• Nov 24th, 2017 4:24 pm
Sep 8, 2006
384 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
Temporel wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:03 pm
Shoppers complain of price hikes during Sears' liquidation sale

" (...) a pair of Tender Tootsies riding boots she bought for $129.99 was $99 or even $79 at other online retailers."

" (...) she tried to bring back her items for a price adjustment or refund on Wednesday evening, but was told by a manager that there was nothing he could do about it."

“I looked at 4 different items I nearly bought a few weeks ago before the liquidation and all of them had their prices changed and were now higher to offset the ‘discount,’”

Vincent Power, a spokesperson for Sears Canada, said the reported markups are probably from regular price increases “some time ago,” as the retailer entered a new season.

Power said customers who encounter such markups will be given a discount off the lower price, and added that customers who find out after they’ve bought products should return to the store for a discount.

Who do you believe?
If a customer willingly buys at $x price, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the previous regular price or other store prices, it's a valid sale. She thought she was getting a good deal and was happy when buying the item but it looks like she never did her research. By making the purchase she removed the opportunity for another shopper to buy the product at that price. I agree with no price adjustment. Big signs say no refunds.
Apr 10, 2011
832 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal
Simby wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:21 pm
(...) I agree with no price adjustment. Big signs say no refunds.
Do you agree with raising the prices before putting "Big signs" that say “Store Closing,” / “Everything 20-50% Off,” and “Everything Must Go” ?
Sep 8, 2006
384 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
Temporel wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:52 pm
Do you agree with raising the prices before putting "Big signs" that say “Store Closing,” / “Everything 20-50% Off,” and “Everything Must Go” ?
I'm indifferent. Items should be priced based on supply and demand to maximize your profit. If the company is going out of business, there is no goodwill for future sales anyways so why not raise prices and see if someone will buy. I was at Sears Friday evening and laughed at how the prices after discounts during liquidation were higher than pre-liquidation. I took a picture of the line ups and went elsewhere in the mall. Were my feelings hurt? No. It was what I expected.

We all laugh at mattress discounts on RFD. I won't buy an item just because it is marked down 90%. The ending price after discounts needs to make sense to me. Regardless of how much % off there is, if the buyer likes the ending price they pay, it was a fair deal.

Why do you disagree? Because someone that is uninformed might pay a price that's too high but they think it's a good deal?
Mar 5, 2007
869 posts
444 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:11 pm
I mean all of us on RFD knew they were going to raise prices before discounting them. I believe it is actually an illegal practice but what do they have left to lose? I thought shoppers these days wouldn't be fooled as easily as in the past since anyone can just google an item to see how much it sells for anywhere else.
Based on the insane lineups I've seen, EVERYBODY is being fooled...
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14086 posts
2481 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly people buying at 10-20% off deserve to get riped off. They clearly have not done their homework on prices and this why the liquidators always wins. Imagine if Walmart jacked up all their prices by 10% and then said 10% off the entire store.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10141 posts
586 upvotes
Simby wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:21 pm
If a customer willingly buys at $x price, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the previous regular price or other store prices, it's a valid sale. She thought she was getting a good deal and was happy when buying the item but it looks like she never did her research. By making the purchase she removed the opportunity for another shopper to buy the product at that price. I agree with no price adjustment. Big signs say no refunds.
Even if it breaks the law?
Mar 5, 2007
869 posts
444 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:57 pm
There is often an argument between what's moral, and what's legal, especially when they don't match. In this case I'd have the opinion that what's moral matches what's legal.

That said, I'm very against TOO many laws, and to be frank, I'd consider this law overbearing. I'm not a fan of the "nanny state", where every aspect of life needs to be regulated. Buyer beware is something everybody should be familiar with, and laws like that make people lax in their vigilance, just to be scammed another way, IMHO.
Feb 22, 2016
786 posts
402 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:35 pm
Imagine if Walmart jacked up all their prices by 10% and then said 10% off the entire store.
Isn't that Crappy Tire's strategy all the time? All the prices are jacked up 200-500% then items take turns rotating as weekly flyer specials at "50-80% off"....
Sep 8, 2006
384 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
slowtyper wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:57 pm
Raising the prices does not break the law though. When Sears enters liquidation, Sears effectively ceases to exist. The liquidators are chosen by the creditors to maximize the amount of cash they can recover from the dissolution of Sears. When they advertise 50% discounts, as long as some items in store are in fact 50% off, they are following the rules and mark ups are allowed.
Oct 22, 2007
214 posts
53 upvotes
I went last week to the Lime ridge Mall one in Hamilton and the sales were non-existent. It's 20% off the regular price, which essentially made it the regular price, prior to when Sears announced its liquidation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5127 posts
1159 upvotes
Montreal
My wife works near a Sears, telling me a lot of people are going crazy and buying stuff left and right.
Kinda stupid when you know by December everything will be probably 60%+ off and near 80%+ by January.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5601 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I expect there will be a suggestion for a "Sears Closing Megathread". In anticipation, I suggest against this.

Sears offers a wide range of products. Some RFD users might be interested in hardware items, but not clothing. Some might be interested in clothing, but not luggage. Other might be interested in luggage, but not kitchen appliances.

Relegation of everything related to the Sears closing may result in missed opportunities.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Dec 30, 2011
268 posts
148 upvotes
NEPEAN
went there on Day one of clearance sales. My wallet is safe at this point. Worse than the Target Clearance.