• Apr 1st, 2012 11:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1780 posts
68 upvotes

Sears Canada Craftsman Lifetime Warranty Problem

So I bought a Craftsman Torque Wrench more than 10 years ago and the lock ring broke so I took it into Sears to get it warranty. When I bought this product at the time I was told it has lifetime warranty and I don't even need my receipt because it Craftsman. Well I got the tough luck treatment because their policy now is 1 year for Torque Wrench. They can't even find my Model number on their system anymore and from what I can see, they are now selling the same model# item as the USA which they always had 1 year warranty. I didn't take the No for an answer so I did some researching and ...

Guess what I found from Google Cache. If you were reading this, where does it say my Craftmen Torque Wrench doesn't have the lifetime warranty. The lock ring broke so it is not the calibration I'm asking for to get fix. My Craftsman Torque Wrench has a model # 40203 which isn't even on their system anymore. I believed at that time they had difference inventory than Sears USA therefore the warranty wasn't the same as them.

On sale it is a $80 item, so it not about the money but the principle of them changing the warranty rules. I'm not sure if it was me that bought this up to their attention or not but after I made the claim their website took out that page but again thanks to Google Cache.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca

You'll never regret buying better quality tools. CRAFTSMAN® tools help you to get the job done quicker, easier and right the first time.

CRAFTSMAN® branded products were developed and tested for the home workshop to provide professional-quality performance.

CRAFTSMAN® is one of the leaders in innovation and new ideas. Excellent materials, superior construction and meticulous attention to detail built the reputation of the brand and continue to maintain it. The performance is your proof. The warranty is our promise of quality and value.

CRAFTSMAN® mechanics tools and CRAFTSMAN® hand tools have a Lifetime Warranty... they are guaranteed forever ...unconditionally, no questions asked. If one should ever fail to give you complete satisfaction, Sears will replace it, free of charge.*

Replacement:
A proof of purchase is not necessary to replace a tool. All that is necessary is that the "Craftsman" name is stamped on the tool. A 5 digit number located on the tool is required.

Important:
We provide repair kits for ratchets. Ratchet handles that are broken or bent are covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty.

*CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools & CRAFTSMAN hand tools include: Sockets, Wrenches, Wrench sets, Hex wrenches, Ratchet wrench handles, Micro adjustable torque wrenches ( not including calibration), Pipe wrenches, Hammers, Screwdrivers, Pliers, Cutters, Scroll and Metal saws (except saw blades), Hand drills, Hand saws, Squares, Levels, Drift punch and drive punch sets, Shears are covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty.

Craftsman Tools not covered by the lifetime warranty include: Micro-adjustable torque wrench calibration, Hand tools cutting edges, Portable electric tools, Bench and Stationary tools, Battery operated tools, Precision measuring tools.

The following brand name tools are not covered by the Craftsman warranty: Companion, Estwing, Fuller, Grey & Footprint, Stanley, DeWalt, Skil, Bosch, Delta, Makita, Black and Decker.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
Far too long a post. My attention wandered too much and I never did figure out what the purpose of the post was, other than maybe "Attention world! Sears screwed me!"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1780 posts
68 upvotes
woof wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 11:37 am
Far too long a post. My attention wandered too much and I never did figure out what the purpose of the post was, other than maybe "Attention world! Sears screwed me!"

Yea basically :) .. but everyone can make that claim with out any context. so I choose to explain myself how I came to that conclusion. BTW, if anyone out there still has their warranty paper for their very old Craftsman Torque Wrench I would like to hear from you. They asked me to look for mine after 10+ years haha.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
Problem is, no one will do a damn thing about it when big retailers recant their "lifetime warranty" claims . . . and the retailers know it.

I've had the same problem more than once with Canuck Wheel's Mastercrap tools that they used to tout incessantly as "guaranteed forever". On two occasions I've been basically laughed out of the store by arrogant managers when I tried to exchange broken handtools. Their responses seem to be pretty stock: 'Hey, you can't seriously believe we're going to replace a screwdriver or a wrench that's five years old, now can you?'

