Sears 20-50% Off Closeout Sale Starts Today

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 11:35 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19057 posts
2638 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Nothing wrong with it. Creditors have to be paid.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4832 posts
710 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:30 am
I came across the following article in CBC that many customers were feeling duped / mislead by Sears. What really caught my attention was the comment from the lawyer who said retailers can raise a price before a big sale. However, doesn't that then fail the test of selling a certain product and meeting time and quantity rules (recall Sears got sued with their Tire Business)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-c ... -1.4373270
She visited the same Stratford location about three weeks earlier to scope out some items. When she returned for the liquidation sale last week, she says she was confused because the same items had gone up in price.

MacMillan pulled off the sticker price on a T-shirt she had eyed previously for her 10-year-old son.

The shirt was priced at $9.97, and underneath was the original, cheaper price she remembered: $7.97.

"It was like, 'OK, that's not cool,'" said MacMillan. "I was really, really taken aback."

As part of the liquidation sale, the T-shirt would be discounted by 20 per cent, which means she would be charged the original sticker price of $7.97. MacMillan didn't think that was a deal.
I mean. Let's say it was 20 percent off on $7.97 during liquidation. She's visiting this Sears store twice in two weeks to scope things out and and grumbling about the difference of $1.90 (with taxes) per T-shirt?
"It was very misleading," she said. "I ended up walking out without buying a thing."
If Sears or the liquidators did use these tactics, I get that it's disappointing, but. Just buy your kid the T-shirt.

Complaining about $1.90 over two trips to the same store. :facepalm: This person has no life.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5185 posts
1012 upvotes
BC
Somewhat misleading information provided to Ellen Roseman by Sears rep. Vince Power:

For a Kenmore vacuum you do not necessarily have to use generic bags from the Dollar Store or Home Depot. The vacuum was quite likely made by Panasonic, for example, so you can easily buy their bags.

In the reference to Kenmore dishwashers, while it's true that it may be a Bosch/Siemans/Miele, it could also be a Samsung. (Unless you bought it in the States in which case it was made by Whirlpool Corp.)

Just need to find the 3 digit prefix on the Model No. (it's the three numbers preceding the period) and look it up here: http://www.appliance411.ca/purchase/sears.shtml

Finding parts and service for Kenmore appliances should be the least of people's concerns. At least compared to lost money on extended warranties, coupons, cards, etc.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10508 posts
3326 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
macnut wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 6:58 pm
For a Kenmore vacuum you do not necessarily have to use generic bags from the Dollar Store or Home Depot. The vacuum was quite likely made by Panasonic, for example, so you can easily buy their bags.
That depends on the age of the unit. Vacuum cleaners, especially those made in the previous century, can literally last decades. We'd probably still have ours if we hadn't upgraded to central vac.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 31, 2017
26 posts
4 upvotes
Went to sears today. People are going nuts over 25% off so the good stuff will be gone before higher discounts kick in.
Mar 26, 2005
280 posts
221 upvotes
St Clements, MB
Went to Store 1432 (Kildonan Place, Winnipeg) on Friday afternoon where I scoured the home "Cuts" department and scored 4 placemats @ $1.47ea and a 2m USB-microUSB cord for $7.47. All these items were at their lowest price ever.
Nov 28, 2013
356 posts
117 upvotes
Montr
I will always remember the time I went to Sears when I looking for a fridge, I had gotten a price from future shop and Home Depot right next door to each other. I had asked an employee if they orice match, they said yes of course, he asked me to show the prices fork the stores and he went in back to speak to his manager for ten minutes and then returned and gave me his price, it was 400$ more expensive lol. I asked him again if he price matches and he said yes that's their best price! I asked if I could see the manager and he got her. She explained to me that they do price matches but not on everything and asked me if I waslooking for any other appliances. I didn't even bother haha
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11048 posts
14533 upvotes
I went to Sears and wanted to spend whatever amount I had left with my Sears Rewards card. To my surprise I was told it had expired. Anyone had this experience?
Have a nice day!

Mar 26, 2005
280 posts
221 upvotes
St Clements, MB
A Sears Rewards Card, which was issued after redeeming Sears Club points, expires 6 months after issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1395 posts
386 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I went to the Burnaby Metrotown store last week...was relatively quiet...most of the good stuff must have been sold. I honestly couldn't find anything worth getting there. I had $10 worth in Sears points and I spent an hour in there trying to figure out what to get without having to spend more...ended up just buying $10 worth of Lindt chocolate next to the tills.
I wanted to get an OXO salad spinner but there was not box, hence no price so they said they can't sell it to me bc it goes to the liquidators.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13626 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto
Increase to 25% off at Fairview Mall
"Deal of the Day" addict
Mar 26, 2005
280 posts
221 upvotes
St Clements, MB
Discounts are now 30-50% off in Winnipeg as of today.
Oct 7, 2016
963 posts
464 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:13 pm
Increase to 25% off at Fairview Mall
What did they still have around? Any furniture items?
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Tangerine: 2.4% interest for new chequing & savings accounts

OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
7346 posts
6292 upvotes
It's astounding that, even on their deathbed, Sears still manages to fail so hard. Only in their little glass bottle world does WTS mean "what the Sears" while the rest of the world facepalms. I guess that figures, since they failed bc they completely lost their bearings on retail reality