Sears 20-50% Off Closeout Sale Starts Today

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 1:20 pm
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:01 pm
I think people feel some sort of urgency to buy when the store is closing.
The only time there should be "urgency to buy" is if it really is the last day AND the discount is 90% off*. Any unsold luggage at Fairview probably gets shipped to STC, and any unsold luggage at STC will eventually join the huge pile at Pickering. Anybody who bought luggage at 60% off of the Hilco "regular price" of $300 is a sucker.

* this happened at the Zellers liquidation in Ajax. Store still had a lot of stuff at 90% off on closing day... then for the last 2 hours they took another 50% off so it was 95% off....
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11307 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:43 am
Anybody who bought luggage at 60% off of the Hilco "regular price" of $300 is a sucker.
Yup! Scarborough town luggage (3rd floor) is 70% off right now...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11307 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Anybody who bought luggage at 60% off of the Hilco "regular price" of $300 is a sucker.

* this happened at the Zellers liquidation in Ajax. Store still had a lot of stuff at 90% off on closing day... then for the last 2 hours they took another 50% off so it was 95% off....
A friend who does not post here (but lurks here) asks this question:
What is the condition of the luggage at the 90% off point? It is all scratched up, banged up etc? (ie floor model, worn and torn look, or poor condition) Or does it still look new??
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:21 pm
A friend who does not post here (but lurks here) asks this question:
What is the condition of the luggage at the 90% off point? It is all scratched up, banged up etc? (ie floor model, worn and torn look, or poor condition) Or does it still look new??
Until we get to that point how can anybody answer that? Just like any other sale, it's up to the buyer to decide what price is low enough for your tastes. But unless customers are truly vandalizing the merchandise -- luggage in a store shouldn't look worse than, say, luggage that has been checked in a couple times (so some light scratches but no cracks/dents outside, no damage inside, intact zippers and handles). Luggage that is easily damaged in the store (by, say, kids kicking them down like dominoes...), you probably wouldn't want to trust on a trip! All of the luggage I saw in Pickering looked new. None screamed "return", none look used.

I'm in no need for new luggage so unless there's an absolute "steal" for me (say, 90% off a decent brand) I won't buy any.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11307 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:55 pm
Until we get to that point how can anybody answer that?
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sorry, I think the question is what WAS it at that point, not what is. Good point that maybe each liquidation has it's differences.
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 2:01 pm
Sorry, I think the question is what WAS it at that point, not what is. Good point that maybe each liquidation has it's differences.
When I checked last week the luggage (and ONLY luggage) was at 70% off. Everything else in the store was at 40% or so (again, off the fraudulently hiked MSRP's). Clearly, Sears has way too much luggage in stock to get rid of...
Apr 16, 2009
2 posts
3 upvotes
Good evening.
I was at the Ottawa...St. Laurent Shopping Centre store this evening and inquired when the next % drop would be....the lady confirmed it occurs every 2 weeks and the next drop to 50% will be this coming Wed or Thurs.
She believes it is Wed...but was not 100%....does anyone know for sure the day ..Wed or Thurs?
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
haggismac wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 7:55 pm
Good evening.
I was at the Ottawa...St. Laurent Shopping Centre store this evening and inquired when the next % drop would be....the lady confirmed it occurs every 2 weeks and the next drop to 50% will be this coming Wed or Thurs.
She believes it is Wed...but was not 100%....does anyone know for sure the day ..Wed or Thurs?
I wouldn't believe anything Hilco says. They will lower prices when it's most advantageous to them, not to you. If stock is still moving at the 40% off level, why would they go to 50?
Your best move is just check every week and keep a watch on items you want and decide how much you're willing to pay for it. And if/when the price gets there, get it. Pickering Town Centre is an easy stop on my way home from work so it's just a few minutes hassle for me and no extra fuel out of my car.

Most important thing is don't fall into the "FOMO" (fear of missing out) trap. Hilco thrives on that (especially when they start the "final days" countdown but keep the prices high) There should be NO regrets if you "missed out" on getting something at too high a price.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3604 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
My wife and I dropped in on Sunday. She’s looking for KitchenAid Mixer accessories. Whatever is left is still way overpriced. We left without buying anything.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13631 posts
3409 upvotes
Toronto
ammaretto wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:50 pm
was at eastgate store today in hamilton...saw these ladies shoes for 40% off https://www.marks.com/en/clarks-womens- ... dgroup*%5D

the reg price was $119-

just shook my head & left.....
I can beat that, here is a chair at 90% off, look at the "regular" price Face With Tears Of Joy
(The flash obscures the top left where 90% is written in red ink)
Images
  • 570x760_smart_fit.jpg
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
May 23, 2014
620 posts
271 upvotes
canada
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:19 pm
I can beat that, here is a chair at 90% off, look at the "regular" price Face With Tears Of Joy
(The flash obscures the top left where 90% is written in red ink)
Lollllll how has this not been bigger in the media. Sears even hires people to stand at crosswalks with sale signs around all stores. This is such a sham: anyone buying anything right now is a total fool lol
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1435 posts
461 upvotes
Ontario
thesick wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:42 am
Sears even hires people to stand at crosswalks with sale signs around all stores.
I saw this too. An unsafe practice for motorists and the people holding the signs. I've seen it happen for shady retailers, but was surprised to see the Sears name doing this.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11307 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
eager beaver wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:16 am
I've seen it happen for shady retailers, but was surprised to see the Sears name doing this.
Sears is not doing this. Hilco Liquidators is the culprit. Sears Canada is already gone. It's Hilco liquidation now, occupying the Sears Canada stores.

If you sell your house and someone else moves in, should I believe that YOU finally painted the front yard fence? It isn't you or anything you have a say in anymore, is it?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13631 posts
3409 upvotes
Toronto
thesick wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:42 am
Lollllll how has this not been bigger in the media. Sears even hires people to stand at crosswalks with sale signs around all stores. This is such a sham: anyone buying anything right now is a total fool lol
My photo has not yet gone viral, any day now Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

wallslug