspecting customers are falling for the liquidator's gimmicks. I saw the Sears brand comforters which sold for $99 for months with a price of $149 on them. So many people are being suckered...
Their 'original' prices are a total scam.. We were looking at a dining set, says $1100 original price, marked down 83% off.. $190. Guy says thats just for the table, the chairs will be sold in 2 packs, and add another $250. Go look up the set, it was on sale for $599 (40% off) with the chairs previously. That makes the set $1000 when it was new. And these are floor models, so that's pretty much what it would have been worth anyways.

There are deals to be found, but it's bizarre where some of these prices are coming from.

Go home, google the set, it only sold fo
Feb 19, 2017
630 posts
237 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:18 am
HBC seems to be doing fine i think, Home outfittes had quite a few customers buying stuff on Sunday (when i decided to buy a couple duvets). Bay seems to have a decent amount of traffic too (at least above average). Considering their markups, im guessing they will be turning a profit this quarter. Sears closeout sale probably helped them due to bad deals at Sears probsbly driving customers to the Bay.
Aug 15, 2015
178 posts
30 upvotes
Markham, ON
As a child, I used to visit Sears Outlet after piano lesson. It is now Bobby's outlet. It's sad to see stores go but I guess I don't shop enough.

It's hard to buy when you already have enough. Stuff back then were so well made and long lasting. I am against buying garbage that were designed to not to last so that consumer continues to consume. I often tell people with pride that "I had this since Grade 5".
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11328 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
I can't believe the suckers that are actually paying $13.99 for a Lindt Christmas calendar. (regular retail) at Sears (no discount applies) when Shoppers has the same item on sale for $10.99 and Walmart beats that, maintaining the lowest price at $10.78!!
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13717 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Fairview (on Wednesday) said 4 days left
There's almost nothing left in the store so unless you're open to buying anything and everything, don't bother.

Scarborough Town Centre however has no countdown on when they are closing, has the same sale discounts up and has a lot of stock left (if you go to the 3rd floor, it's still rammed with merchandise- luggage, clothes, mattresses and appliances).

There's no more "Waiting" IMO. Fairview, on its last week had the same 40% off Shoes sign and then added a yellow printed paper that said "An Additional 10%"
You gotta realize, there's no urgency to "give" these items away because they can sell it to companies that buy closeout merchandise. So really, I'm not surprised to see only 50% on shoes, even on the last few days.
Images
  • 20171128_163919.jpg
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11328 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:51 pm
Scarborough Town Centre however has no countdown on when they are closing, has the same sale discounts up and has a lot of stock left (if you go to the 3rd floor, it's still rammed with merchandise- luggage, clothes, mattresses and appliances).
Two weeks before the liquidation started, the third floor already did a 50% off the red sticker price sale.
What's left after that sure isn't going to sell at 20-30-40% off. (as we have witnessed, lol)
It's something I wish they'd realize and just dive into 50% once again ASAP. (or better, at least for the red sticker stuff)
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13717 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:50 am
Two weeks before the liquidation started, the third floor already did a 50% off the red sticker price sale.
What's left after that sure isn't going to sell at 20-30-40% off. (as we have witnessed, lol)
It's something I wish they'd realize and just dive into 50% once again ASAP. (or better, at least for the red sticker stuff)
My point was, people are consumed with a closing store. At Fairview, which is closing, there's nothing left but at STC, there's a lot, including 60% off luggage. I think people feel some sort of urgency to buy when the store is closing.

For someone that comparison shops or has a "buy" price on things I'm looking for, I took a pass on A LOT at Sears.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11328 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:01 pm
My point was, people are consumed with a closing store.
Two words come to mind on that one: International Clothiers. lol They own so many different stores with the exact same inventory. They are well known for "Store closing" and then "Grand opening sale" with the same prices...then changing the name of the store again.
(ie A labels store closes down, but in it's place a Designer Depot opens up...same inventory, same prices...same owner)
I don't have any updates on the company, but this article from 2016 hints that maybe IC won't be around much longer...(?): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e29575392/