Principles? There aren't any. All's fair in love and war . . . and retail, apparently.

And companies like Sears and CT wonder why consumers are staying away in droves!

Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15046 posts
749 upvotes
Wingding wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 12:32 pm
On two occasion's I've been basically laughed out of the store by arrogant store managers sneering at me when I tried to exchange broken handtools. Their response is pretty stock: 'Hey, you can't seriously believe we're actually going to replace a screwdriver or a wrench that's five years old, now can you?'

<snip>

And companies like Sears and CT wonder why consumers are staying away in droves!

I bet they're not wondering any longer. They know their piss poor customer service policies have driven the customers into the arms of stores like Costco, Wal-Mart etc or even Dollarama. However it's likely too late and the company is too decayed from the inside out to do anything about it.

At least if I buy a screwdriver at Dollarama I know I'll be on my own if it breaks but hell it was $1 compared to the $5-$10 they'd sell it for at Cantire, Sears etc.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1551 posts
424 upvotes
Prince George
If someone does provide you with a copy of the original warranty wording so you have proof, perhaps you could look at small claims court?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1840 posts
80 upvotes
Wingding wrote:
Problem is, no one will do a damn thing about it when big retailers recant their "lifetime warranty" claims . . . and the retailers know it.

I've had the same problem more than once with Canuck Wheel's Mastercrap tools that they used to tout incessantly as "guaranteed forever". On two occasion's I've been basically laughed out of the store by arrogant store managers sneering at me when I tried to exchange broken handtools. Their response is pretty stock: 'Hey, you can't seriously believe we're actually going to replace a screwdriver or a wrench that's five years old, now can you?'

Principles? There aren't any. All's fair in love and war . . . and retail, apparently.

Speaking of CT, I bought a "mastercraft maximum" torque wrench from them about 4 years ago. It had a lifetime warranty. Worked fine for 2 years, but then the tension adjuster got stuck so when I brought back, they just gave me a new one. No receipt needed.
Sep 10, 2004
517 posts
80 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wingding wrote:
NG wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 12:46 pm
I bet they're not wondering any longer. They know their piss poor customer service policies have driven the customers into the arms of stores like Costco, Wal-Mart etc or even Dollarama.
I don’t think the top executives of these corporations wonder at all. I think they believe that they understand the consumer and that the most profitable way to deal with today’s market is to do business “fast and dirty” --- sell for as much mark-up as you can get away with, make lofty claims in your ads and press releases and then, the moment the consumer’s cash is in the bag, totally disconnect.

Corporate reputation is so-o-o 1080s. Relationship marketing is so-o-o 1990s. The turn-of-the-century retail philosophy is grab what you can, stick the customer with extra charges and fees at every opportunity and blame all your business problems on the Internet, the economy and the fickle consumer.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2677 posts
310 upvotes
Newmarket
get them on twitter and facebook. many people get results from contacting the companies through twitter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1780 posts
68 upvotes
After another call, they finally agreed to replace mine under warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4793 posts
689 upvotes
I had a similar issue with the "lifetime warranty" on a Nutone bathroom heatlamp/fan unit.
I called Nutone to ask for a repair or replacment fan motor. They told me that I had to have the original receipt. I replied - "who saves the receipt for a bathroom fan, especially since the unit has a lifetime warranty - why would I need the receipt, as long as it exists, it is under warranty"?
Their reply was a "No receipt including confirmation that a professional electrician installed it...no warranty"...and since we now only give a one year warranty on new units, how do we know you bought it when the price included a "lifetime warranty"?
I offered to take a photo of the label including the serial number and that surely they could track the manufacturing date by s/n?
They were firm - no original purchase receipt - no warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
Many stores/manufacturers demand that original receipt thing. It's baloney, just a way for them to avoid their warranty promises since they know very few people keep the paperwork for any length of time if at all.
× < >