Sears 20-50% Off Closeout Sale Starts Today

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 1:20 pm
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:05 am
My photo has not yet gone viral, any day now Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
What already went viral (and what triggered the Competition Bureau investigation... the silence from that is deafening...) were photos of the artificially high regular price stickers carelessly placed on top of the real regular price... and you could easily peel off the high one to see what it used to be!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13629 posts
3407 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:12 am
What already went viral (and what triggered the Competition Bureau investigation... the silence from that is deafening...) were photos of the artificially high regular price stickers carelessly placed on top of the real regular price... and you could easily peel off the high one to see what it used to be!
I did not know of this, got a link?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7352 posts
1062 upvotes
eager beaver wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:16 am
I saw this too. An unsafe practice for motorists and the people holding the signs. I've seen it happen for shady retailers, but was surprised to see the Sears name doing this.
same signs with target, same with zellers...because its the same liquidator conducting the sale

shocking how much has been sold in Kingston, all at prices at or above it would have been in the regula r flyers at.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
While the Sears @ Scarborough town is currently offering 40% off $59.99 sears brand fall jackets, the Jack Jones in the mall seems to have better quality fall jackets that really were $100-$150 regular retail going for only $40
The math may work out to $4 more, but the quality (and more choice of colour) is also better.

As god as my witness, I swear I am not an employee of Jack Jones. lol
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:51 pm
While the Sears @ Scarborough town is currently offering 40% off $59.99 sears brand fall jackets, the Jack Jones in the mall seems to have better quality fall jackets that really were $100-$150 regular retail going for only $40
The math may work out to $4 more, but the quality (and more choice of colour) is also better.

As god as my witness, I swear I am not an employee of Jack Jones. lol
This is probably the rule and not the exception, I don't doubt you for a second! I saw the same thing in Pickering in the kitchen appliances. The "40% off" prices for the Nespresso machines... are the same prices you can buy them direct from the manufacturer! Of course Hilco hiked the "MSRP"s to $300-$400 when not even Nespresso charges that much!

Want to know the Hilco prices for Nespresso? They're right here:
https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/machine ... inal%22%7D

Didn't an earlier post point out that you'll get better prices at The Bay for the same stuff... and at least at The Bay it's not final sale, you can return, exchange, etc....

Hilco-Sears won't be worth shopping at until the 80% off level or better. Even if your closest store is on its final days, if they haven't gone down to 80%, it's still a ripoff... unsold stuff will end up somewhere else.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13629 posts
3407 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:46 pm
I believe the first poster to mention the Competition Bureau posted this link, not me. But here it is, with the photos:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/competi ... -1.4414953
Nice. Since Sears is dead they can bring all the charges they want, Sears won't be there to pay and they will get in line behind other creditors with higher priority so they will get nothing.
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:49 pm
Nice. Since Sears is dead they can bring all the charges they want, Sears won't be there to pay and they will get in line behind other creditors with higher priority so they will get nothing.
I would say Hilco should be hit with the fines since ultimately it's Hilco and not Sears who is posting fraudulent MSRP's.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13629 posts
3407 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:18 pm
I would say Hilco should be hit with the fines since ultimately it's Hilco and not Sears who is posting fraudulent MSRP's.
Works for me
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:25 pm
Works for me
Me too. They keep getting away with it (Eatons, Zellers, Target, Big Lots, Sears) it's about damn time somebody throws the book at them. And how would a court-imposed fine "get in line behind other creditors with higher priority"? I would think the government gets paid first...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
If you think Hilco is bad, here's another great scam!
Brands 4 less @ St. Clair West and Alberta avenue (not far from St. Clair and Oakwood)
currently has a sign in their window claiming to have 80% off sears clothing, but once you enter, the store has all the same inventory they always had.
NOTHING from sears at all...or maybe one or two items, if lucky.
Just a great scam to sucker people into buying their junk. Nothing more.

If any of their inventory really did come from sears (which I highly doubt) then it came into the store long before Sears went under, and is indeed NOT current Sears liquidation inventory.

Older pic of store: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Oakwoo ... 79.4356606
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6627 posts
1767 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 12:38 pm
If you think Hilco is bad, here's another great scam!
Brands 4 less @ St. Clair West and Alberta avenue (not far from St. Clair and Oakwood)
currently has a sign in their window claiming to have 80% off sears clothing, but once you enter, the store has all the same inventory they always had.
NOTHING from sears at all...or maybe one or two items, if lucky.
Just a great scam to sucker people into buying their junk. Nothing more.

If any of their inventory really did come from sears (which I highly doubt) then it came into the store long before Sears went under, and is indeed NOT current Sears liquidation inventory.

Older pic of store: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Oakwoo ... 79.4356606
Expect more scams like this as Sears nears the end as no-one from Sears will try to protect their trademarks or their names so it will be come the wild west for those questionable organizations who want to profit from the disappearance of Sears.