Sears 20-50% Off Closeout Sale Starts Today

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 11:35 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1866 posts
220 upvotes
Waterlooo
Went to the fairview mall location recently... I think the appliances were MORE expensive than before the sale.
Mar 26, 2011
902 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
Simby wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 10:19 am
Raising the prices does not break the law though. When Sears enters liquidation, Sears effectively ceases to exist. The liquidators are chosen by the creditors to maximize the amount of cash they can recover from the dissolution of Sears. When they advertise 50% discounts, as long as some items in store are in fact 50% off, they are following the rules and mark ups are allowed.
There are laws that try and prevent misleading discounts (e.g. saying something is 50% off when it's always been that price), the issue is, even if you are in the right, what are you going to do? Sue the company going bankrupt?

The most you can do is try and raise people's awareness level, but there's just too much pressure, what with your job, the kids, traffic snarls, political strife at home and abroad. But I promise you, the second all those things go away, we'll have sex. Wait, what were we talking about again?
Jul 7, 2016
627 posts
302 upvotes
went there yesterday. all watches 30% off that could be called a sale especially the citizen watches.
fortunately none i wanted was there.
wanted an appliance they were more expensive .
Jun 18, 2013
146 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
Went for a peek 2 days ago, everything is still overpriced. Would wait at least another month to bother again.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10132 posts
585 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:04 pm
There is often an argument between what's moral, and what's legal, especially when they don't match. In this case I'd have the opinion that what's moral matches what's legal.

That said, I'm very against TOO many laws, and to be frank, I'd consider this law overbearing. I'm not a fan of the "nanny state", where every aspect of life needs to be regulated. Buyer beware is something everybody should be familiar with, and laws like that make people lax in their vigilance, just to be scammed another way, IMHO.
I'm not saying it should be a law, there actually is a law against having a sale and just making the regular price higher than it usually is.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10132 posts
585 upvotes
Simby wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 10:19 am
Raising the prices does not break the law though. When Sears enters liquidation, Sears effectively ceases to exist. The liquidators are chosen by the creditors to maximize the amount of cash they can recover from the dissolution of Sears. When they advertise 50% discounts, as long as some items in store are in fact 50% off, they are following the rules and mark ups are allowed.
I'm not arguing that the "up to" part is the illegal part. It is illegal to misrepresent a sale by having a "regular price" higher than what the actual regular price was. Although, this is a pretty gray area and with the fact that its a liquidator taking care of this, they still can't set "regular" prices to anything they want, however probably nobody is going to bother going after them for it.

From what I read of the law it interprets "regular" price as only being valid if this item was actually being sold for some time and some reasonable quantity at that level from them AND other retailers. So a court could look at what the regular price of an item sells for at every other big box store, and if its much lower than what sears (or the liquidation company) says is the regular price, that is NOT allowed.

I also am not saying that sears/liquidation company actually DID this....I haven't been in to sears to check any prices in years, however there is legal basis to the argument.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... html#false
Oct 7, 2016
963 posts
464 upvotes
Anyone know if they have any good deals on matresses or furniture in any of there GTA locations?
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Tangerine: 2.4% interest for new chequing & savings accounts

OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7591 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
waven101 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 1:12 pm
went there yesterday. all watches 30% off that could be called a sale especially the citizen watches.
fortunately none i wanted was there.
wanted an appliance they were more expensive .
Watches were frequently 30% off on sale at Sears on regular weekends.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10505 posts
3324 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
'Duped': Sears shoppers allege retailer inflated prices for liquidation sales
Sears shopper Elizabeth MacMillan says she feels misled by the retailer's liquidation sales, where she found items priced higher than when she last visited the store. 

"I was really, really turned off," MacMillan said. "It's deceptive."

She's one of several customers CBC News interviewed who uncovered altered prices at Sears liquidation sales. They suspect price tags were marked up to offset the advertised discounts that ranged from 20 to 40 per cent.

Sears Canada told CBC News no re-pricing was done for the liquidation sales, as the discounts are applied at checkout.

MacMillan doesn't buy it...
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5614 posts
752 upvotes
Mississauga
This isn't the first time this is going to happen and not the last. Double the price and give 50% off.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10505 posts
3324 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:59 am
This isn't the first time this is going to happen and not the last. Double the price and give 50% off.
Of course not. Sears, among others, has been busted by Ottawa in the past for inflating "regular" prices on everything from mattresses to jewelry, just so they could hype percentages off during sales. The point of the article is that this deceit continues unabated even in liquidation. Sears management have no shame--especially in bankruptcy.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 26, 2007
924 posts
162 upvotes
I came across the following article in CBC that many customers were feeling duped / mislead by Sears. What really caught my attention was the comment from the lawyer who said retailers can raise a price before a big sale. However, doesn't that then fail the test of selling a certain product and meeting time and quantity rules (recall Sears got sued with their Tire Business)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-c ... -1.4373270
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
1450 posts
138 upvotes
Pickering
Nothing new here, liquidation sales are known to be rip off central. Not sure why folks think this is news, sales are handled by outside party who only cares about the bottom line.
Last edited by maddawg on Oct 30th, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.